LiquidSapphire's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
thrifty++

Re: LiquidSapphire's Journal

Post by thrifty++ » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:36 pm

Hey thanks for sharing your recent changes.
Sounds like a stressful period but awesome you got a 6 figure job just like that after 6 years out.

Interesting you have been early retired for 6 years. Your story is great as an example to people who dip in and out. Awesome that you have done it but gone back to a great job, might allay concerns people have thinking they will never have a job again if they drop out.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks! Just keep your contacts - and have marketable skills. :) and you will be ok :)

latearlyFI

Post by latearlyFI » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:04 pm

Hi LS! I just read your whole Journal! It was like reading a thriller, what will happen next? I like reading the journals that cover years to see how the goals turn out. I found MMM then ERE and these Journals are the best. Thank you for sharing. Once I move I'm going to start my own Journal, I'm so inspired by all of the successes and the realness of your challenges. Better than Reality TV! I wish you luck in your next move. The Condo idea sounds good or a small house maybe? (You seem to like animals). Maybe something that has a separate Mother in law apartment? Whatever it is, I'll be stopping by to cheer you on ;)

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:22 pm

Thanks latearly :D I'd love to read your journal if you ever start it. :)
Spending so far
November: $~2500
December: $ ~2800
January: ~2200 --> kind of a normal month I guess? No big excuses

I'm going through a bunch of drama and shit in my relationship which I think is a surprise to no one given my last update. It's a massive distraction and I found myself wishing I could just compartmentalize my emotions and put them in a box and take them out and look at them when I want to rather than having them color everything. I guess that's what the meditation is for haha :) I did engage in some retail therapy. But I'm actually running out of things I want. I'm running out of things to buy for myself. My birthday is coming up and I have no idea what to tell people to get me because I've already bought everything.

OK so goal update from last year:
1) Pay off student loans: Hasn't happened literally yet (omg slooooow paperwork from government) but I am treating them as if they're functionally done. So gonna stop updating on this one.

2) Housing goals: I hit the magic $500K in assets. At 4% WR it'd give me $1667/mo which would likely be enough if I owned my own place outright. But I look around and everything I like is just so expensive. Starting around $250K or so. I'm casually keeping an eye out for the rental market for a 2BR that is palatable that has everything that I'd want. And then I'd rent out the second room to a roommate. But not in a hurry, current situation is sustainable for now, though if my roommate passes away (she's old) I'd have to move pretty fast so having cash on hand will be beneficial in that case. I'll keep updating on this one.

3)Finding "flow" and "meaning" in life's work: Book club still on going, happy. Work is still meaningless. I am struggling with that. But I think I am going to start a self improvement meetup group with one of my best friends later this month. I need to keep updating on this one.

4) Tracking my spending: Yeah I am not worrying about this right now - I am seeing where things shake out, maybe over 6 months, to get an appropriate average. I know I can cut, but I want to get a baseline for what life is like when I'm actively NOT cutting anything at all and actually spending out because "Why not I have lots of money now". I know, weird... but I really did experience frugal fatigue going through this process and I think I cut things that I wasn't really necessarily willing to cut out for a lifetime. I think it's a lot like weight loss and dieting - no point in going on a diet unless you're willing to do the thing for the rest of your life, because you'll just gain the weight back. So I am being more cautious in cutting and really optimizing happiness for the funds rather than rushing to get to some ERE finish line ASAP. I want to have my "flow" and "meaning" buttoned up before I really quit anyway and I anticipate that taking a couple of years so I'm actually not rushing to get my Savings Rate as high as possible anymore like I was last time I pursued this. If I quit my job now I will just be back where I was a year ago, without making much money and not really being sure what to do with myself. So there's no point in quitting early since I don't have anything specific to quit for. I will keep updating on this but not really address it for a while.

5) Save money for a sustainable WR: Yeah this is just kind of happening naturally since evidently I'm only spending about a third of my income and my NW is skyrocketing so I'm sort of locked and loaded into this one and I am already addressing it earlier. So I'm going to stop addressing this.

6) Drop 20 lbs - well I was doing great over the holidays and then stress. Blah. I need to refocus.

7) Spirituality focus - I am meditating most days. I'd say an average of 5-6 days per week. The days it doesn't happen are usually days I go straight from work to errands to social engagement to home and it's bed time. And when I meditate right before bedtime, I basically fall asleep in the middle. So that doesn't work. Also I am not finding my meditation to be particularly effective. I am taking an online class about it right now which I'm not getting a lot out of. I might look into "insight meditation" next. That sounds interesting.

I'm still journaling almost every day, I really like that habit. Gonna keep it. I'm still tweaking my 'worksheet' every week. I like that too.

So my current foci (OMG I am so impressed I got to use that word in a sentence):
Figure Out Housing
Figure Out Flow/Meaning
Figure Out Sustainable Spending Level
Lose 20 Lbs
Figure Out a Spiritual Practice that works for me and do it daily

So I'll write about those next month.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:53 am

classical_Liberal wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:49 pm
I'm gonna have to go back and read the rest of your journal now, thanks!
Marathon session completed.

