Semi-ERE Year 4 - Wanderlust Prevails

Where are you and where are you going?
2Birds1Stone

Re: Semi-ERE Year 3 - Wanderlust Prevails

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

October 1, 2021
NW = 32.1X TTM Spending (-2.2 month over month)
WR = 3.11%
September Savings Rate = 78.7%

Activity
walked - 154 miles
Ran - 9 times for a total of 23 miles
MTB - 6 times for a total of 120 miles
Weight lifting - 11 times
Weight - 213.2 lb, 7 day average down 1.5 lb for September, which is the first down month since May.

Running distance up ~70% over August, and MTB distance up over 100%. Will level off around here most likely. It feels really good to get fitness back and improve body composition, especially since fall/holidays is when I tend to gain weight every year.

The markets took our portfolio down despite a high savings rate. Suppose we could look at it as a blessing since there's money being invested biweekly.

2Birds1Stone

Re: 2Birds1Stone's hustle to freedom!

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:14 am
I started the new job last Monday, and on Wednesday I got a call from my boss letting me know that they are getting let go for underperformance. Knot in my stomach. Go figure I have a big room planning meeting at the corporate HQ on Thursday and have to skate around the subject until I figure out wtf I'm going to do.
Today or tomorrow will mark 4 years since the beginning of this Semi-ERE journey. It's crazy to think about, but I've spent more time off work than working, since then. This most recent 11 month stint marks the longest stretch of work in 4 years. I should probably hit eject before losing my Semi-ERE badge ;)

Work is actually going swimmingly for a change. There was a period of nearly two months where hours were surprisingly low, along with low stress, and results materialized. Now I am entering a busy period in our cyclical business cycle, and should be rewarded handsomely if things go remotely well, with nearly tax free earnings/bonus in early 2022. With a 75-80% savings rate through April, we might be able to afford a flat in EU with minimal/no loan. DW is getting the wanderin' fever and keeps sending my flight info and AirBnB listings. I can't wait!

Western Red Cedar

Re: 2Birds1Stone's hustle to freedom!

Post by Western Red Cedar »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:28 am
Today or tomorrow will mark 4 years since the beginning of this Semi-ERE journey. It's crazy to think about, but I've spent more time off work than working, since then. This most recent 11 month stint marks the longest stretch of work in 4 years. I should probably hit eject before losing my Semi-ERE badge ;)
I'm pretty sure you get to keep that badge :D . You've demonstrated, to me at least, that I don't really need to worry about leaving work for a year or two and tanking my career if I decide to come back. You also confirmed one of my larger fears about Semi ERE. Once I have a taste of freedom I'll never want to return to a full-time, office environment.

Are you still kind of separating finances with DW, or is it all a household SWR now?

I kind of keep things separate and am at a 3.5% SWR based on 50% of our expenses, but I've paid more than 50% of the expenses for the last 7 years. Since I have the higher earning power and established career, I'm just powering forward for the time being.

Of course, reading through some of @J&G's old comments made me realize DW could work part-time at a minimum wage job and we could theoretically cover our current expenses (assuming we figure out health care) with some small withdrawals.

2Birds1Stone

Re: Semi-ERE Year 4 - Wanderlust Prevails

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

The monthly updates I've shared here have been combined household numbers since Febuary of 2021. My individual SWR has been in runaway mode, so it's a bit boring to track. A couple of caveats to these updates;

Our current TTM spening still has some outlier months in late 2020/early 2021 where we had 0 housing costs and pandemic meant our spending was just barebones food/insurance, so the SWR you currently see drifting up monthly will level off around May if we stayed in this HCOL area.

Using actual spending since we moved here over the past 13 weeks, and annualizing it, we're at a combined 4.5% SWR. Individually I'm sitting around 2.9%.

Housing is currently ~51% of our spending, so moving to a lower COL area/country should move the SWR back in the right direction even if we didn't save any more money.

Individually YTD savings rate is around 84% while combined is ~78%.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

@take2, sorry I missed your question before!

We stayed right off the Tram 28E line just east of the Assembly Of The Republic building. It was a great location, close to the river/Cais Sodre train to Cascais and a short walk to the train to go to Sintra......not to mention we walked to Monsanto park, Alges, Belem, Parque das Nações so got to see most of Central Lisbon quite thoroughly. In the 3 months we were in Portugal we walked nearly 1,000 miles!

Musings

Writing about Lisbon gives me a strong feeling of wanderlust.....which is great because we are now down to just <200 days until our next planned trip over the pond. The plan right now is to once again donate/sell most of our furnishings and possessions and go home-free (as GandK dubbed it :) ).

This is super exciting, as we didn't really get to spend nearly as much time in Europe as we originally planned last year. We're trying to be flexible and not get too fixated on a date just yet, since there are still a lot of things that can happen over the next 6.5 months, but from a work/life perspective, that would be a fantastic time to go.

The first 2 weeks of October have seen some good results on the fitness and healthier eating front.....less meat, less processed food, more activity. I finally replaced my 4 year old running shoes, and also splurged on two new pairs of Birkenstocks (one EVA's and one cork). My feet are happier. Bit the bullet and got some long bib pants and warm gloves for MTBing this winter. Really looking forward to continuing fitness improvement and getting outside more.

Work has been fairly steady. I'm hitting a groove and also feel that I understand the politics of my workplace better. It's a large tech company, so my experience is probably specific to my business unit and team, but the culture is not all that bad. The most glaring reminder at work is that all of these people are on an endless treadmill of earn->consume->repeat. I work with mostly higher earners/upper middle class white collar types......they could all exit the rat race in <10 years even with an above median US spending level, but it appears that the more they make, the more creative ways they find to spend $$. It's quite entertaining, in a sad way.

We've also given into some lifestyle inflation (like my 3 pairs of shoes!) and some more eating out and treating friends/family, but don't feel all too bad about it whilst maintaining a 75%+ household savings rate. We know that naturally spending will go way down when we solve the housing puzzle whilst traveling.

One of my biggest goals for 2022 is to meet more of you ERE peeps, especially in Europe, since that's were we'll likely spend most of the year.

Till next time, 2B1S over n' out......

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:19 am
like my 3 pairs of shoes
If one of them is slippers, then your off the hook. ;)