Car-Free Living Feasibility

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
SkyOnFire

Car-Free Living Feasibility

Post by SkyOnFire »

Hey guys. I'm thinking about ditching my truck, but need some help with the decision as I've never not had a vehicle and it's scary for me to entertain the thought of not owning one. But I realize there is potentially a lot of money to be saved. I live in northern CA where the weather is great and pretty much everything is within walking/biking distance: work, grocery stores, etc. The truck sits out front of my house right now and I sometimes dont touch it for days at a time.

I'm reluctant because i make several out of town trips a year to see my family (1-1/2 hour one way) maybe once every two or three months, and I go on vacation maybe a few times a year to places at least an hour away.

What are your thoughts around this? Anyone have good things to say about Zipcar? Is owning a motorcycle cheaper? The truck is paid off and i pay $50/month for insurance right now and gas is about $40/month. I was thinking I could sell it and put maybe $9k or 10k into my portfolio and buy a newer bike or motorcycle.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Car-Free Living Feasibility

Post by jacob »

Read this: http://www.amazon.com/How-Live-Well-Wit ... 580087574/

And give it a trial run ... see if you can't touch the truck for weeks at a time, then months. Try the zipcar even if you still have the truck just to gain experience. If you don't have your own car insurance, renting zipcars can get quite expensive.

Mostly it comes down to personality. Many who've "always had a car" have a hard time living without them. Many who've never had a car have no desire to get one and no problem living without them.

Egg

Post by Egg »

Never owned a motorised vehicle of any kind, but I imagine you'll get a bit of a lifestyle shock from cutting it out as it requires a totally different attitude towards personal mobility.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

I don't ever have to do long distance travel so I can't provide any insight there, but I went car free in February and the transition has been easy actually. Really, its all about your attitude. I was so determined to make it work I started cycling everywhere even before I got rid of the car. There was no 'shock to the system'.

Now, for those rare occasions where I can't get about by bike, e.g. formal occasions, need to travel with SO (who can't ride), hauling bulky stuff (MMM swears by bike trailers, but I haven't taken the plunge yet), I'll either ask my family for a lift, get a taxi or rent a car depending on the type of journey. There's no bus routes nearby so that isn't even an option for me. Obviously my spending on taxi's has increased a little, but nowhere near the cost of car ownership.

If I were you, my thought would be to decrease the frequency of trips back 'home', I'm assuming trains are not an option?. For that, you'll pay dearly. Although, long journeys are exactly what car ownership was intended for (not 1 mile journey to the shop for milk).

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

The book that Jacob linked covers this well and is a quick read.

Many of the objections to going car-free or car-lite are arguments from incredulity (http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argument_from_incredulity). "I've never tried to figure out how to buy groceries without a car, therefore buying groceries without a car is impossible." Consider that many people cannot drive (children, many elderly, people with certain disabilities, people with revoked licenses) so society has provided ways for those people to live their lives. Perhaps the biggest barrier is taking the initiative to Google how to do things sans-car and the courage to give it a try.

Alternatives to check out: walking, bicycling, public bus, public train, private shuttles (to airports, amusement parks, etc.), private coach bus (Greyhound, Megabus), car share (Zipcar), conventional rental car (Enterprise will pick you up), Home Depot pickup truck, conventional taxi, ride share (Uber), "guy with a truck" on craigslist, always try to conduct business online/by phone/by snail mail before visiting retail locations, go cashless or use a nearby ATM instead of a faraway bank branch, buy miscellaneous household goods from Amazon or eBay, grocery delivery (Vons, Amazon Fresh, or similar), online pharmacy, walk to corner stores within 2 blocks even if the selection/price is suboptimal, keep your house "stocked" so you know you're due to buy something *before* you need it urgently.