Holy shit, your thoughts are so helpful! My GF was reading her book next to me, I had to interrupt her regularly and read aloud portions of your journal from 2011-2013ish. Literally the exact same shit going through my mind that I talk about with her. I'm glad to read you're back in a relationship because I think she was getting a bit jealous. :lol: Seriously though, very helpful stuff for me and I'm very appreciative that "past you" took the time to write out all of this stuff out, thanks!

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:30 am

LiquidSapphire wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:22 pm
...7) Spirituality focus - I am meditating most days. I'd say an average of 5-6 days per week. The days it doesn't happen are usually days I go straight from work to errands to social engagement to home and it's bed time. And when I meditate right before bedtime, I basically fall asleep in the middle. So that doesn't work. Also I am not finding my meditation to be particularly effective. I am taking an online class about it right now which I'm not getting a lot out of. I might look into "insight meditation" next. That sounds interesting.
Figure Out a Spiritual Practice that works for me and do it daily...
1) How quickly do you/did you expect to feel and act differently as a result of recurrent meditation?
2) Why are 5-6 days per week not Good Enough(TM) for you?
3) What do you do, actively, to bring the meditative mindset with you when you 'leave the pillow'? IOW: have you compartmentalized your practice so that it has become disjoint from your daily life?

bigato

Post by bigato » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:35 am

LiquidSapphire wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:22 pm
I know I can cut, but I want to get a baseline for what life is like when I'm actively NOT cutting anything at all and actually spending out because "Why not I have lots of money now". I know, weird... but I really did experience frugal fatigue going through this process and I think I cut things that I wasn't really necessarily willing to cut out for a lifetime. I think it's a lot like weight loss and dieting - no point in going on a diet unless you're willing to do the thing for the rest of your life, because you'll just gain the weight back. So I am being more cautious in cutting and really optimizing happiness for the funds rather than rushing to get to some ERE finish line ASAP.
This is so important, and I'm glad you put it in words so clearly. I don't find it weird at all, I have the same feelings. It's probably related to ere being a way out of a depressive prior situation for the both of us, were cutting aggressively actually made sense in the past for a while. Time to optimize for happiness and well being now, yes! Climbing the Maslow's pyramid.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:59 pm

It always makes me so happy when I hear my journal helps someone or resonates with someone. Makes me want to write more, be here more. I'm like a flower and the engagement is like the sun. I appreciate it always and every single time. I need to read the journals of the people who comment. It's on my list. I do care and I want to be here more. I'm still struggling with time management. I want to contribute again. I'll figure it out.

Bigato omg yes so true such a good point. I'm working on self transcendence! I'm giving a self improvement speech in Toast masters this month. Nervous but excited.

Umm... 5-6 is not 7? :) I am a perfectionist? :) how quickly did i expect it to work... right away? I aint got time for unfruitful meditation? :D ha. Haha...hahaha...no I'm not taking my meditation away from the pillow. I have too many goals for the 15 minutes I allot for the practice. The clearing of the mind, the visualization piece, the self reiki, and I expect all of that to "make my life better" in some yet to be defined way. I need to refine my purpose.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:44 am

LiquidSapphire wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:59 pm
...Umm... 5-6 is not 7? :) I am a perfectionist? :) how quickly did i expect it to work... right away? I aint got time for unfruitful meditation? :D ha. Haha...hahaha...no I'm not taking my meditation away from the pillow. I have too many goals for the 15 minutes I allot for the practice. The clearing of the mind, the visualization piece, the self reiki, and I expect all of that to "make my life better" in some yet to be defined way. I need to refine my purpose.
Summary: When your life is 7/7 perfect, THEN you'll be happy, but not before. Until then you'll overload yourself with too many goals, too little time to do them, and too little mental energy spent appreciating the things you DO do for yourself, while spending plenty of mental energy on self-loathing for the too-many-things you don't get done?

Is that approximately right? And if so: how well does this strategy work for you currently? And how do you think that approach will pan out if you make it a solid part of your everyday life for the next year or two? ;)

Can you think of at least two alternative strategies and post them here? I want to see them in print :D

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:55 am

Well I wouldn't say that I'm unhappy now but I do feel stressed that there isn't time for all the things I want to do or feel to be important and I'm finding that difficult. I'm squeezing and multi tasking as much as I can but I can only do that so much and then I find myself burning 3 hours on a day off on metaphorical cat videos and being like why did I just do that that didn't add to my life at all. But there are people who red line it all day every day so how do get they do it? I think they take things one task at a time.

How does it work... I've actually accomplished a lot in life but when i look back I did my best when i focus a lot on one very big goal, ere is a good example. But I don't want to choose just one, it's all so important.

How will it pan out well maybe I'll accomplish more in less time? I am making pretty good progress on a large number of fronts I'm just mentally tired.