Personal hygiene [example level]

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Stahlmann

Personal hygiene [example level]

Post by Stahlmann »

Hi!

I am coming from more ,,theorethical" background (I have read Jacob ERE book) , but I need ,,practical" solution (I am still learning) for those problems.

How do you optimize following expenses? (assumptions: I ,,want" them)
1. Cleaning your mouth (I mean toothpaste) (In Europe I cant find anything bigger than 60ml) (I heard about making my own)
2. Cleaning gel (for your body) (In Europe I cant find anything bigger than 500ml) (I have heard about making my own)
3. Deodorant (In Europe I cant find anything bigger than 100g Alum-(K) stick)
4. Techniques to achieve cold showers (Now I like hot showers)
5. Razors (I can buy 5 or 100 in a box)

Or maybe this thread will be place to share best videos of DIY mentioned products.
Or maybe we can skip it and move to paradigm shift level

Cheers

jennypenny

Re: Personal hygiene [example level]

Post by jennypenny »

The ERE Wiki is a good place to start ... http://earlyretirementextreme.com/wiki/ ... =Main_Page

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

1) It's not really something I bother to optimize as it's such a small part of the budget. If you're willing to deal with DIY paste (I'm not), you can go that way. Otherwise, something like this will give you a little bit more: https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Metal-Wrin ... B003XKEK50
2) I don't even know what that is. How about a bar of soap?
3) I rarely use deodorant (Each stick lasts more than 2 years). This is mainly to avoid yellowing shirts. The smell is from bacteria living in the pits, so get rid of the bacteria and problem solved. Shaving most of the hair away (you don't need to do a perfect job) will help a lot.
4) http://earlyretirementextreme.com/modif ... owers.html
5) I find some blades last way longer than others.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

So do you use universal grooming machine for armpits and pubic hair? I meant they recommend not to do so (according to manual).

I was spoiled kid I do not understand how can I use soap for 30 sec (do you cover whole body? What kind of soap do you use? How do you wash off? - this bugs me most).

I meant shower gel - there is no way you can clean your body from it in 1 min - perfect example of lock-in.
Do you know something about it?

I cohabit it is more about eating my own dog food.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

does Stahlmann use a Gillette type razor with expensive 5-blade cartridges or a safety razor where a lifetime supply of blades costs ~$10?

soap bars +1. most parts of the human body don't get very dirty/smelly. arm pits, crotch, mostly. wet area first, or soap won't stick to it. slather bar of soap over for 2 seconds. add some more water to foam up. rinse.

some humans even go without soap/shampoo completely these days. brute is a soap bar enthusiast, and likes trying out soaps with different textures/smells. Stahlmann can just try around until he finds a bar that he really likes.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

So how do you treat smelly foot?
Do you use same bar for pubic area and foot?
If it comes to razors - I would like to make transition :p and I am wondering about their time of usage.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

if foot smelly => wash foot. it's simple, really.

safety razor blades: it would probably be cheaper to get them even if they were single use. brute gets between 1-4 weeks out of them, but then brute is lazy and doesn't shave every day.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

I've been using the same safety razor blade all year. Shave 5 or 6 times a week. After shaving, take it out of the razor, rinse and dry both it and the razor. Put it back in the razor and into the medicine cabinet. It is the water/microscopic rust more than any thing that dulls them. I will be curious to see if it lasts all year. Still shaves smoothly without any nicks nearly 10 months in. It's a Dorco blade, but nothing special about them. I bought them because they were cheaper than any others I cpuld find. It helps to shave after hot showering as hairs are softened up.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

1. Cleaning your mouth (I mean toothpaste) (In Europe I cant find anything bigger than 60ml) (I heard about making my own) I use mouthwash I buy in bulk, no paste. It is abrasive.
2. Cleaning gel (for your body) (In Europe I cant find anything bigger than 500ml) (I have heard about making my own) unscented bar soap inbulk
3. Deodorant (In Europe I cant find anything bigger than 100g Alum-(K) stick) I use a mineral salt stick available in most hippie stores/co-ops. The salty skin is inhospitable to bacteria
4. Techniques to achieve cold showers (Now I like hot showers) take a hot shower, finish with the coldest shower you can stand. Decide for yourself how far you want to push this. I've washed up in glacier runoff, but I wouldn't recommend it.
5. Razors (I can buy 5 or 100 in a box)beard

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

wow. yea, keeping them dry is important. even a fresh blade, if exposed to humidity, will be dull after a week.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

BRUTE wrote:if foot smelly => wash foot. it's simple, really.

safety razor blades: it would probably be cheaper to get them even if they were single use. brute gets between 1-4 weeks out of them, but then brute is lazy and doesn't shave every day.

well, I am more concerned about microflora of my foot and my pee-pee when I use 1 bar of soap for them.

