Fixit Log

What skills to learn, what tools to get
Sclass

Re: Fixit Log

Post by Sclass » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:18 am

I’ve recently had to upgrade my iphones. A number of things like moving from CDMA to GSM and also the power consumption on my iPhone 4s handsets drove me to the iPhone 6s. The hardware has been quite good. It’s the software that seems to get outdated. My iOS 9 Safari won’t even show modern website content. The battery life is too short due to inefficient chips. And worse, Apple is only releasing the new iOS 13 for iPhone 6s and up. So my gut feel is there will be a lot of perfectly good phones sitting unused in drawers soon.

Sad. Unsustainable. But we cannot keep using tube TVs forever. The new tech is amazing and powerful. Unfortunately it comes at a great energy and environmental cost. I don’t think the typical phone user understands just how much refinement goes into a smartphone. That refinement comes at a great cost and it gets washed away in 24 months contracts between upgrades.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:23 am

I’m not sure phones have that much of an environmental cost, compared to running a car, flying, eating beef, owning too much house.

I want to extract as much value as possible from mine whilst minimising costs but I don’t feel particularly guilty about owning it.

bigato

Post by bigato » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:14 am

Just to play devil's advocate here, but we don't really need smartphones all that much, do we? Considering all that it has been shown to do to our brains, I'm seriously considering not replacing my iphone SE once it dies.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:22 am

bigato wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:14 am
Just to play devil's advocate here, but we don't really need smartphones all that much, do we? Considering all that it has been shown to do to our brains, I'm seriously considering not replacing my iphone SE once it dies.
I used to think that but if I look at the number of services I access through my phone now I think I would miss it. However I don't do Twitter/Facebook so perhaps I avoid the worst aspects.

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:47 am

@bigato: are smartphones doing these things to our brains or are we doing them ourselves? I think they are but a tool and it's our responsibility to use them responsibly.

I see my smartphone's main benefit in how it replaces several other devices (dumbphone, MP3 player, watch, camera, kindle, laptop/tablet etc.). Also, having access to the internet almost anywhere is very useful.

bigato

Post by bigato » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:10 am

Sclass

Post by Sclass » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:07 pm

tonyedgecombe wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:23 am
I’m not sure phones have that much of an environmental cost, compared to running a car, flying, eating beef, owning too much house.

I want to extract as much value as possible from mine whilst minimising costs but I don’t feel particularly guilty about owning it.
I don’t have a good idea either. It’s just a feeling I get when I look inside a phone. There is a level of integration, refinement and beauty that just cannot come out of nowhere. Entropy thermodynamics law forgot the exact one. I visualize a river of guck sloughed off to produce the shiny little object in my hand that looks so nice and clean.

Once nice thing about repairing is I get to see how Apple puts things together. They are by far the cutting edge in assembly from their system on chip microstructure to their novel materials. We used to dream about the stuff in PowerPoint back in 2000. Now it’s sitting right under my microscope. Size is misleading.

I think this stuff may have a bigger impact than we can imagine. But I may have to visit a Congolese cobalt mine or a fab in Shenzhen making facial recognition dot projector ICs before I’m sure.