Post by brian »

An article on yahoo finance that is applicable to ERE
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/ar ... -happiness

Beaudacious

Post by Beaudacious »

Gotta love the comments...

Chad

Post by Chad »

Those comments on that article are horrible.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Such comments are quite typical once you get a bit away from "personal finance" circles. They start appearing as soon as you hit mainstream personal finance sites.
To an extent, I think there's also somewhat of a generational explanation of work-affinity. Blogs are mainly read by generations X and especially Y. Both of these see work as Dilbertsque organizations where careers, resumes, and being cogs in the system take precedence over the aim of the organization itself and thus the work is not entirely meaningful (beyond making their resumes look better). Whereas boomers and the silent generation essentially built these systems and manage them and thus see their work as meaningful and mistakenly presume that their underlings (X & Y) would see it the same way.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Interesting observation, and as a gen Xer I would backup the gen X Dilbertsque view. Are you categorizing the Yahoo site as a blog? Or, are you suggesting that the boomers and silent generation are on there commenting?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I think the average user age on yahoo is higher than the average user age of a given blog. Yahoo is a portal, so I think articles like that get eyeball time without people specifically seeking them out. Blogs select for younger ages. Portals select for all ages.

Piper

Post by Piper »

I didn't read the entire article or any of the comments but I did notice something right away. Wealth and autonomy are linked and autonomy and happiness are linked so that the assumption is that money buys happiness.
It is true that wealth can buy you more autonomy. But does it have to? What I mean is when I was hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, I was living a life that was filled with an amount of difficulty. I was in physical pain daily, I was always hungry, I lived in a state of sort of deprivation, carrying very few possessions on my back, and I was constantly worried--about lack of water or scary creek crossings coming up or if I had enough food to get to the next town.
When I came into a town, it was really apparent to me how I was living more like a bum than a respectable person. I smelled, I was dirty, I hurt, I was hungry, I only had a little bit of money, I didn't even have clothes to wear while doing my laundry which was humiliating. And yet, the tiniest little thing would make me infinitely more happy than I had ever felt before. A brand new spoon, finding a pair of sunglasses, finding a candy bar on a bus, getting a letter in the mail.
My point is that we've all gone down this path where the assumption is that money buys happiness (and work buys money), but is this assumption necessarily true? I think even living an ERE lifestyle we question that some, finding that we can be happy without spending and "rewarding" ourselves. It's like that yahoo article was yet another typical "money management" article that subtly keeps everyone in their proper place as consumers and workers.

shanermack

Post by shanermack »

How can there even be a doubt or question which is the greater gift? Money, or freedom....sheesh!

Freedom!

Try going to prison for 10 years and it will clear that question right up for you.

Money is absolutely positively 100% without question irrelevant to happiness or freedom.

Happiness comes from living the best life that you can and knowing that you are acting freely.

djc

Post by djc »

Agreed freedom trumps money with, IMHO, one caveat. You need enough money to provide the basics--food, shelter, transportation, medicine and water. This isn't really a lot of money if one looks at how many on this forum live on modest amounts.
I just finished rereading "Possum Living" by Dolly Freed and was still smiling in quiet affirmation at her "pluckiness". I hope everyone here gets an opportunity to check it out.
djc

ToFI

Post by ToFI »

The title is not accurate.

Money can provide freedom to people and enslave people.

The difference comes from is it a employment income or passive income?

That means we can have both money and freedom. Everybody in a free society have these two options. Some realize them some don't. It takes little time for some. It takes longer for others but it's possible. Yes sometimes freedom takes sacrifice and perseverance.