DealExtreme for parts and accessories

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

Hello all--
Just wanted to post a link to dealextreme (have to love the name) http://www.dealextreme.com/ They seem to carry a large selection of very inexpensive parts and accessories (just got a PS2 to USB converter for $1.13 US). Much of it seems geared to adapting older technology, i.e., keeping things alive and functioning. The interesting thing is that they ship worldwide for free (upgrade for speed will cost), regardless of order size or amount. They also claim to ship out of Hong Kong and thus collect no tax either. Has anyone else had experience with them? I was only looking for a specific part, so haven't really searched the site.

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

I think a colleague of mine regularly uses it and is very positive about them.

Bakari

Post by Bakari »

Its very cheap stuff. Largely below WalMart level quality.

However everything I have gotten from them is functional (including some high-tech devices)

You can get some things there that are not available in the US at all.
The prices more than compensate for the quality.

Even with my employee discount (I buy at wholesale!) I can still get some bike parts cheaper from DealExtreme.

The customer service is surprisingly good - when an order arrived with something missing, they answered my email promptly, took my word for it that it was missing, and sent out a new order (still no shipping) with the missing item.
Only drawback is the shipping takes up to several months.