Garden Log

What skills to learn, what tools to get
jennypenny

Re: Garden Log

Post by jennypenny » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:32 pm

After a lot of baking and taste testing, we've decided this is the best recipe for zucchini bread. It has nutmeg in it which gives it a slight gingerbread taste. Tomorrow we're going to try making her zucchini chowder. I'll swap out the evaporated milk with regular milk and corn starch.

Maybe I should post these in Seppia's recipe thread instead?

The butterflies have finally arrived. I was starting to get nervous that we wouldn't see them this year. We set out some flat rocks near the butterfly bushes and put out some fruit to feed them. Tomorrow we'll set up something they can use as a water source nearby.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:04 pm

This is what happens when your tomato plants are too close together ... they look like you're storing nuclear waste in your backyard.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:02 pm

Grrr, no ripe tomatoes in the greenhouse yet this year. Hot spell coming this week might ripen the tomatoes, but will likely finish off the peas.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Blueberries are slow to ripen this year, so we've only frozen a gallon so far. Tomatoes have only yielded only 4 ripe ones so far. All this despite perfect gorgeous weather that's not cooking plants in the greenhouse. The tomato plants are chock-full of green ones, tallest plant is about 8' tall now.

On the other hand, I have a very nice watermelon on the VERY sprawling watermelon plant. That plant has just about covered the greenhouse floor!

Just about time to pluck some beets.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:49 am

Broccoli patch looks like a prop from Fallout; New Vegas. Fuck slugs.
Cilantro looks like bamboo sprouting dill.
Carrots look like octopi rather than single-root carrots.

Tell me about a garden that looks like you're storing nuclear waste in it...

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:43 am

The garden was completely neglected for 3 weeks while we traveled and got 2 of our kids off to college. We've been trying to clear the weeds as best we can and salvage anything edible. It's so overgrown, it feels more like foraging than gardening. There's not much left. The season is going to end earlier than usual for us. Today I'm planting tons of greens and herbs in our sunroom/family room that also serves as our greenhouse (it's a combo room with a glass roof that also holds my treadmill, exercise bike, and a portable clothes line ... I know, sounds lovely, right? ;) ).

This morning's pickings ...

I pulled a ham out of the freezer so DH and DS will be eating ham and green beans for the foreseeable future. I started a low carb/vegetarian diet which is why I'm eager to get the greens going.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:21 pm

My son got the job of cooking the string beans for dinner, only I forgot to mention they were 'string' beans and he didn't take them out before he cooked them. We had to eat them like peel and eat shrimp.

Tomorrow I'm making cobbler with our apples. I don't know how people go their whole lives only shopping in grocery stores or eating prepared foods. I find growing/picking/cooking food so satisfying, and not because I'm a good gardener or cook anything particularly tasty but because it feels ... I dunno ... like how it's supposed to be, I guess.

Oh, and this thing has invaded our neighborhood. They only goes after cicadas, but they're digging giant holes in everyone's lawns. And they are Stephen-King-novel freaky.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Finally, and I mean finally(!), the avalanche of ripe tomatoes has begun!

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:48 pm

George won't have time to post more any time soon....

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:45 am

If you haven't tried micro greens, they are a great introduction to indoor gardening and gardening in general. I'd say they are equivalent to growing sprouts in the amount of food they produce, only much easier. If you grow enough you can make salads out of them. They come in mild and spicy mixes as well as singles (like mustard seed). I like mixing the mild and spicy. I could see combining the mild with a pack of mustard or arugula micro greens if you really like those flavors. You could also combine them with a red or purple variety to add some color. I use them to enhance salads and other dishes (again, just like sprouts).

I threw together the first batch and stuck them in the sunroom. This time of year it's a little too hot and sunny, so they got kind of leggy. This is the first batch at 3 weeks growth ...

It was cooler by the time I did the second batch. I also made sure they got a little shade in the afternoon. They look much better (at 2 weeks growth) ...

You can see how I grow them from the picture. I punch holes in the top tray before filling it with dirt. I keep it in a second tray and always water from the bottom by filling the second tray with 1/4" of water and replacing the top tray. The only exception is when I mist the seeds after they are first planted until they sprout (2-3 days). When it's cold, I use a heat mat or move them into a warmer room at night.

They are cut-and-come-again plants like lots of other greens. So easy.

I buy mixes from Johnny's and High Mowing. HM is cheaper but Johnny's mix is a little nicer/more attractive. Johnny's has more varieties if you really get into growing them. I'm cheap, though, and buy most of mine from HM.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Onion harvest last week: 20 lbs Walla Walla and 12 lbs Redwing. Something (raccoon? coyote? bobcat?), at the end of the onion row, went after a mole or mouse, digging down into the tunnel like a dog.

Finished off the beets; should have planted more.

Carrots are sizing up nicely, will begin light harvests.

Tomatoes have not yet forced me to pull the dehydrator out of storage. Maybe next week?

Sweet peppers (green, red, & yellow) are possibly going to break even this year.

One watermelon on the vine filling the greenhouse is very close to being ripe... I consider that a total success since it was a volunteer plant from last year's experiment!

Garlic... I must remember to order garlic because I forgot last year!

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:10 am

Have you ever tried drying cherry tomatoes? One bush is putting out way more than I can eat. But it's nice trying.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:26 pm

I have not tried cherry tomatoes, but "they say" just cut them and dry them.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Pretty tasty for a volunteer in the greenhouse.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:02 pm

This guy (and hundreds of his friends) are loitering in my yard. I've never seen them before. Anyone know what they are?

ffj

Post by ffj » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:21 pm

https://www.almanac.com/content/woolly- ... prediction

We call them wollybuggers down here. They are on the move this time of year and i always end up driving over a bunch of them on the road.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:32 pm

Huh, that's definitely what they are. I've never seen them here before.

Now I have to go count rings to see what kind of winter we're going to have.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:34 pm

We call them wooly bears. I pet them. I think that I enjoy it more than they do. I don't even know what insect they are, when mature.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:06 pm

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:07 pm

First frost hit earlier this week. Picked a second watermelon because they're not going to grow any more with cool overcast weather, but it wasn't quite ripe, so only got a couple spoonfuls out of it.