Good sites for ERE-style food

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
tjt

Post by tjt »

Anyone know of some good websites, books, or other resources for creating a ERE-style meal plan? My wife and I have no experience doing much of anything other than eating pre-processed foods. So we're starting from scratch.
I'd like to figure out what staples we should keep in the fridge/freezer/pantry, recipes, storing strategies (canning, freezing, etc) and anything else we should know. We're excited to go do it, we just don't know how!
I'm willing to experiment and learn, but if there's a resource that covers all these things in detail that would be a helpful guide.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

Using your favorite search engine, browse for "site:http://forum.earlyretirementextreme.com/ recipes." I think this will provide a good start to your question.

S

Post by S »

This site is good if you're looking for a plan: http://www.cookforgood.com/ She has monthly meal plans by season and suggested shopping lists to go with them which would give you an idea of pantry staples. Most of the recipes are fairly simple, but if you are just learning how to cook then you might need to do some basic skill learning first elsewhere (how to chop an onion, how to knead bread, how to tell the food is "done", etc depending your skill level). I have not followed any of the plans, but I have used some of the recipes and liked them.
The most ERE way to go is to learn lots of ways to make basic beans and grain/potatoes taste great and supplement with vegetables that are on sale or in season. DH and I eat a lot of chili for example which is just dried beans, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and lots of tasty spices. I also like to make Indian dishes since they have a lot of flavor with simple ingredients. We also eat a lot of bean burritos. I use spices to keep things interesting (buy them loose by weight, not in expensive jars). We mix it up with more than just the very cheapest food, so our diet is not as cheap as can be, but still a price I'm comfortable with. Just learning to cook at home will do a lot for your food expenses even if it's expensive food (steak at home vs. steak house). With practice it'll be just as good.
Our staples are onions, bell peppers, dried beans (black, kidney, lentil, and chickpea), garlic, potatoes, and butter plus a weekly selection of vegetables. We rarely eat meat, but the seafood section seems to be a good place to look for deals on almost past date fish (like $4 for two mahi mahi filets). We stock up when the fish section has a sale and freeze what doesn't get eaten that day. Just put the frozen fish in the bottom of the fridge to thaw before you go to bed and it's ready to cook tomorrow for dinner.

badwoogie

Post by badwoogie »

Well, depending on just how much free time you have and how adventurous you are, I would say the most ERE-compatible diet would be to grow as much as you can of your own vegetables, maybe some backyard chickens for eggs and occasional poultry, and even hunting for meat. Although I am limited in time now, this is my eventual goal. While gardening can be done fairly cheaply, you are going to need some dedicated equipment if you take up hunting, i.e. rifle, bow, etc. Of course this depends on where you live, and it can definitely be intimidating if you've never hunted before and don't have friends who do. It can also quickly become a money sinkhole, if you find yourself becoming a gun nut. That being said, you can hunt just about anything in North America with a 30-06 or .308, unless you live in Alaska.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Try to avoid anything that has to go in the refrigerator except leftovers. Fresh, dried, smoked, canned, or salted is the way to go and then you don't worry about losing a food investment when the power goes out for an extended period of time.

B

Post by B »

In trying to convince friends and SOs to eat healthy and cheap, I've found the biggest hurdle is cutting the addiction to the big three: Sugar, Fat and Salt. If you are used to eating out or buying preprocessed foods then ERE-style eating might seem bland to you. If this is the case, I'd identify which of the big three you are most addicted to so you can avoid being tempted to fall back into the old diet.
If it's Sugar, then spend a little extra and incorporate something sweet into your diet at least until you are weened off Sugar. Dried fruits can easily take the place of candy.
If it's Fat, try some using fats that are good for you. Cook lean meats with coconut or olive oil, cut them up and add them to rice dishes. Sauteed asparagus or mushrooms are a nice addition too.
If it's Salt, then what you may be craving is the way salt brings out a food's flavor. Try to appreciate the food for itself, eat more slowly. If you can't get over the blandness at first, try cooking with flavorful spices. Indian cuisine is a great inspiration. I like garlic and onion.
Replacing whatever you’ve become addicted to with a healthier, cheaper alternative is part of a system. Any kind of behavior change requires a system, the vast majority of people cannot just rely on their willpower. Use the motivation and willpower you have now to set up a system that will be easy to maintain, even in your weakest moments when you want to run out and buy a Big Mac. When you’re tired and hungry and drive by a McDonalds, you won’t have as much willpower as you do now. Use it while you have it.
Other parts of this system would be to buy plenty of the foods you should be eating, prepare the meals in advance, and make them easy to go from frozen to ready-to-eat.

badwoogie

Post by badwoogie »

@B

Not to hijack the thread, but what exactly is your definition of "fats that are good for you"? The reason I ask is you say cook lean meats, but then recommend coconut oil, which is almost entirely saturated fat, while animal fat is a fairly even mix of saturated and monounsaturated. Not trying to start an argument, just curious about this apparent conflict of advice. (Disclaimer: I follow a paleo-type diet high in bacon, eggs and "evil" red meat, while forgoing sugars, grains and most starchy vegetables, and would put my cholesterol profile and blood pressure numbers up against anyone's.)

B

Post by B »

@badwoogie
I agree that animal fat isn't necessarily "evil", but not all animals are raised to the same standards (I know I'm preaching to the choir here, since you follow a paleo diet). In recommending lean meat I'm shooting for both low price and low harm. I imagine someone trying to minimize their food budget wouldn't be interested in a diet that involved a lot of high quality meat. If one is going to eat cheap factory-farmed meat, I'd avoid the fat.
The recommendation of coconut or olive oil is instead of other cooking oils, which I didn't clarify.
Finally, I must admit that my advice is very entry-level and targeted towards someone who is used to a fast-food and frozen box dinner. In my relationships with people on that diet the fact I won't eat that stuff has been a source of strain. The advice comes from what I've learned trying prepare meals we'd both like. It's far from a blueprint to the perfect life-long diet, and more like a safe babystep in the right direction.

Surio

Post by Surio »

I second rePete's idea to search the forums on food, yoghurt, etc....
Also, the recent post on Indian cuisine sounds right up your alley?