What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
User avatar
C40
Posts: 2541
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:30 am

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by C40 »

I appreciate you sharing here :-)

BRUTE
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by BRUTE »

brute also likes humans to know how clever he is :D

User avatar
C40
Posts: 2541
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:30 am

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by C40 »

:D :) ;)

Smashter
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:05 am

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by Smashter »

I also appreciate you sharing and clarifying. I respect your smarts and your n=1 experiments, and I believe that only you know what is best for your specific biology. I apologize for calling you defeatist.

I think part of the reason we spar on health topics is I truly never thought I would see you say this:
BRUTE wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:49 pm
maybe 100% keto is not for all humans
So, kudos for updating, and may we all think things through as thoroughly as Brute.

classical_Liberal
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:05 am

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by classical_Liberal »

Augustus wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:30 pm
Augustus was not actually talking to brute. brute therefore made this logical error, not Augustus. Augustus was responding to this line in particular, as referenced in Augustus' OP:
classical_Liberal wrote: ↑ This lead me into the rabbit hole of polyunsaturated fats and cardiac disease. This research is an ongoing process with less conclusive science, but I'm "sold" enough to cut them from my diet. Further research may show them to be nearly as harmful as transfat.
If there is research indicating all pufas are bad, I am very interested in it, because I need to adjust my diet if so.
All PUSFA are not bad. My statement above is pretty clear the evidence is not yet decisive. My opinion on the matter is essentially what Brute has already stated. Vegetable oils made from industrial process (corn, soybean, even canola) may be linked to cardiac disease. Re olive oil, in the same comment I spoke about my increased olive oil consumption as it is mostly monounsaturated, again already addressed by brute. Canola oil is also "mostly" mono, but less so than olive and a lower smoke point, so less useful in cooking and less healthy

There has been plenty of discussion regarding omega 3/6 fatty acid ratios. Modern agriculture has thrown this balance out of wack and there is evidence suggesting this is the reason saturated fats (in the form of red meat) have been linked to cardiac disease. This is mainly due to the fact these animals have been fed en mass the same grain products from which we obtain our processed PUSFA oils.

Although the evidence is not yet clear. Processed vegetable oils high in omega 6 are beginning to look as if they are more harmful than helpful. Again, not all are created equal with linolenic being a huge "X" factor.

The problem with health related science; in order to show a clear cut causal effect, the impact of a single food change must be immense. There are just too many confounding variables. As a result is rarely happens. Although it has happened with transfats, if that tells you anything about the dangers.

If I were to list my opinion on fats from most harmful to most healthy based on source It would go something like:

1) Any form of trans fat (the smoking gun of CAD, as cigarettes are to small cell lung cancer)
2) Saturated fats from grain fed industrial animals high in Omega 6. (grain fattened beef, butter)
3) Processed PUSFA vegetable oils, most high in omega 6
4) Mono unsaturated oils (the more mono the better)
5) Saturated coconut butter/Saturated fats from grass fed meat
6) Fish oil high in Omega 3 (linolenic is TBD)

BRUTE
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by BRUTE »

brute personally prefers the taste of fattier meats: beef, pork. brute finds whey isolate (or other protein powders) terrible, they're not filling at all. but nothing wrong with any of it, it seems more of a personal preference.

User avatar
Lemur
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:40 am

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by Lemur »

@Brute: Fattier meat is definitely the way to go imo. It is usually the cheaper meat and fits perfectly into my Keto diet.

Keto seems to be the way to go for me; not only just for weight loss but for lifestyle as well. I feel full of stable energy (no ups or down), never get hungry during the day, I'm more mentally focused, and my bodycomposition just seems to improve subtly day by day. I'm not sleeping any better but when I do wake up in the morning, I'm not as tired as I used to be.

I mainly stick to fatty meats, eggs, cheese, avocados (sparingly...expensive little suckers), and vegetables. For veggies, usually just spinach, kale, Brocolli, and cauliflower. For caluiflower, I just take off a few chunks in the fridge and toss into whatever I'm cooking.

YMMV...I take it some people do better on carbs but some people are insulin resistant and I think diets with very low carbs really help these situations out.

IlliniDave
Posts: 2968
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by IlliniDave »

I've done low carb high protein and did fairly well on it. I'm now experimenting with keto for the first time. No real complaints so far, and in terms of general feelings of well being I don't detect much difference between LCHP and LCHF, except maybe I sleep better on LCHF. The only problem is that autumn is coming and I seem to be subject to seasonal rhythms and have strong urges which tend to fatten me up as winter approaches. Fall being the one time of year I indulge in a few hours of day time television per week (yes, football) doesn't help that.

