PSA: USA Seasonal Job Opportunity 2020

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
theanimal

PSA: USA Seasonal Job Opportunity 2020

Post by theanimal »

FYI for those forum members US based. The US Census is hiring right now for positions from March to July. It actually sounds like a pretty good deal. Pay depends on your state but is competitive. For example, in AK starting pay is between $28-31/hr. There is no commitment and you set your own hours so could be a perfect opportunity for someone looking for something to do or extra work.

Anyways, just thought I'd share.

Ego

Re: PSA: USA Seasonal Job Opportunity 2020

Post by Ego »

Hah! I applied last week just for the hell of it. They have an online test for applicants. Halfway through the test it asked if I wanted to be considered for a supervisory positions.

sky

Post by sky »

I applied, but I'm not sure I really want to go door to door. Maybe they have other jobs too.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I threw my hat in as well, also for the supervisory position. I'm not sure about the door to door but based off some of their questions it almost seems like they put you near where you live. If that's the case, it could be a decent way to get to know your neighbors and the local area a bit better.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I'm working for the Census currently, if you guys have any questions I might be able to help.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

theanimal wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:06 pm
I threw my hat in as well, also for the supervisory position. I'm not sure about the door to door but based off some of their questions it almost seems like they put you near where you live. If that's the case, it could be a decent way to get to know your neighbors and the local area a bit better.
You do get hired to work where you live; it can be done a few different ways, I think the most common is by census tracts.

sky

Post by sky »

Which positions make the most money?

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

We just repurpose school teachers for census work.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

sky wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:51 pm
Which positions make the most money?
It depends what they're short on in your area. In general, though, field & office supervisors and recruiting assistants make the most. Enumerators and clerks the least. You just fill out the online application and it puts in in a general pool along with everyone else. Like Ego mentioned, if you want to be a supervisor you just answer those questions.

Ego

Post by Ego »

In the midst of all the chaos, Mrs. Ego and I both got hired today for the Census. In truth, Mrs. Ego got hired first after a phone interview. The interviewer liked her so much that at the end when she mentioned that I had also applied, he promised to find my application and call me. The phone rang 5 minutes later.

daylen

Post by daylen »

I got the call a couple days ago. Setup fingerprint appointment for Wednesday. Should be interesting.

sky

Post by sky »

Census employees may be eligible for unemployment payments and the federal COVID payment of $600 because the work was suspended due to COVID.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I left the census a few weeks before the end when the assignments were further and further from our home. Mrs. Ego made it to the end. Trump closed them down before the official end date listed on the job announcement so (as sky mentioned above) they laid off all of the current workers and encouraged them to apply for unemployment. She is still collecting. Income stream #7 for the Income Robustness thread. Hah!

Last week they called to ask if I would like to rejoin the census for 10 hours per week to conduct the perpetually ongoing American Community Survey. I did a phone interview and was rehired.

The Census begins paying the hourly rate the moment I leave home to commute to the homes where I will be doing the survey and they pay 58 cents per mile for the commute. I've recently been riding my touring bike in the afternoons (no group, safe) and will see if I can incorporate the two. I am hoping it works out that I get paid to exercise. Also, I have to admit, I enjoyed having the opportunity to ask people personal questions that allowed me to learn about how they live. I find this kind of stuff fascinating. This survey is way more detailed, asking a ton of extremely personal questions. ;)