Getting around crazy building codes

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Angelpie

Getting around crazy building codes

Post by Angelpie »

I live in FL, and ever since Andrew went through, and then the 2004 hurricane season, the building codes have been INSANE. I want to build a pallet house, but was told I have to lay a concrete foundation (can't even put it on piers) and build a framework first. Can't even have a composting toilet! Have to have a septic tank. It's freaking insane! I may have to leave FL to have what I want, so I'm wondering:
1) has anyone in FL built their own home here and gotten around the crazy building codes?
2) what southern state is the easiest to build in on your own property?

I just can't live up north. I hate the cold. I heard Arkansas is pretty good, and rural MS too, as long as you aren't too close to the coast.

RealZeal

Re: Getting around crazy building codes

Post by RealZeal »

We are able to get around building codes by REBUILDING on a foundation that was put in before the codes changed. We have not actually started yet, so we will see what happens, but the theory is that we benefit from being grandfathered in.

We will most likely be building on a foundation from a house the burnt down.

Angelpie

Post by Angelpie »

RealZeal wrote:We are able to get around building codes by REBUILDING on a foundation that was put in before the codes changed. We have not actually started yet, so we will see what happens, but the theory is that we benefit from being grandfathered in.

We will most likely be building on a foundation from a house the burnt down.
Hard to find stuff like that here, although it is not too difficult to find land with a well and septic. The problem is, in many counties, they have changed the code to where you need 5 acres to have a mobile home, so that puts a big kibosh on things.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

If you really want to get around building codes, think rural, think non residential, and really think about whether that's a place you want to experience a hurricane.

Look up "portal wall" and compare that with your pallet house design. Then think about wind sheer.

Don't get me wrong, I've lived in tarpaper shacks, with outdoor shower and outhouse. If that is what you want, go out in the boondocks, and get enough land that you can build it under the radar.

If you want to build in a community, expect to gave to conform to community standards.

Not conforming to building codes means no financing, insurance, and issues when you try to sell.

As to getting around codes by having an existing foundation, around here, that would let you build within the buffer zone of a critical area (wetlands, bluffs,etc) and that's about it. The structure you build would still need to conform, to the point that they would limit the structure to the foundation, and make you still and epoxy additional anchors. But talk to that folks at your planning dept. They may know of a few advantages I missed.

Angelpie

Post by Angelpie »

Riggerjack, I wouldn't ever plan on selling. I'm really looking for somewhere to live for the rest of my life. Actually, bottle bricks are stronger than regular bricks -- not as much air space -- and pallet structures that are bolted together and set to 4 stable posts set in concrete at the corners are just as strong as a regular wood-frame house. Hardy board (for the outside) is stronger and more resilient than stucco. You can easily insulate the walls with newspaper, or if you want to spend the money, having paper insulation blown into the walls. It's not like we get down to super-low temperatures down here, so minimum insulation is needed. I'd use regular roof trusses, just for strength and for attic storage space. The trusses would be tied to the frame with hurricane straps, making the walls even more stable. I've lived in hurricane country all my life. My family had a prefab house on the coast that was sold by Sears back in the day that has withstood 100 years of hurricanes, while newer structures were blown away, so I'm not unfamiliar with how to build for them. The further inland you go, the less chance you have of getting hit by a major hurricane, but still, they want you to have a structure built to withstand 140 mph winds. It's crazy.

The problem with living in the boonies is having to have a vehicle, which I don't want to have, but I may be forced to have something like a scooter at least to get me into town to public transport. I'll be mostly self-sufficient, but will still have to interact with civilization from time to time. Can't order everything online! ;-)

Angelpie

Post by Angelpie »

Just found this, so I'm encouraged. Gainesville is in north central FL, pretty rural all around it. If they let this be in the city, they would surely let one be in the country.

http://archive.wgrz.com/news/article/18 ... Containers

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@Angelpie: Very interesting and impressive, but I'm shocked if it's legal... If it is legal he must have aggressively pushed the "green" angle.

What RealZeal and Riggerjack; go existing structure, go rural... If in doubt call the city. Call the city from a public phone if you already own the house :tinfoil: :?
Some cities are reasonable (ie: no inspection unless structurally changed), most are not (new carpet, replace door, fixing plumbing... list goes on forever).

States use satellite imagery to discover new buildings for tax revenue. New build taxes are often insane... In my area a cheaply built new 3b/2bth is often taxed at a rate 5-10 times that of a better built, old structure... Building a $25k garage often results in a $2,000 year tax increase. :roll:

I am actively looking for a property with improvable existing structures specifically to keep taxes reasonable.

