Run from CONVICTION!

Favorite quotations, etc.
sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

I was recently "warned" in an ERE forum post. It set off a cascade of thoughts not about the authors intended subject matter, but about my heeding of advice. It seems to be that the more convicted an advisor is in their advice, the more I want to run the other direction. If the advice needs propaganda it instantly seems like salesmanship and like the advice giver is trying to promote their own cause. Transparent sharing of facts and allowance for one's own development of opinion seems to be more powerful because it involves the recipient of the intended "advice " instantly by asking them to formulate their own opinion through minimal lead ins or steering. The more someone sees their way as the ONLY way the more it makes me consider an alternate. Thoughts?

Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

I share the same reaction to true believers as you do, even where I might initially agree with them. The belligerent, almost bullying approach is a turnoff, and I think this is especially so because almost everything is pitched in this way. My own reaction has become so skeptical that I usually discard advice offered in the imperative voice—“Do This!” Don’t Do That!” “List of 20 Things You MUST Do”. I don’t even want to hear it.

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

When the "Religion" turns from Leading By Example and Gentle Persausion to Bullying and Theocractic Autocracy its time to dig in the heels and push back.

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

P.S. Sometimes though its better to just do the Probation and Community Service than Appeal the Conviction.
Recidivism Rates tend to be very high...LOL!

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

I was recently warned to run from conviction :-)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

With an exclamation mark too!!1one

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

Ideally, I suppose one should be fearful when faced with two warnings in one day. Haha

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

I dislike people who tend to try and warn me about something.

Reason is, these warn-ers seem to think they are injected with supra-knowledge. There is an extreme difference in giving your opinion, and stating the cast in stone way it must be.

No one really knows anything for sure. You form an opinion on whatever topic by collecting information, digesting it, thinking about it, and concluding your thoughts. However, you still don't have the absolute skippy on anything. Your only maybe a little better prepared to discuss it, because you have given much thought to it.

To actually intentionally "warn" someone either in speech or print, well that is going a little bit too far.

However, please warn me if I am about to run over your cat!

Thanks, I would hate to do that.