SV Red Baron

Where are you and where are you going?
The Old Man

SV Red Baron

Post by The Old Man »

Greetings All. This is my second journal. The world has changed and thus my plans have changed with it and so I have decided to start a second journal.

My first day of retirement was 1 Jan 2017 and things have been going well. My original retirement plan was to undertake a round-the-world trip. After I retired, I did do some extensive traveling in Europe and to some extent in the USA. At the time of COVID I was within days of departure for another trip to Europe which would have included stays in Russia and Ukraine. COVID derailed my travel plans and the Ukraine War and its side effects have continued to derail my original plans. Further, the world has become a much more unstable place which has been detrimental for travel.

There are three main paths for crossing the Eurasian landmass: (1) the Classic Overland Route through Iran, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, (2) the Trans-Siberian Route, and (3) the Central Asia Route. For crossing oceans, the options have been dwindling, but there still remains the Queen Mary II ocean liner, passenger freighters, and repositioning cruise lines.

The classic route is closed due to geopolitical and safety concerns and has been closed for decades. The Ukraine War and resulting sanctions on Russia have closed the Trans-Siberian Route (Trans-Siberian Railway) and it is likely to remain closed for the remainder of my lifetime. The Central Asia Route remains open, but I have concluded this route would be extremely challenging. Further, I am uncertain if the Kazakhstan railway is operational. A Youtuber did this route and found the Kazakhstan trains were not running; in the end, they took the airplane. Azerbaijan had a short war; unclear about safety in that country. Finally, the Central Asia Route goes through China and the last time I checked China was classified by the USA as a Do Not Travel zone. The Central Asia Route is open, but questionable.

I have determined it is not possible for me to go round-the-world as I originally envisioned – by land without using airplanes. This objective has been a goal of mine for thirty-plus years ever since I completed an overland London-Cape Town trip in the mid-nineties. Consequently, I am executing an alternative plan and that will be the topic for this journal.

Since the land route is closed, I will do it by sea. Not very many people complete a circumnavigation. James Cornell estimates 200 boats complete a circumnavigation every year. Of those about 10% are singlehanded.

A singlehanded circumnavigation appears very daunting, and I wonder if I am up for the task. The first person to successfully complete a solo circumnavigation was Joshua Slocum and he did so in 1895-1898. He wrote a book about it, titled “Sailing Alone Around the World.” The second person was Harry Pidgeon in 1921-1925 and he also wrote a book about his travels, titled “Around the World Single-Handed; The Cruise of the ‘Islander’.” Joshua Slocum had decades of experience as a sea captain. Harry Pidgeon had zero experience and everything about sailing he learned from books. The Press called him the Library Navigator. I decided that if Harry could do it, I could do it. Additionally, I watched YouTube videos trying to assess three things: (1) Do I want to do this? (2) Can I do this? and (3) Can I afford to do this? I decided the answer to all three questions were YES.

On 12 March 2024 I closed on a 1985 Tayana 37. It is an off-shore cruiser and is well suited for the mission. Now, I just need to develop the skills of the skipper, so that he is as well suited for the mission as the boat.

I am no longer in the prime of life, so my major limiting factors will be my health and physical fitness. Today, my health and physical fitness are fine; however, the future is uncertain and the trend is downward. I am 61. I believe for health and fitness reasons I must complete this life-long goal before I turn 70. Two years preparation for the boat and myself plus three-four years for the circumnavigation itself means I will complete the circumnavigation aged 66-67. My father died aged 71. My maternal grandfather died aged 68 and the other died aged 59. Age 70 seems to be a hard stop.

For those interested, I can provide a discussion on boat costs.

Ego

Re: SV Red Baron

Post by Ego »

Yes! That is incredible. What a wonderful surprise.

One of my neighbors in the free anchorage had a double-ender like that about the same size. They had sailed it from the East Coast, through the canal, then up and down the West Coast of Central and North America.

The Red Baron appears to be well kitted. Does it still have the original diesel engine? The mast and rigging look good. How are the sails? Did you get a survey done before buying? What interesting things do you have on your todo list? Is that rig on the back the self steering / autopilot? Sorry I have a million questions. I will leave it there for now.