There are many of alternative solutions that don't present themselves until you look. For example, I didn't know that 7-11 stores have ATMs that are fee-free for most credit unions until I actually did a search for a branch near my house. Or, my parents thought it was "impossible" to get from their house to the airport by public transit, until I actually looked at the airport's website and found 3 competing shuttle and limo services.

For the infrequent family trips, I'd scope out private bus service or renting a car for those rare occasions.

Like others said, there's nothing stopping you from trying a trial run to see how long you can go without touching the truck.

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife »

I think this is more dependent on your area. Since everything is walking/biking distance anyways, including work, I think Jacobs approach above of doing a gradual trial run without selling the truck is a good starting point before jumping in 100% out of the gate.

That said, I lived walking distance to shops and such, even a transit center, but when my car was totaled and I had to wait 2 months (maybe more, don't remember exactly) to get another car, it was really annoying getting around. Sometimes using the transit system to get 16 miles to another city involved 2 transfers, walking in the rain and cold and 3 hours round trip on the bus. All well when you are healthy and young. Not so much if you are ill and getting old.

Then again, a few years later I ended up taking the bus from a block away to work everyday and it was faster than driving and saved me on parking. I would not touch my truck except on the weekends to hang out with my gf at the time. My neighbors (who were friends of hers) thought I was unemployed because my truck never moved during the day. That lasted me about 3 years before I ended up moving and changing jobs at the same time.

The point is, even depending on where you are, your specific circumstances at the time, it can either be fine, or a huge hassle.

I intend to get a bike and give it a try, especially since pretty much everywhere I've lived was walking/biking distance to everything I NEEDED except for work, however; while working I absolutely prefer to have a car. Even in retirement I would still prefer the freedom a car provides, and it's worth the $50 a month for insurance and limited use for when the bike or transit don't cut it. Also, will you want to bike everywhere when you are 60?

SkyOnFire

Post by SkyOnFire »

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably give it a trial run to see how long I can go without touching it. Should be interesting.

I already bike around for groceries and pretty much everything else. I'm a one man band (no wifey or kids) so it's just me to shop for. I can just stuff most things into a backpack for the most part.

Its the out of town trips that will be difficult to get around.

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

Your transportation annual costs are about $1,200. You should investigate whether public transit/trains/buses go to your destinations. For the types of trips you are doing public transit should cost way less. You may also want to investigate a personal car service/taxi/uber, but given the frequency of trips you may just break even on the costs or even spend more. If these two options don't work for you, then I would keep your vehicle.

startbyserving

Post by startbyserving »

Personally I would not recommend a motorcycle purely for saving money. Having rode for years in the past the lack of safety trumps any potential savings. (Perhaps that was largely the lack of safety with me driving :D )

That said some, motorcycles cost less than $100 per year for insurance and 60 MPG or more is obtainable depending on the model. I was really hoping a (usable) 3 wheeled car like the Elio would happen and that would be a good middle ground for your situation.

- I'd say renting a car, you could come out way ahead. If you both live near major airports 1 way rentals can also be very affordable in CA at certain times.
- I've considered keeping an old honda civic in my garage with no insurance. Then for a trip, put insurance on it , Get your tags fixed at the DMV, drive for time needed. When finished: Park in Garage. Cancel insurance - Return plate to DMV. - Likely better to just rent a car, unless car is needed 2-4 weeks at a time.

BTW: For those going without cars. Consider that it could be difficult / expensive to get insurance again after a lapse (Yes, insurance is a scam). If you have any family that might be able to keep you on theirs it's definitely worth it. (The cost will be negligible if you're over 30 with good driving history)

BPA

Post by BPA »

Good luck with your trial.

I live in an area where winters are cold and snowy and public transit is infrequent, and I have never had a car. I walk and bike most places and maybe twice a month use public transit. I spend the summers on the east coast which is a 2 hour plane ride away and get along in a resort community without a car too.

I grinned at the example someone posted above about how people can't understand how I get groceries. That is the question I am asked most often. Somehow I've managed not to starve to death for all of these years. :D