Hi from nomadscientist

Say hello!!
nomadscientist

Hi from nomadscientist

Post by nomadscientist »

Hi everyone,

I'm nomadscientist. My background is almost laughably similar to Jacob's, going from Europe to the US with a physics career.

I've been aware of ERE since it was young and I was still a student, and implemented a lot of its principles consciously and subconsciously into my life. At that time, though, I decided I wanted to have a job for the rest of my life for non-financial reasons, so I didn't adopt as high a savings rate as Jacob. Maybe 50%. Basically I thought I wanted to work with big machines which meant big organizations.

Now though I've become jaded by the reality of scientific work, which is seemingly much like any random corporate work once you're past the grad student and young postdoc level. And I don't much like the look of "random corporate work", being based on playing politics, sales, shuffling people and other boring things. I don't mind doing this, and am not even bad at it, but it certainly isn't what I want to pour my precious hours of life into - it's not my passion. I've decided to ERE to get back in touch with scholarship, probably in a variety of disciplines other than physics. The sort of thing no university will pay you to do, maybe ever at this point, and certainly not without years of grunt work to "earn" it and plenty of strings attached.

I like the US, but did not fall in love with it, and I plan to bounce around cheap semi-developed countries to minimise costs while maximising experience. For a while at least. I don't plan to stop working entirely but I will strictly limit work to under 10 hours per week: I'll give it two or three years and see how much that makes. If it's negligible, I'll scrap it.

One idea behind bouncing around is to collect acquaintanceships with as many interesting people as possible and keep in contact with them on various topics over the internet - it's the highest risk part of the plan and I've got no idea if it'll go anywhere.

ETA to ERE is 6 months to 3 years. On the $8k/year budget with 4% SWR I'm just about good to go now, but I'd like a buffer. I guess it also makes sense to keep pouring in cash while the market is suffering its corona problems.

I'm so glad to see this forum is active. Although I'd always been a saver, ERE changed my perspective on how to view life and money. It's great that it's still around. I'm looking forward to learning even more from you!

Gilberto de Piento

Re: Hi from nomadscientist

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Welcome!

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

Just to clarify, is it "Nomad Scientist" or " No Mad Scientist", or were you aiming for ambiguous wordplay? I suppose it could also be "No, Mad Scientist" like you are really emphasizing how unhinged you are. :P

wolf

Post by wolf »

Welcome

nomadscientist

Post by nomadscientist »

black_son_of_gray wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:05 pm
Just to clarify, is it "Nomad Scientist" or " No Mad Scientist", or were you aiming for ambiguous wordplay? I suppose it could also be "No, Mad Scientist" like you are really emphasizing how unhinged you are. :P
Mad scientist puns not intended :lol:

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

Got it, thanks for clearing that up!

And welcome to the forums