Noedig

Post by Noedig »

Stahlman,

When I shower I get wet first, then step out of the spray and use the soap (actually shampoo) all over, face first and ending with downstairs, then rinse it off.

I use BIC two bladed disposable razors. A pack will last me a year. Those things are great value.
I buy huge own brand Head n Shoulders style anti dandruff shampoo (the blue kind with Selenium) and use it all over.
I bought a huge spool of thick dental floss. Can't remember when I got that.
I use half a capful of Listerine mouthwash every few days. A 1L bottle lasts longer than six months.
I use a Braun electric toothbrush. Get the heads from ebay. Toothpaste is Euthymol, you use so little each time a tube lasts forever (many months)

And rough towels. Must be rough. Used to like soft when a kid. Now can't stand soft.

Basic toiletries cost so little it will not affect ERE. However all of us have some body anxiety and a need for control, so sharing is good. Consider the above a peek into my bathroom cabinet.

MZMpac

Post by MZMpac »

Dollar Shave Club is a pretty good value if you only buy their cheapo razors. Depends on how much you shave, but a 5-pack lasts me 2 months. And it's $1.

For soap, I am a Dr. Bronner's guy for life. 1 soap, hair and body, amazing suds, organic, rinses clean!

Deodorants suck, I try not use them but when I do I use the deodorant-only (no antiperspirant).

Toothpaste is so cheap, just buy the value brands. Not worth the effort to DIY.

Cold showers? I'll pass unless I have no choice. That's a luxury I'll pay for. Helps to have an all-purpose soap and shave after. 10 mins.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I don't use tooth paste. Just water or sometimes baking soda.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Give your feet a baking soda bath to get rid of the smell. Add lemon juice if you want (for smell and staining).

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I'm a big fan of Dr. Bronner's:
https://wildflowerbotanicals.wordpress. ... ers-soaps/

I've not used it for all these uses, but I love the peppermint. Not the cheapest, but great for minimalism.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

I used to have some gnarly feet smell too.

Some deodorant powder on feet works wonders. As does wearing sandals most of the time to avoid the humidity build up inside of shoes. For the first time in my life, I don't have athlete's foot.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Ahhh, just brushed my teeth. Phillips sonicaire. Got blem motors on eBay. They work great but require two button presses to shut down...if you don't go through the entire two minute cycle. I use the three pack of Colgate from Walmart. Cheap stuff.

I use two types of floss twice a day. Waxed for the permanent retainers from childhood orthodontics and unwaxed for effective cleaning on the other teeth.

Once a week I water pik with a shot of listerine in the reservoir with two cups of water to deep clean my gums.

The process takes a good ten minutes but teeth are an investment that pays me everyday. My grandfather had lost every tooth by my age (47). Good dental hygiene has paid off so far.

I wear sandals everyday. My feet never had an odor problem. I have noticed they are crusty and dry at the heels now. They crack. If I wear socks under my sandals this doesn't happen. I actually moisturize my heels with SO's body lotion to keep them from cracking apart. This never happened when I wore dress socks and oxfords all day. I'm on the other side of the spectrum from wet nasty feet.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

I will strike one more time.

What about hair?
They tend to be most water consuming issue for me.
Any other ideas than cutting them very short?

I treat my life as RPG and I need to find balance between bald and spending too much water hurting environment!

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Stahlmann, I trim my hair (head) with £10 clippers. Size 3 on back and sides, 4 to layer the crown and 5 or 6 on top depending on how I'm feeling. I use scissors to clean up around ears. Simple.

If I have to look my best, I go to a local barber where they do a scissors cut for £4, but this 10 minute ride on bike which is more hassle than I care for, so usually do it myself.

I shave with a basic DE safety razor, or when I can't be bothered shaving use a beard trimmer without a guard on.