Mae's Musings

Where are you and where are you going?
Mae

Re: Mae's Musings

Post by Mae » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:15 pm

I definitely have issues with my parents that need to be worked out, but they are emotionally very very closed/unavailable. I see them every 3-4 months or so. Maybe I should make it a new year's resolution to call and update them at least once a month. Jason, you are inspiring me!

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:58 pm

My therapist and I have had discussions over the 180 tendency. There is a technical term for it that escapes me at the moment. But in a nutshell, in addressing behavior, attitudes or character traits that you find faulty or would like to avoid, engaging in diametrically oppositional behavior or attitudes is not an appropriate response. It's reductionist in its extremity. For instance, if you find a person to be too intellectual for his/her own good, the appropriate response is not for you to want him/her to be anti-intellectual. If a parent was distant, the answer was not for them to be smothering. I think this tendency may have some value when addressing our current political climate.

You can use extremes to find where you are comfortable. We are doing that with TV now. We are swinging the pendulum all the way to the other side in order to find an appropriate methodology and rate of consumption.

Here is a classic take on the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUvKE3bQlY

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:04 pm

On the other hand, if someone is a human anchor as someone on here coined, even if it's a parent, having less exposure to them is the rational choice. There's nothing wrong with cutting out a poisonous person from your life.

I'm speaking generally, not suggesting that either or both of your parents are poisonous, a topic about which I have zero idea.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:17 pm

I was addressing the issue from an internal/existential standpoint i.e. "If I don't like the quality (x), it does not mean its best for me to take on the opposite of the quality (anti-x)." On the issue of completely avoiding asshole family members, I'm completely down with that.

Sabaka

Post by Sabaka » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:17 pm

Well done on the savings rate guys, 89% is fantastic. Good idea with the peanuts as well. I too used to eat a lot of peanut butter everyday, and I found that when I switched to whole peanuts I consume much less before feeling full, whereas I could easily eat a tub of peanut butter and still be hungry :lol: .

Mae, if you're still looking for vegan footwear, I recently bought a pair from Will's Vegan Shoes. They are quite a pricey, but they have held up quite well, and I was using them in a warehouse environment. Here is the link if you want to have a look: https://wills-vegan-shoes.com/

Have a good new year!

Mae

Post by Mae » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:30 pm

Thank you, Sabaka! I think we can hit a consistent 70% savings rate (90% in December) if we are just that little bit smarter about our budget. But I believe our numbers are great, considering I work part-time.

It's funny you mention Will's Shoes, since I bought a pair of their sandals (https://twitter.com/WillsVeganStore/sta ... 9006989312, not my photo) last summer. Very decent.

Frugalpatat and I wish you a good 2019 :D

Mae

Post by Mae » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:45 pm

January Recap

I'm very happy with our 75,11% savings rate!

Despite being hospitalised for a week, buying hiking shoes and a laptop charger and having to pay for insurance.

I haven't seen any hospital bills yet. Insurance will cover most (if not all) of it. I did have to pay up front for my medication (this month) but will retrieve most of it. I'm VERY glad we are well-insured and so comfortable money-wise, after having had my life unexpectedly put on hold for a week.

Also, FrugalPatat had a raise. Woot.

bigato

Post by bigato » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:54 pm

I have nothing insightful to say, but wanted to comment that I read your journal and for some reason I cannot quite pin down, I like you guys.

Mae

Post by Mae » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:50 am

bigato wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:54 pm
I have nothing insightful to say, but wanted to comment that I read your journal and for some reason I cannot quite pin down, I like you guys.
:D Lol, thank you! I think we're one of the rare couples on here.

FrugalPatat

Post by FrugalPatat » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:23 am

Saving rates for
February: 72.5%
March: 74.6%

I looked at our investment account the other day. Even though we only started investing less than a year ago, I noticed the current 'profit' available would cover about a third of our yearly expenses. It doesn't mean much but it's inspiring to see it actually happening in a country with high taxes.

Mae's office is now in a rural environment. It inspires to want to go live in a more rural environment and in a house. Selling our small city-appartment would allow us to buy a house in the country side. But the choice is difficult because we want to avoid having a car; and living in a city appartment has a lot of advantages as well.

Some pros for a rural house:
-more space; currently our 60m² appartment contains a home gym and 2 rabbits, it's a bit much.
-Also in a house I would be less worried about deadlifting heavy. Currently I limit myself to sets of 8 reps to keep the weight down (currently at 8x170kg). But I prefer sets of 5. And maybe a 1 rep max from time to time.
-more quiet; we currently have a noisy neighbour and in summer there is a lot of outside noise as well
-more flexible, could think about solar, permaculture gardening etc ....

Against:
-increased commuting time; although I am allowed to work at home 2 days a week
-probably need a car
-I suppose costlier in energy and maintenance costs; but on the other hand things like appartment elevators cost a lot too even when the cost is shared with others...

FrugalPatat

Post by FrugalPatat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:18 pm

Savings rate for the past three months:
April: 77.45%
May: 82.16%
June: 74.24%

Somehow stopped ironing clothes completely. I'm happy that I'm finally okay with wearing dress shirts and pants to work that have not been ironed. It doesn't even make that much of a difference if you straighten them out a bit before they are dry.

Noticed there was a video posted online last year with some Joe Dominguez clips online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C_JjEEXIrE This guy is really entertaining.

December 30 2018 posted:
With a return on investment of 0%, no increase in income, no inflation and an SWR of 4% we currently would be considered financially independent in about 8 years. In practice I would never stop working at that point (I'd consider it maybe with an SWR of 1-2%). However I'd consider trying to get into another field outside of corporate IT without worrying too much about the salary.
But we save a bit more than anticipated, and the stock market that is still going up has also contributed to our net worth. Really only like 6-7 years away which is nice but doesn't really matter since we don't count on a SWR of 4%. The main goal is to reduce dependence on a job; not necessarily to eliminate it.

Aiming for a raise in january. I'm also thinking about working 90% instead of fulltime once I have this raise, this should maintain our savings rate. Since I don't take multi-day vacations this would allow me to work 4 days a week all of the time (1 day every 2 weeks due to the 90%; and 1 day every other 2 weeks with paid leave ). I feel much better in 4 day work weeks than in 5.

Also been reading quite a bit on gold and bonds since we reached our desired allocations in stocks and liquid cash. But still undecided.