Chenda's sober ramblings.

Where are you and where are you going?
mathiverse

Re: Chenda's sober ramblings.

Post by mathiverse »

Ego wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:15 am
[Link to article about SSRIS]
Here is a link to the article on Internet Archive to avoid the "sign in" wall: https://web.archive.org/web/20240111155 ... s-on-ssris.

This also appears to be the same article released last year in June 2023 if the Internet Archive link doesn't work: https://www.freyaindia.co.uk/p/why-are- ... s-on-ssris.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Jean wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:12 am
I really enjoy being slightly drunk
Me too. Unfortunately, "slightly drunk" always had a way of quickly morphing into "extremely, embarrassingly drunk." So I stopped 4 years ago.

Good luck Chenda! Keep us posted on if you get any vivid dreams as your sleep improves :)

OutOfTheBlue

Post by OutOfTheBlue »

Charles Baudelaire wrote:INTOXICATION

You have to be always drunk. That's all there is to it—it's the only way. So as not to feel the horrible burden of time that breaks your back and bends you to the earth, you have to be continually drunk.

But on what? Wine, poetry or virtue, as you wish. But be drunk.

And if sometimes, on the steps of a palace or the green grass of a ditch, in the mournful solitude of your room, you wake again, drunkenness already diminishing or gone, ask the wind, the wave, the star, the bird, the clock, all that flies all that sighs, all that rolls, all that sings, all that speaks... ask what time it is and wind, wave, star, bird, clock will answer you: "It is time to be drunk! So as not to be the martyred slaves of time, be drunk, be continually drunk! On wine, on poetry or on virtue as you wish."
===

Here's a poem for support and inspiration, @Chenda.

I'm on zero alcohol as well.

I would guess everyone knows the original in the French speaking world, but, if not: http://www.poesie.net/baudel1.htm
Actually, the French word s'enivrer is quite poetic and enhances the metaphor of it all. It's not about alcohol of course. And for me, it's not about escaping either. It's about being utterly intoxicated with the world.

Just so:
Henri Michaux wrote: « Que donnerait une distillation du monde? » demandait, émerveillé, un homme, ivre pour la première fois.

'What would a distillation of the universe yield?' wondered a man, drunk for the first time.
Last edited by OutOfTheBlue on Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

okumurahata

Post by okumurahata »

Had a university professor (concurrent computing) who suggested that if you can’t solve a challenging engineering problem, take a bottle of whiskey, have a shot, and try again. If you still can’t solve it, take another one. No? Please, have another one. Would it help you solve the problem? Probably not, but you’d have a great afternoon.

I’d like to find a substance that safely enhances social skills without harming the liver (like alcohol), brain (like marijuana), or the whole body (like antidepressants). At university, I skeptically tried Bach flowers and confirmed that it was a stupid placebo. Is there a misfit out there who has discovered a substance to improve sociability without harming health? Asking for a friend.

ffj

Post by ffj »

First of all, good luck to Chenda! Such a good move on her part.

@okum
You should focus on tackling your problem head-on and not looking for a substance. Social skills are a learned skill for introverts and you get good at it or at least comfortable by practicing. Learning how to pace a conversation, easily switch topics, how to enter and exit a conversation, how to talk about yourself, etc. are all learned behaviors. My best technique for engaging in conversation is to be curious about the other person which comes naturally for me fortunately.

The thought of having to pop a pill or slog some shit to have the ability to engage other people should be enough motivation to put in the work to overcome mostly overblown fears.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

I found that while using a substitute (tea, bubble water, etc.) paired with being curious about any inevitable "craving" drastically reduced my alcohol consumption. Also, having a plan ahead of time of exactly how you will enjoy your substitute before your biological clock kicks in when you would normally drink. Good luck! You will likely notice the quality of your sleep first and foremost (as mentioned a few times).

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

okumurahata wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:33 am
Had a university professor (concurrent computing) who suggested that if you can’t solve a challenging engineering problem, take a bottle of whiskey, have a shot, and try again. If you still can’t solve it, take another one. No? Please, have another one. Would it help you solve the problem? Probably not, but you’d have a great afternoon.
https://xkcd.com/323/ - On Ballmer Peak

okumurahata

Post by okumurahata »

@ffjs No guarantee that exposure will make things easier; my friend could theoretically become more outgoing, but in the end, the pain will still be there, deep down. Because ultimately, my friend can’t escape awkwardness. Excuses to avoid dealing with the problem? Only alcohol and drugs know.

Moral of the story, my friend gave up on improvement; he just wants not to be blind without harming himself in the process.

@mathiverse Developers, developers, developers…

J_

Post by J_ »

Ok Chenda! It is as with all things made attractive by society and advertising: as soon you look through the imaginary fata morganas the change of an old habit is (more) easy. With your knowledge and the precious gift of health, it is not a sacrifice at all to change to water, lemonade or tea…

chenda

Post by chenda »

Thank you all for your supportive comments.

