Blogger Insurance?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
DividendGuy

Blogger Insurance?

Post by DividendGuy »

I know there are some on this forum that also blog either as a side hustle or as a primary revenue source, so I'm hoping someone might be able to offer me some suggestions.

I've recently been strongly thinking about ways to insure my personal property against any issues that may come up due to writing for a living. Specifically, I fear getting sued for defamation or something similar. I think the risk is extremely low writing in the personal finance space, but it's there.

I was originally looking into an LLC, but after speaking to others it seems that the benefits might be unclear. Since I don't have any employees I'm basically operating it solely, so my protection might not hold up as much as I initially thought.

Then I started looking into umbrella insurance. Not a big deal to get, I think that might be for personal use only. Like if I got sued for an accident and my coverage on auto insurance was exceeded. I could be wrong here, but that's as I understand it.

So then I started looking for general business insurance, but my insurance company advised me they offer no insurance for such a business. (I use Progressive)

Then looked into media insurance, and it's cost prohibitive. Generally just meant for major publishers and big media.

So I'm back to square one. I did a google search on this and apparently there is one company out there offering something called "Blogger Insurance" but it's an affiliate of an insurance company I've never heard of. Would rather deal with one of the bigger companies in case anything ever happened and I needed to make use of my protection.

Maybe umbrella insurance will work just fine?

Any tips? Thanks so much!