Living as a Modern Nomad

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Dezdura

Post by Dezdura »

I love travel, and have never been too attached to a place. Deep down I would like to live as a nomad, traveling from one end to the other of the country. I have already embraced the whole "green" lifestyle, but I have never gotten rid of enough stuff to truly say that I can be totally without a permanent "bricks and mortar" home. Due to looking in to the small house movement, I thought I would like to get a used fifth wheel or hitch style trailer, and actually live in that. I've joined a forum of people who have gone this route and seem to know how to get internet for instance. This is a potential future for me. It is not really "far" away. I simply want to be a nomad for awhile.
I am an artist by nature and I have a wonderful line of bronzes I am making. Animals and mythological type figures. I feel that I could work and live in a trailer (motor home) and move from one place to another in the various quarters of the year just as our ancient ancestors might have.
As far as work-- I have a Class A CDL and am about to embark on my 1 year "Apprenticeship." After that, I was thinking about going part time, living in a trailer house or something. But now, I am thinking -- why not do seasonal farm work? I could get good work driving 18 wheel grain trucks for a portion of the year. I could continue my work as an artist, and go to my various sites, making a kind of "circuit" around the country.

Does anyone here follow this kind of nomadic life?

Marlene

Post by Marlene »

All I can say is that once I had a couchsurfer over who - being a student in Italy but who didn´t need to attend apparently - funded his travels with chess-tournaments (winning money in small clubs). And planned his route accordingly.