Apparently the brain starts to heal itself after 2 weeks dry and continues to improve, along with the rest of the body, for up to a year.

I'm already managing to sleep without my usual assortment of sleeping pills so feeling the benefits already. I'll keep you posted : )

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:16 pm
ditto for nuking your gut microbiome for 3 days every week.
See, I wondered about this. Iirc, the vast majority of your gut microbiome is in your large intestine and I thought that most alcohol is absorbed well before then. Any sources for info on that?

@chenda, this topic seems to resonate. I'm also on the wagon (off the wagon? I forget which is which) and while I've made a few other changes simultaneously (excrcising more and specifically lifting weights), I do ascribe a good portion of my elevated mood to the lack of alcohol. Good luck!

macg

Post by macg »

okumurahata wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:33 am
I’d like to find a substance that safely enhances social skills without harming the liver (like alcohol), brain (like marijuana), or the whole body (like antidepressants). At university, I skeptically tried Bach flowers and confirmed that it was a stupid placebo. Is there a misfit out there who has discovered a substance to improve sociability without harming health? Asking for a friend.
https://youtu.be/N6uEMOeDZsA?si=pjjuQWRADoDkcNqC

Ego

Post by Ego »

suomalainen wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:31 pm
See, I wondered about this. Iirc, the vast majority of your gut microbiome is in your large intestine and I thought that most alcohol is absorbed well before then. Any sources for info on that?
Alcohol damages the gut barrier. Bacteria that would normally be evacuated are then able to pass the gut barrier. They enter the blood stream and migrate to the liver where they produce endotoxins (lipopolysaccharides) and cause the damage associated with alcohol consumption. These endotoxins also produce inflammation throughout the body. There have been studies showing a perfectly correlated relationship between blood alcohol levels and blood endotoxin levels.

Google alcohol, endotoxin, gut and you will find hundreds of studies going back decades. Not exactly what you were asking for, but similar.

take2

Post by take2 »

Nice.

I find that I only drink socially and I’m not that social. The few times I overimbed the last few years (maybe 5-7 times in 5 years) the hangovers were never worth it.

Usually it’s at work events but this past Xmas work party I just avoided it as I had an early flight the next day. Was interesting to be sober around increasingly intoxicated colleagues.

Good luck!

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

suomalainen wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:31 pm
Here is a snippet from a longer episode on the effects of alcohol on the brain and body, specifically about gut health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxx80wtZ4h8

For DW, giving up alcohol completely ~1.5 years ago was the single change that solved 90% of her GI issues.

Henry

Post by Henry »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:09 am
For DW, giving up alcohol completely ~1.5 years ago was the single change that solved 90% of her GI issues.
Drunk women and soldiers is just asking for trouble.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Another great few nights sleeps. After years of insomnia and stuffing myself with sleeping pills it is SO nice to go to bed and wake up 8 hours later naturally refreshed. I feel my anxiety and depression starting to ebb slightly too. The dreams are definitely more vivid but I can’t remember much about them.

This morning I gave away all my prosecco, beer, spirits and liquores. The only thing I kept was a bottle of Sav, which is drink made from the sap of Swedish birch trees. Someone bought it for me as I like Scandinavian things (except for the retail hell that is the local Ikea) and I’m curious what it tastes like. So I might keep it for my birthday in the Summer and have one glass of it. Other than that I don’t plan to drink again, maybe a glass of champagne at Christmas but even that does seem sort of seem pointless. I also tried some ‘Nozeco’ last night. Its quite a nice drink but has a higher sugar content than prosecco. Heineken 0% seems to be consistently ranked amongst the best alcohol free drinks on drink free blogs.

I am cautiously hopeful that this is going to be as easy as it feels right now. Although I know the novelty of being a non drinker will eventually wear off and the benefits will (hopefully) become normalised. This time last week I was getting trashed, if you told me then I was never going to drink again I would have laughed. The idea just came to me almost out of the blue on the Sunday and it wasn’t even a particularly bad hangover.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Great stuff!
I have been wanting to do the same but so far the best I managed to achieve is relative* moderation.
Please keep posting as this is great motivation

*meaning I occasionally still drink too much for my liking.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Thanks Seppia I will : )

I have all the enthusiasm of a convert or whatever the phase is and am keen to evangelise the merits of alcohol free living, although that might be counter-productive. I have several friends who I fear are on the path Henry described, we all grew up in the 'ladette' culture of the 90s where it was encouraged for young women to chug pints and shots. I am just very grateful I didn't develop an addiction.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Biscuits and Gravy wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:00 pm
Right there with you. Eight days sober and counting.
How is it going b&g, you must be two weeks in ?

10 days and my skin is definitely better, more hydrated and smoother. Better sleep (REM sleep is not disrupted hence the vivid dreams) less anxiety and depression (its not entirely gone but the corners have been smoothed off as it were) Better concentration and focus. Less food cravings as well. Feeling more excited and optimistic about things.

Another benefit of drinking 0% drinks is that you don't feel guilty about having another.