I am very excited to follow your adventure.

chenda

Post by chenda »

This sounds absolutely insane - I love it :)

So you going through the red sea or via cape town ? I assuming the latter because of the piracy...

There's a you tube channel I've been meaning to binge watch about a young Welsh couple who are doing the same. Taught themselves to sail in Swansea and then just kept going.

singvestor

Post by singvestor »

China is one of the safest countries I have ever traveled in, but I have no idea of the Stan countries... But then doing it by boat is far more exciting. Your boat looks great and I am looking very forward to following your journal.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Wow, that's top-level ambition there. Even if you don't make around the world there's the intracoastal, crossing the Atlantic... or if you can make it through the Panama canal, Hawaii or the Baja-haha which are big accomplishments on their own. Single-handed around the world is the biggest of them all.

Are you going to be living aboard in the meantime?

Also, may I suggest joining some races (beer cans)? Even if you're not going to win, it's a fun way to get water-time and learn how to deal with SNAFUs like a stuck sail on a lee shore. Racing -> Breaking things -> Expensive(*), but the breaks happen in a semi-controlled environment with other boats around.

(*) So perhaps crewing on someone else's boat for that ;-)

UrbanHomesteader

Post by UrbanHomesteader »

Sounds like a grand adventure. I'll be interested in hearing more about the preparations.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Very cool plan and I will be following along and living vicariously through you.

Would definitely be interested in discussion about boat costs. Are you currently based in FL?

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

I really like your plan and very much look forward to following the updates.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

That's awesome! You're truly living. I'm excited to follow along your journey.

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

Why a boat nearly 40 years old? Originally, my search focus was on “newish” production boats. However, I have since come to the realization that modern boats have been unduly influenced by the needs of the charter boat market. For my stated mission I came to believe that an older boat would best fit my requirements. I was also influenced by the marketing of Kraken Yachts. As a side benefit the Tayana was the cheapest of the boats that I considered.

Kraken Yachts – Ahoy – Yachts to Sail the World on a Budget
https://youtu.be/7EbsZqzDtpc?si=LIXhvCTrsWtVvxjj

Kraken builds boats that are bulletproof. Sadly, I didn’t have a million euros to spend on a new boat. In the video above they discuss older boats that support their design philosophy. This video plus their other materials caused me to reconsider my original focus on “newish” boats and to consider older traditional boats. A side benefit was that the older traditional boats were cheaper, sometimes substantially so.

The boat is currently docked in Tampa Bay, Florida. I selected that location because Tampa Bay has protected waters and provides easy access to the ocean. It is a very good location for developing sailing skills. I had a hard time finding a marina to dock my boat, but I believe the marina I found was a good choice and I will be docking it there long-term. The marina is in a protected location which is important for Hurricane season. My fellow boaters are very friendly. The marina is also friendly to liveaboards which is not common. There are only two negatives. The approach depth to the marina is shallow, but so far that has not been a significant limitation. The fuel dock is the serious limitation as it is a difficult approach, but I can go to the St Pete Municipal dock as its fuel dock is easy to access.

Training wise, I had previously taken the RYA Competent Crew and RYA Day Skipper Theory/Practical courses; although, I was unsuccessful in passing the RYA Day Skipper Practical. While in Tampa Bay I have had some private training on my boat. This training was sufficient for my insurance company and they have since lifted their restrictions – I can now sail my boat without having a licensed captain on board. I believe I am close to being independent, but I believe a few more training sessions would be in order. We are also covering the ASA 101, 103, and 104 courses. Spent a lot of time on docking and undocking. It is probably the most challenging part of sailing. I can now solo dock and undock under variable wind conditions. As far as operating the sails I can do it solo, but I need more practice on developing my wind awareness and associated sail trim skills.

Name of the boat has been updated. Received the Florida Registration and the U.S. Coast Guard Documentation (title). Tradition has it there should be a boat naming ceremony and so it will be.

Maintenance and Repairs. Boats require a lot of maintenance and this boat is no exception. I wanted to start with a known good system, so I am doing a lot of preventative maintenance. Some limited repairs are also underway.

