spoonman's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
spoonman

Re: spoonman's Journal

Post by spoonman »

#072 09/08/2014 -- Yosemite!

We're off to Yosemite for three days. Really looking forward to it because I've never been. I had to get up really early in the morning way back in May to reserve our camping spot online through their reservation process, the place is super popular.

We haven't hiked in a while, so we're gonna keep it simple and just do two hikes, one long 8 mile trail, and one shorter. I'm glad that we kept our camping equipment from our last move. This will probably be our last camping trip in a very long while.

We'll check back in four days!

llorona

Post by llorona »

Belated congrats on achieving your goal! Hope you enjoy Yosemite. It's stunning.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Have fun in yosemite! It's great. Vernal Falls on the mist trail is a good one. Bring a raincoat because you get wet walking on the trail if there is a lot of flow (probably not this late in the year).

Tuolumne Meadows is also interesting but if you only have three days I'd probably stay in the valley.

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

Wanted to come over to the ERE forums and officially scream "CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!" :)

I realized I never came over here and did that. The blog/writing keeps me busy sometimes.

I think it's so cool that you two are living off of your dividend income. It's something I'm aiming to do, but you guys are actually living it. That's awesome.

By the way, is the PNW a permanent spot? Or do you guys plan on moving to different places every couple of years? Was PNW picked for a particular reason?

I ask those questions because I'll have to come up with a similar plan once I hit FI. Claudia has indicated her desire to travel around the US or a bit, or maybe live in a different place every summer. We'll see.

Keep it up! Enjoy Yosemite. :)

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

soppnman wrote:We're off to Yosemite for three days
Hope you liked Yosemite – if you ignore all the burnt forest, and the repercussions of severe draught in CA on the waterfalls. How was Nevada fall? (8 mile reference), unless you made a modest mention of oneway distance to Half Dome :-)

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

#073 09/12/2014 -- Back from Yosemite

@DividendGuy: Thanks! It’s good to see you around these parts. I totally understand the belated congrats, you have been very busy these last few months. The PNW will be a temporary spot where we can safely acclimate to our new budget and lifestyle. The plan is to stay there 6-12 months and then go international. We picked the PNW as a launching point because rentals are affordable and because the weather isn’t too cold in the winter. Thanks for stopping by!

---------------------

We are back from a brief-but-awesome trip to Yosemite. Spoongirl’s parents tagged along and we used their SUV to drive there. The vehicle was fully loaded with camping equipment and goodies. We took our time driving up there and made a few stops along the way, so it took about 6 hours to get there from LA. Although the drive was long, it ended up being rewarding because there was a lot to see on the way up.

The second we drove into Yosemite Valley we were stunned by the incredible geological formations. I was surprised by how close all the granite hills (or perhaps mountains, I’m not sure) were to each other. From a single perspective we could see Half Dome and a bunch of other incredible geological formations, most of which looked like they were sawed in half. The pine trees and vegetation on the valley floor were beautiful. The view was plucked right out of National Geographic or a Discovery Channel nature show (I think one show, called North America, repeatedly featured a timelapse of Yosemite Valley).

We set camp in the Upper Pines Campground, which I had to reserve earlier in May (I can’t emphasize enough how early that is, the place is so darn popular that’s what you have to do to ensure a spot). Upon arrival, deploying the camp equipment was overwhelming because everywhere we turned there was something stunning to look at. The campsite itself was good because we were situated at the corner of a loop and had extra space to spread out our two tents. Our four-person tent is starting to show signs of wear, we noticed a few tears and scratches in the fabric, but it actually felt great to know that we are putting our camping equipment to work.

The original plan was to go on a mini-hike right after setting up camp, but being tired from the drive we just decided to hang back and enjoy the campground. One of the great things of having Spoongirl’s parents with us was benefiting from their awesome cooking. They brought a tiny, single-panel gas stove that uses a small can of propane that came in super handy. Aside from that, the rest of our equipment was quite modest by camper standards. Some people elsewhere in the campground took things too far and made their spots look like a forward command center with satellite dishes and stuff. Anyway, we ended the night sitting by our campfire, sipping some wine, and munching on s'mores (quite possibly one of the best things ever invented by humankind =) ).