BRUTE
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by BRUTE »

changes in behavior and body composition in rhythm with the seasons. it's almost as if humans were animals.

IlliniDave
Posts: 2968
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by IlliniDave »

BRUTE wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:27 am
changes in behavior and body composition in rhythm with the seasons. it's almost as if humans were animals.
Funny how that works, isn't it?

suomalainen
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by suomalainen »

A new study mentioned in the (failing) NY Times that supports the thesis that CICO isn't an accurate depiction of the metabolic pathways of the body:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/well ... eight.html
But a large new study published on Wednesday in the journal BMJ challenges the conventional wisdom. It found that overweight adults who cut carbohydrates from their diets and replaced them with fat sharply increased their metabolisms. After five months on the diet, their bodies burned roughly 250 calories more per day than people who ate a high-carb, low-fat diet, suggesting that restricting carb intake could help people maintain their weight loss more easily.

ajcoleman22
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:45 am

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by ajcoleman22 »

Ketoacidosis results from having insulin issues. If you are not a type 1 diabetic, this is a non-issue.

suomalainen
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by suomalainen »

Gravy Train wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:31 pm
by having a normal* diet and engaging in moderate** exercise.
Well, that's just it, right? The crux of the issue seems to be that there is disagreement on what a "normal" diet is. Is "normal" what most people do? Is "normal" what the human body is evolutionarily adapted to? Is "normal" what the government recommends (which, by the way, isn't "just read this". It's a 144-page PDF)? Low-fat, high-carb? Low-carb, high-fat? 33/33/33 carb/fat/protein? Something else?

If it were "common" sense, we wouldn't have so many fat people running (ahem) around. Me being one of them.

Kriegsspiel
Posts: 904
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Gravy Train was compelled to be wrong. Ketosis is not dangerous for normal healthy people. The keto diet wasn't "developed" for use with epileptics, it already existed, and they discovered it helped treat it. Doctors can treat you if you're sick, but don't necessarily know jack shit about diets.

BRUTE
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by BRUTE »

fwiw, brute has been in ketosis for about 3 years straight now - still not dead. but it has shown brute that while a ketogenic can be helpful for fat loss, it is not sufficient as the only factor.

overall, brute believes that diet and exercise are overrated in their roles for fat loss. they are probably only the limiting factor in about 25-50% of humans struggling with body composition. this is why diets/exercise never work for all humans - not all humans are suffering from the same problems.

"normal diet" and "moderate exercise" work unless they don't, which makes them useless advice for most humans that actually have problems losing fat.

body composition is almost purely hormone driven. hormones are influenced by many things, including: diet, exercise, sleep, stress, environment, sunlight, and probably more. thus, all of these can be important factors in body composition, but none of them are necessarily the problem an individual human has to address to improve body composition.

"it depends" is the unfortunate answer.

suomalainen
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by suomalainen »

Just cuz they produce it, don't mean they eat it. Plus, they also make corn (and therefore corn chip and high fructose corn syrup), but I don't see you throwing shade corn's way.

prognastat
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 8:30 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by prognastat »

I'm sure they also avoided potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, soda, fruit juices and high carb vegetables.

Also truck driving generally tends not to be the healthiest lifestyle itself...

suomalainen
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by suomalainen »

Yes.

Even moreso when that someone is a person who has done studies and has facts to back up the assertions. At least more than an anonymous stranger (danger!) who invokes her uncles. :lol:

prognastat
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 8:30 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by prognastat »

Actually most advocates for keto will be advocating for more vegetables, but to be more discerning with your vegetables.

You cut out carb heavy foods and replace them with extra vegetables and meat/cheese/nuts. For vegetables you focus on vegetables low on net carbs(carbs-fiber)

Not trying to be combative, but multiple of your comments have shown a lack of knowledge on what keto actually means for those following the diet.

If you are still eating lots of carbs with your meat/cheese you aren't "basically" eating a keto diet.

BRUTE
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by BRUTE »

Gravy Train wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:50 am
the fact that people are purposefully following a diet that increases their ketone level is disturbing to me.
humans also die from hyperglycemia all the time. yet many humans follow a diet that increases their blood glucose levels.

Post Reply