How many hours does it actually take to build a house?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
lillo9546

How many hours does it actually take to build a house?

Post by lillo9546 »

I realize this could be a very simple calculation, but taking a 100 square meter house as an example, how many hours does it take for a single person to build it?
Would it be possible to get a value of "hours" per "square meter" (h/sqm)?
Maybe with this method we could also make a math formula which could evaluate if it's worth to learn how to and self-build your own, or just buy, and earn money trought your hourly job

zbigi

Re: How many hours does it actually take to build a house?

Post by zbigi »

Hugely depends on materials used and skill level. Also, some things may simply not be possible to do as a single person, e.g. rafters may be simply too heavy for single person to install. Having said that, building your own house is very popular in Poland, but, from what I'm seeing, it's mostly done by blue collar people, who have some of the prerequisite skills, and have connections in the trades, so can get people in areas they're lacking. Also, these builds often take multiple years, as people do it after work and on weekends.

ffj

Re: How many hours does it actually take to build a house?

Post by ffj »

Two years.

Maybe less, maybe more. There are hundreds of variables to consider, many of which you probably aren't aware of to even ask about. But a thousand square foot, single story home with modest finishes is capable of being built by someone with zero experience in a couple of years. If you know what you are doing I would say 8-10 months.

I am basing these estimates off of a simple, no frills, single story small home.