Angelpie

Post by Angelpie »

JohnnyH wrote:@Angelpie: Very interesting and impressive, but I'm shocked if it's legal... If it is legal he must have aggressively pushed the "green" angle.

What RealZeal and Riggerjack; go existing structure, go rural... If in doubt call the city. Call the city from a public phone if you already own the house :tinfoil: :?
Some cities are reasonable (ie: no inspection unless structurally changed), most are not (new carpet, replace door, fixing plumbing... list goes on forever).
Gainesville is the most progressive city in Florida. It is the home of the University of Florida, one of the largest Agricultural universities in the country. The entire city is about sustainability and self-sufficiency. They are devoted to community gardens and green spaces. I think the university is replacing some ornamental trees with fruit trees so students can pick and eat whenever they want. I'd love to live there.

If you get 10 miles out of the city limits, you're in farm country. Lots of dirt backroads where there isn't even electricity or running water. But of course, being in FL, you can drill 100 feet and find water. You have to go 300 feet to get good water, though. Everything above that is full of sulphur.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

There's also tiny houses ... devised to circumvent the need for building codes. They're kinda expensive(*) so if money is an issue, I would suggest looking into travel trailers instead (most bang for the buck).

(*) Unless you build them yourself out of salvaged material in which case the cost is about the same as a TT.

PS: Not that I recommend it, but I'm aware of people essentially renting a spot in a sympathetic persons backyard and building a shed to live in. Too much risk for me. Even if the money sunk into it is <$1000, it would suck being found out. Or maybe it would be exciting. Regardless, people do this too.

Angelpie

Post by Angelpie »

Jacob, I need at least 500sf to be comfortable. I'm pretty much living in 211 sf now, and it's making me claustrophobic. I really want more space. Tiny houses aren't expensive if you build them yourself. I really think 500 sf is a tiny house. It's hard to get permission to live in a travel trailer in FL, even on your own land, due to hurricanes. In some counties, you have to move it every so often if it isn't on a permanent foundation. You can't park a travel trailer in someone's yard and live in it. It can be there, but you can't sleep in it. (unless maybe out in the country).

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Angelpie - About the biggest RV you can get may be 350 sqft and that's HUGE (and hard to drive around). Are you saying there are no RV parks in Florida? I'd just pick two parks and move between them. Or move to Texas (RV friendly!).

Always consider [some variant of] the "engineering triangle". Anything can be made:
1) fast/big
2) cheap
3) comfortable/safe/legal

You can have any combination of two of those, not three.

If you've never RV'ed much, keep in mind that RV space is much much better organized that stick-house space. It feels bigger than it is.

Angelpie

Post by Angelpie »

jacob wrote:@Angelpie - About the biggest RV you can get may be 350 sqft and that's HUGE (and hard to drive around). Are you saying there are no RV parks in Florida? I'd just pick two parks and move between them. Or move to Texas (RV friendly!).

Always consider [some variant of] the "engineering triangle". Anything can be made:
1) fast/big
2) cheap
3) comfortably/legal

You can have any combination of two of those, not three.

If you've never RV'ed much, keep in mind that RV space is much much better organized that stick-house space. It feels bigger than it is.
Yes, there is an abundance of RV parks, but they are super expensive, like $650 a month for a spot. You can only stay in state parks for a limited time, then you have to leave for another length of time before you can come back.

I don't want to drive an R.V. I have trouble with my roommate's minivan. I was considering maybe buying an old step van to hang out in for awhile, or maybe a conversion van or popup. I don't know. There are a lot of possibilities. I know someone who went from living in his car to a van to a step van and now lives in a container, so upgrading is possible as well.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Mobile home parks that cater to RVs are much cheaper than the tourist oriented parks. The tourist/resort parks may offer seasonal rates which are much cheaper than the monthly rate. Maybe $2500 for six months.

You might be able to finagle for someone to haul your TT around on a need-be basis thus avoiding having to own a truck with tow capability.

A conversion van is like 30 sqft, not 500 sqft. Definitely an exercise in minimalism. Have you read Walden on Wheels? cheaprvliving.com?

Angelpie

Post by Angelpie »

No mobile home parks are cheap in FL, believe me. I've looked. Sometimes you can find one to rent a MH in for around $650 a month, but nothing cheaper than that.

I have my eye on a cute little cottage that is open in August. I have to leave here in April, but I'll figure something out before then.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

@Angelpie- Quick google search brought me to this site. http://www.sunshinecommunities.com/p/su ... ities.html Looks like it could be a useful tool to find such a park.

Angelpie

Post by Angelpie »

Thank you, theanimal, but this is high winter season. There are no vacancies in parks, even if I had an RV, which I don't. I'll bookmark it for later, though, just in case.