What's in a Shelter?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Mater

Post by Mater »

This topic has probably been visited already on this site at some point, however, I'll give it a shot anyway.
Being a virtual nomad and traveling a fair amount in my current job, I try to keep an eye out for shelters/homes and what people can live in and still be fairly comfortable. I've spent two months living in a tent in the desert (air conditioned of course, which made it very comfortable), I've lived in hotel rooms for bordering 3 months and stayed in countless others, lived in dorm rooms for months at a time, apartments, a 1200 sq ft house, a 1700 sq ft house, a 3000 sq ft house and currently a 49 sq ft plywood shack called a B-Hut for the last 4.5 months.
To be comfortable, I'd like to think all we need is four sturdy walls and the warmth of another soul nearby. Strangely enough, after four months in my tiny 49 sq ft space, I find it strangely comfortable, minus the warmth of another soul nearby. My biggest gripe is having to walk 100yds to the nearest bathroom, which is particularly painful for those 3:00am bathroom urges. Small spaces force us to simplify and think about what few material things are really important to us. It has taught me how to make the most out of a few simple luxuries (in my case, books, a laptop and an espresso machine). It has also somewhat reset, in my mind, how I judge a space. When I first started living in my current 49sq ft room, I thought it was incredibly small and cramped. Now, it feels rather comfortable and though I wouldn't say spacious, definitely adequate.
Thoughts?

djc

Post by djc »

Is there any way you can post pictures of your B-Hut?
djc

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

I've spent two months living in a tent in the desert (air conditioned of course...)
Air Conditioning??? PFFFT! Lightweight! ;-)

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Shelter: provide a buffer (thermal, sonic, vibration, social) between me and the elements such that uninterrupted safe sleep is routine.
Home: provide a vermin-free meal storage & preparation area, personal hygiene area, privacy area, and gathering area (probably in that order).

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

How do you air condition a tent? That sounds horribly inefficient.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@dragoncar--all you need is an opening, some duct tape for around the opening, a power source, and something to sit the unit on (milk crate works fine). If you put up a pop-up awning over the tent and unit, it does a surprisingly good job at keeping the tent comfortable. The only thing I don't like is the noise, but if you have noisy neighbors at the campground then the AC noise is a good thing (like white noise).
If you search for camping in disneyworld you'll see lots of photos of people tent camping with AC units.

Mater

Post by Mater »

@djc, I'll see if I can find a pic, however, picture a 14' X 30' plywood square cabin and there you have it, nothing special, just plywood and a roof.
@jason, I think you would be surprised what you can become accustomed to, given an adjustment period.
@mikeBos, you got a point, however, living in a tent in Bahrain when its 110 outside for months at a time pretty much demands some kind of airflow system, Uncle Sugar was happy to oblige:).
@George, I guess I was using the term Shelter and Home interchangably. I'm fascinated by the idea of building my home on a simple scale and being mortgage free. That's probably why I would accept very simple living conditions, much to the dismay of my wife:)
@dragoncar, it is terrbily innefficient to A/C a tent. Howevever, when we're talking industrial size tents they hold air slightly better than a standard tent and typically have a central canvas duct that runs along the center ceiling of the tent with velcroe flaps to distribute the air. It works like a champ!

Wes

Post by Wes »

Years ago I spent several weeks helping out at a ranch in northern California. It was a dilapidated place with no housing. I slept under the stars on a few hay bales pushed together, covered by a few old horse blankets. It was invigorating to say the least. Almost every night I would open my eyes and one or two does would be stealing a snack from the very bales I was sleeping on! I guess the old horse blankets masked my scent.

jzt83

Post by jzt83 »

For $800 a month you can rent a 78-square-foot studio in Manhattan:
http://youtu.be/Q4FoAr8i26g
It's actually just a room with no kitchen and a shared bath. I'm sure he could find a larger room for rent in a regular apt for the same price or marginally more. I think the level of compromises he has to experience is way not worth the luxury of living in Manahattan. I think it's just criminal that landlords charge so much for rent.

Mater

Post by Mater »

@bigato, it's amazing where we can be comfortable while in the right frame of mind. I tend to get inspiration from my surroundings and like being close to nature. Sleeping outside is the ultimate way to be closer to nature.

Mater

Post by Mater »

@jzt83, I'm amazed what people will spend on rent in big cities. 800$ would get you a really nice apartment in most cities!

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

I have lived in all kinds of things, even a cardboard box for three weeks on the port at Saudi Arabia. I can get a home just about anywhere with a little labor and thinking. Long term? No.

Once we get past the elements and a place to arrange your few needs, my biggest want is privacy. Privacy is paramount. When the day is over, my concern is a place to go into reclusive posture. Unless there is an emergency, I don't want to hear anything or see anyone when I am "home". This may sound trite, but I feel a person's privacy is a human right.

To illustrate, I must make a short story here. When I was engaged in my career, it being military, we could in essence at times, simply take the day off if we wished. Also there was the 30 days of leave and all the holidays. Many people did not take the days off and their leave would run up into the cut off. (You could carry 60 days of leave, but after 60 you lost anything over that at the end of the year). I had a hard time making my people take their leave. I never understood why exactly, but it was a problem. I sent one NCO home due to his losing leave, and in two hours he showed back up at the office. I asked him why he came back. The answer was "I just can't stand to sit at home alone". I shook my head and told him being at home alone was one of the pinnacles of my pleasure. It is pure relaxation for me.

So privacy is a driving factor in someplace to live.

Now that I am retired, I certainly enjoy my home. I have everything I want in it, and while many would have no use for living where and how I do (it is too humble and 70's for the McMansion crowd), it is my little piece of heaven on earth.

Home is where and how you make it. All it really needs to do is provide basic human needs of security, protection from the elements, a bit of storage, and the modern comforts of water, heat/air, etc. I am not a recluse, but like having the ability to be one if I choose (for a good break).

Mater

Post by Mater »

Interesting slant Spencer. I agree with the privacy/reclusivity part. When I come home at the end of the day, I don't want to be bothered by the outside world and I cherish the quiet moments.
I've never understood people not wanting to take their leave either?? I've had 60 days of leave saved up regularly for the past few years, mostly because my first few years in the military I was in training and didn't have much of a chance to take leave. I'll have about 70 days of leave built up when I return from my current deployment and can't wait for the time off! I plan on taking 6 weeks off (two weeks of post mission crew rest and 1 month of leave).
Cheers!

jzt83

Post by jzt83 »

With some people, they just don't know what to do when given free time to do whatever they want. Some get used to having structured things to do and being around co-workers. When you're suddenly all alone at home with tons of free time it's like "now what?". Some retirees get bored after retiring and take a pat-time job to stave off boredom and loneliness. Some people just have a hard time adjusting to having free time especially when conditioned to rely on their employers to provide a social outlet and a place to do stuff to kill time. It's hard to coordinate rendezvous with friends as everyone's schedule conflicts with one another, this leaves many to be alone often and seeing friends on an infrequent basis.