Finances: Costs have been very high. Before buying the boat, I was probably around 1 Jacob or less, due to special circumstances. Not anymore. I'll provide a discussion of costs in a later post.

My long-term plan is to move onto the boat and become a liveaboard. I am doing it in stages. Currently, I am staying in an AirBnB. I will permanently move onto the boat the first of July.

J_

Post by J_ »

I have gone through the general specs of a Tayana 37. Longkeel, protected rudder, sturdy hull. As the two fellows in your film described that’s the main thing. I do think it is on the big side for single handling. ( you heard the two guys speaking of 30 feet boats for ocean sailing in former days) You have to be rather strong in heavy weather to cope with the sails or anchor with such a big boat. Good luck with your further preparations.

take2

Post by take2 »

Incredible, I love it!

Also very interested in costs and how you’re finding the learning curve.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Sounds like an amazing adventure! I look forward to following along.

Best of luck!

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Very cool.

Tampa Bay area is our home away from home. We spend significant time there every year, including 2024 where after our 3 month road trip from NY through the PNW, Cali for EREfest, SW we will spend 4-5 weeks down there from end of October through Thanksgiving.

If you're up for it, DW and I would love to meet you and/or go for a sail. We've been slowly learning from friends in Poland on a lake, so not very experienced but have some of the basics down!

Henry

Post by Henry »

Damn. This is some serious shit right here. Props for real life adventure.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

What a fun adventure!

Frita

Post by Frita »

W :D W, this is an epic journey! I can appreciate the cognitive flexibility to find an alternate method to complete your round-the-world journey and the planning necessary to sail solo.

Henry

Post by Henry »

Although that boat is giving me an S.S. Minnow vibe.

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

Power Considerations

Storage:
Lithium Ion (Lithium Iron Phosphate) Batteries – 400 Amp-Hours

Generation Sources:
Solar Power – 460 Watts
Wind Power – 40 Watts @ 10 knot wind, 290 Watts @ 21 knot wind

Honda Portable Gas Generator – 1800 watts (5,760 watts on 1 gallon of petrol)
Nextgen Diesel Generator – 5000 watts on 0.2 gallons of diesel
I don’t have a generator. The generators above are for illustrative purposes.

Solar Power needs to be adjusted for “effective” solar hours per day. For Tampa Bay it works out to be a high of 6.16, low of 5.26, and average of 5.67. For Spokane, WA the low is 1.16 and the low for Fairbanks, AK is 2.12. El Paso, TX was one of the highest with a high rating of 7.42. I only have figures for the USA.

On an average day in Tampa Bay my Solar Power will generate 2,608 watts. Excluding efficiency losses this power generation equates to 217 Amp Hours stored in my batteries on a daily basis.

Wind Power is generally most useful in the northern latitudes. In the best of circumstances about 960 watts would be generated on a daily basis equating to 80 Amp Hours.

In the northern latitudes with wind power and 1/3rd solar power (1/3rd of Tampa) I would on a daily basis be storing about a maximum of 150 Amp Hours.

I have not yet done an energy audit on my boat. The previous owner stated the solar power generation was sufficient for his needs during his cruises in the Caribbean. I don’t think he traveled in the northern latitudes. The boat is setup for the tropics. It is not a winter boat.

This discussion on energy is important because I don’t have a dinghy and I have been considering obtaining an electric powered dinghy. If the boat is the house, then the dinghy is the car. Discussion in my next post.

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

Bow Sprit

Bow Sprit Crack

Underneath Bow Sprit

Bow Sprit Issue

I tried not to buy a project boat, but I got one anyway.

The most serious issue is with the bow sprit. The anchor roller was pulling out of the bow sprit, so I removed the roller and the anchor. There is also a crack in the bow sprit. Somehow, I missed these issues when I bought the boat and the marine surveyor also missed them. The photos above show the problem. The third photo shows the ceramic brace that the previous owner installed to deal with the issue.

The repairs done by the previous owner are not sufficient given the forces operating on the sprit. A metal fab shop is creating some steel structures for me. The anchor roller is being refabbed and will occupy the whole length of the slot and will have a metal support underneath it. The crack will have a steel support structure underneath and will also have a steel structure above. I believe these will be sufficient. Its taking a while to have all this done.