Which Job?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

I have a dilemma that I'd love to get the forum's advice on.
Current Job

Pittsburgh, PA

70,000 Salary

Potential Bonus up to 10% (unlikely based on historical data)

4% 401(k) Match

Pension Plan - 3% (3 Year Vesting)

No tuition reimbursement

Current job is a manager assigned to build out a new function for my group

Like my job duties

Like my direct boss

Good working relationship with my peers
*About eight weeks ago we went through a reorganization and I was put into a new job with a new boss. My prior job was also managing several functions in the department. I got a "promotion" to a higher job grade but no raise. This will affect earning potential for several years as normally yearly increase (within the job grade) are limited to a modest maximum. When the above happened, I felt very slighted and put in a few applications for other jobs that were of interest.
Offered Job*

Chicago, IL

Approximately 90,000 Salary

Approximately 5,000 post-tax moving bonus

6% 401(k) Match + 1% Company Contribution

Pension Plan - 5% (5 Year Vesting)

100% Tuition Reimbursement for MBA and/or JD after 1 year

Job Duties - Non-Managerial Audit-like Work

VERY VERY interesting work.

Seems like good career prospects (Plan on working at least 10-20 more years)

Obviously no idea how I will like my job and coworkers once I am there.

*Waiting on Formal Offer - but I expect this to be a decent estimate.
Other Factors

I moved to Pittsburgh within the last year and have never taken to the city as I mentioned on a previous post.

I have lived in Chicago and loved living there.

I have an established social network in both Pittsburgh and Chicago

I am a theater junkie - Chicago has an organized volunteer group that I was part of (and would be again) where you volunteer usher in exchange for seeing the show - I would get to be out at the theater a couple of nights/week - I consider this a HUGE benefit

Chicago is further from my family - so I would go from seeing them 3x/month to 1x/month

Although cost of living is higher in Chi - I would be able to get rid of my car and gas expense as they have great public transportation.
About Me

28 years old. Single. Net worth approximately $30,000.00 (I'm WAY behind but started at -48,000 so making progress). Still paying off Car Loan and Student Loans. Also contributing 20% to 401(k) and maxing out a Roth IRA. Not fully committed to ERE lifestyle, but a minimalist and trying to move more towards ERE.
Would you stay put in the old job or take the new job?
I'm seeking advice from all avenues, but most of the people in my life are sadly earn more, spend more --- so I'm interested to her the perspective of ERE folks.
Thanks in Advance!

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Based on what you have said, it seems like Chicago is a good choice. The two caveats are:
1). It sounds like you'll like Chicago more, but how much will you have to spend to enjoy it? If you can keep lifestyle creep from happening, I think the higher baseline COL is acceptable.
2). Assess how important it is that you fit with new coworkers. If it's very important, you can request additional interviews after you get an offer (maybe phone interviews). Use the fact that they want you to talk to as many people as possble about as many aspects of the company as you can. Remember, you already have a job so you can afford to really find a good fit.
By the way, tuition reimbursement is great, but don't underestimate how stressful it will be to have a full time job plus go to grad school. If you love learning, it can be worth it, but since you are on the ere site, o assume that you want to lower your stress in general.
Ps it's sad, but "build out a new function for my group" is absolute gibberish to me. Maybe *I* should go get an MBA :-)

Chad

Post by Chad »

I will keep this simple. Given your goals, interests, and more of an ER lifestyle than ERE (no criticism, as I am too) the Chicago job seems to have all the positives. The only real issue appears to be how often you want to see your family and how often you need to see your family. That's something you will have to answer.
A secondary issue would be that you are not managing anyone anymore (Chicago), which would look like a step down on your resume.
On a side note: Pittsburgh is difficult to socially break into, as most people grew up there and already have their friends/cliches they hang out with and it has the oldest population of any major U.S. city. There was an interesting WSJ article a few years ago that highlighted a couple who moved there about 8 years before, but were still considered "new" by their neighbors.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

You have enough frustration at your current job that moving to the new job makes sense. Especially considering that you're in management, where sitting still is not recommended.

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

If you would take advantage of the free MBA or JD I'd say Chicago is a far better deal.
I got a free year of law school from my old job. It was like getting a $40k bonus. I was on the fence about going for years, but the free tuition made it a no-brainer.

Eliza

Post by Eliza »

Thanks everyone for responding! I appreciate everyone's opinions! I'm leaning towards Chicago, so I may have biased everyone towards that option with the way I wrote the post.
@dragoncar - Oddly I spent less on entertainment/fun when I lived in Chicago than I do now, but correlation is not causation! I also think "Build out a new function for my group" is gobbledy-gook, but nevertheless that's my assignment. My boss' boss gets an idea - we should do something shiny and new that nobody in our department has any experience with - I get assigned to make it happen!
@chad - The major con of the new job would be seeing my family less! The New Company is very influential in my industry. This position with them, even without management responsibilities would be considered a lateral move and maybe even a step up.
@George - I agree, if my gut is telling me to get out, I think it is important to listen. But -- I've made several jumps already in a short career...when does continuing to move around become excessive?
@Mike - I have been waffling on the law school question for YEARS now. It's never made sense for me financially, but if the company was paying that would greatly change the equation.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

> I've made several jumps already in a short

> career...when does continuing to move around

> become excessive?
As long as you're moving up and the stints average more than a year, then only the most conservative employer would feel it is excessive. Far worse are breaks in employment where you go traveling or on sabbatical that isn't schooling... that is when the employer will have doubts. As you move up, it becomes harder to find better positions, so the stints will last longer and match the typical 3-6 year duration for "an individual on the move".
<oh no! I'm writing about careerism!>

Eliza

Post by Eliza »

<oh no! I'm writing about careerism!>
Sorry to make you write about careerism! But I do appreciate your insights!

tjt

Post by tjt »

Eliza,

When I saw you say "VERY VERY interesting work." I figured the Chicago job was right for you. If that's an exaggeration, then consider otherwise. If not, then I'd recommend yo go with that., I didn't see anything about the two jobs that would clearly differentiate from an ERE perspective except for salary, and that wasn't enough to make the decision.
Conclusion: I'd do the job that seems more meaningful and rewarding unless one was WAY more money (which it's not).
Side note: I grew up in Pittsburgh and went to college in Chicago, so I've experienced both cities. I plan to go back to Pittsburgh when I'm ERE'd. Real estate, culture, and sports all draw me back.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Concerning career jumps...I don't think it matters anymore. I have 2 positions on my resume of less than 4 months. No one ever seems to care as long as you have a decent reason for the moves. Plus, the Great Recession will force many of them to not even care about big pieces of time where someone isn't working.
Basically, if they like you they will find reasons to hire you and if they don't like you they will find reasons to not hire you. Whether, it's "she hasn't stayed long enough at all her positions" or "like her, but the last person we had who graduated from that university wasn't great", there is no perfect resume or career.
@tjt

Go Steelers!