My First Options Trade

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
workathome

Re: My First Options Trade

Post by workathome »

You can open margin with Schwab. I'd recommend having it in the same account vs. selling naked calls.

altoid

Post by altoid »

@WAH, thank you. I forgot to mention my schwab account was a employer sponsored SIMPLE IRA, wonder if that complicates things. Will make an inquiry to Schwab today.

And in the strageties of selling puts, I soppose you need enough cash in the account should the option be exercised ? Is that correct ?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Believe rules forbid margin in IRA accounts.

altoid

Post by altoid »

@WAH and George: what suggestions do you have for newbies of option trading? Anything special to avoid?

The earning season just kick-started, any thoughts on riding the volatility ?

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

You folks are braver than me!! Someday I might carve a tiny portion of my portfolio off for "fun money" to play around with this kind of stuff; but for me to do it with my for-real nest egg--I'd be better off going to Vegas because at least I could recoup some from the buffets :) In other words, I completely lack the savvy to tell whether a stock will go up or down in the short run.

workathome

Post by workathome »

I don't try to generate income with options anymore. The safest thing you can do is take a stock you own (e.g. IBM) and sell calls for extra income. If the stock rises much though, it'll be called away and you'll miss out on the capital gains while keeping the short-term (higher taxable) gains via the option.

My favorite options tool would be to sell puts in a stock you really want to own at a price you really want to own it at, but your intrinsic value calculation has determined is trading at market too expensive. It's not a income-generating strategy though. My second favorite tool be for hedging, like buying puts when Japan was insanely overvalued in the 80's, which Klarman mentions in his book.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I looked at options and decided you have to be RIGHT too much of the time, as they truly are a zero-sum game.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

I sold my first covered call yesterday. It was tiny on a seemingly secure equity position (PAAS) that I acquired recently but wouldn't be heartbroken if it were sold. If May 17 comes and I still own it, I will have barely profited at all considering brokerage fees and taxes. I am doing it more to become used to the processes (Ameritrade) before engaging in bigger trades.
Last edited by sshawnn on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

workathome wrote:
My favorite options tool would be to sell puts in a stock you really want to own at a price you really want to own it at, but your intrinsic value calculation has determined is trading at market too expensive. It's not a income-generating strategy though.

For us crazy market timers :shock: this may be an excellent (re)entry strategy!