The next day we had a hearty breakfast and set out to conquer the Upper Yosemite Falls hike, an incredibly challenging hike that features a bunch of switchbacks and an elevation gain of 2,600 feet (790 meters). What made the hike so darn challenging was the steep elevation. We only managed to go as far as the top of the lower Yosemite Falls, so about 1200 feet. The primary reason we decided to turn back was due to the fact that we were running out of drinking water (I know, a rookie mistake), and with the temperature in the high 80 degrees we drank more than usual. I also did not realize how steep this trail would be and the impact that has on our body. Here’s a photo we took on our way down:

You can see Half Dome in the background and the lush valley below. There was a fire burning at the back of the Half Dome area and in the morning visibility was low, so we were fortunate to have the air clear up by the afternoon when we made our way down the trail. I should also note that all of the waterfalls in the area were dry because they are actually powered by runoff from snow melt, which is long gone in this time of the year. But that wasn’t a big deal in the end, it’s just something to look forward to when we go back in the future, which we’ll plan for in the early spring when the waterfalls are nice and full.

By the time we made it down to the trailhead we were completely wiped out This hike, which was just under four hours in total, really tested our limits. I think I can go farther with hiking boots (I was wearing running shoes, which are not at all optimized for that kind of activity) and the right amount of water. I should note that Spoongirl’s parents only walked a small portion of the hike before they decided to turn around. We met up with them later and enjoyed a nice relaxing dinner at the camp.

The final day we limited ourselves to a short hike to Mirror Lake. The great California drought was noticeable because most of the water along the Merced river was gone and the water in Mirror Lake was nearly non-existent. Again, something to look forward to the day we go back to the park in a future spring. Later that day we drove back to LA and managed city traffic well.

I have been quite busy after pulling the trigger three weeks ago. We’ve traveled to Florida, the PNW, and Yosemite, quite a bit to chew on. At first it felt as if we’ve been on an extended busy vacation rather than FI. Looking forward to the next few weeks because there won’t be as much on our plate in terms of travel.

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

spoonman wrote:By the time we made it down to the trailhead we were completely wiped out This hike, which was just under four hours in total, really tested our limits. I think I can go farther with hiking boots (I was wearing running shoes, which are not at all optimized for that kind of activity) and the right amount of water.
Trail running shoes are plenty unless you have special footwear needs. We used to day hike Half Dome annually till two years ago when they introduced permits for the cables. We have also day hiked Mount Whitney annually for a little over a decade, and JMT has been one of my long hikes. All this with Asics GT-2000 or its variation. For pronators, Brooks Beast is good. Having a hiking pole is essential unless you have monster strong knees - especially going downhill.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

mxlr650 wrote:Trail running shoes are plenty unless you have special footwear needs.
+1.

Boots would actually probably be more of an inhibitor than extra help. They are heavier and also cause foot problems like blisters etc. a lot more easily due to the lack of breathability.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed your trip!

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

I think you guys have a point about boots not being absolutely necessary. The problem that I had with my running shoes is that they let in way too much dust, so I ended up with super filthy socks and feet. I guess I wouldn't mind the lack of breathability. The other problem I had was a lack of traction, I kept slipping more than I should have.

Spoongirl and I could both have benefited greatly from hiking poles because neither of us has particularly strong knees. In fact, on our way down it was our knees more than anything that started hurting. I don't know how much hiking we'll do in the next few years, but I'll consider getting hiking poles and any other light equipment that can enhance our experience.

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

mxlr650 wrote: We used to day hike Half Dome annually till two years ago when they introduced permits for the cables. We have also day hiked Mount Whitney annually for a little over a decade, and JMT has been one of my long hikes.
I forgot to say, that's really bad ass! What does JMT stand for?

Chad

Post by Chad »

Love the Yosemite pic.

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

@Chad: I've been thinking about what makes Yosemite Valley look so cool. I think it's the fact that so many topographical features are crammed together in such a tight space. The valley itself is actually quite small, it almost feels like you're at the bottom of a canyon.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Spoonman- JMT= John Muir Trail

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Ahh, thanks.

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

spoonman wrote:The problem that I had with my running shoes is that they let in way too much dust, so I ended up with super filthy socks and feet.
I think you may be comparing cleanliness to your cubicle warring days :-) if you use dual layer socks, the dust will be minimal, if not completely absent. Gait also plays a role, but that one is hard to change.
spoonman wrote:The other problem I had was a lack of traction, I kept slipping more than I should have.
Downhill? Solution is poles. Also, landing on heels instead of ball of your feet would help quite a bit with steep downhill.
spoonman wrote:I don't know how much hiking we'll do in the next few years, but I'll consider getting hiking poles and any other light equipment that can enhance our experience.
I would suggest a dry-run with poles on flat surface before you head to trails (right pole forward, left foot forward, and vice versa) till you get a feel for the co-ordination. If you use the poles right, your arms and shoulders will be kind of sore the next day. That’s when you know your arm is taking weight off of the knee. I usually keep the height of the pole such that with pole tip touching the ground, the extended arm is at around right angle (or arm almost parallel to the ground.
spoonman wrote:What does JMT stand for?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir_Trail

With two resupply points, one can easily enjoy this trail for a month. I don't know fishing, but if you do, with lake-a-mile, you get to also carry lighter backpack! We allocated 17 days but did it in 14 days. Record is something like 3 days for this 220 mile trail :-)
spoonman wrote:I've been thinking about what makes Yosemite Valley look so cool
I agree. Yellow Stone NP, and entire South-Western Utah (Bryce, Arches, etc) are just amazing as well!

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

@mxlr650: holy cow thank you for such a thorough response. It will take me a while to fully internalize all of your suggestions, but I'm completely sold on the hiking poles.

14 days on a trail. There are no words. That's like a whole fucking eternity on another planet.

I've heard of Bryce Canyon and the other Utah places. I think at one point in our lives we will have to get an RV and visit all those places at a leasurely pace. Imagine spending many months hiking all over the country...

m741

Post by m741 »

First off, congrats on the hike :). 2600 feet of elevation gain is pretty serious. Even 1200 is quite a bit if you're inexperienced.

Yes, going down hurts more than going up. Poles can help, make sure you trim your toenails as well. Having good cushioning in the shoes is important, and making sure not to carry too much stuff.

When I did day hikes, I basically carried a compass, map, and water (and a camera). For longer hikes, a small snack like raisins or granola. I'll echo what the other guys said - I wore a crappy pair of sneakers for most of my hikes, no problem. As long as the soles are not worn, you'll be ok. I only busted out the boots for hikes where the terrain looked like a lot of loose rocks, where I was concerned about twisting an ankle. So, maybe 20% of hikes.

I traveled around the US for 3 months last year in a van and hiked almost every day. Ping me if you want to check out my blog for ideas, photos and hike reviews :).

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I forget which month we did the falls (to the top) but it was April or May and the last 1/4 was still snow covered. Shoes would have been insufficient. The trails become more like paths (snow-mud or "snud") once you get half way there. We started early in the morning (around 7a?). I stupidly dressed for freezing temperatures which was okay on the climb up. However, temps were near 70-80 on the way down. No where to take those damn long johns off :-P

PS: Bring a walkie talkie to the top to communicate with base camp. Reception is excellent ;)

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

@jacob: That’s a hell of a dilemma. I would have easily done the same thing you did because I am a creature of warmth. I actually had a hoodie on in the morning because it was chilly, but thankfully Spoongirl said I wouldn't need it for our hike.

By base camp, do you mean Yosemite’s base camp? On the way down, a ranger passed us and I heard official radio chatter, assuming it was a walkie talkie.

Btw, on another topic, my estimates for getting our stuff moved to the PNW were way off. The more reputable moving companies are asking for over twice what I thought we would have to pay, so much higher than the cost of our furniture. We’ve had to go back to the drawing boards, it’ll be the topic of an upcoming post.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Yeah, I suppose they have an official base camp. I was actually referring to where we put our tent up where our SO's stayed behind. I forget the naming scheme, but I think it was either in or next to the area where you stayed (not the walk-in camp area which is closer to where the trail head is).