Walk vs. Bike to work?

Move along, nothing to see here!
dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

I'm going to be moving 2 miles from work, and plan to walk and/or bike. I'm guessing walking would take 30 min vs. 15 min biking. However, I suspect biking will entail additional steps at either end (changing clothes, securing/preparing bike, etc.), so it might not end up being much faster.
Although I'm sure I'll do both (depending on how late I am), which do you think is preferable? From a health perspective, walking would seem better as a weight-bearing exercise with no coasting.
On the other hand, biking home from work I'm much more likely to just stay on the bike and go a few more miles.
P.S. I did Google it, but yahoo answers tend to suck.

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

In terms of frugality, walking would be the least expensive, as it requires no gear, special clothing, maintenance, etc. The time differential will be greater than you think--I'd say it'll take 5 minutes to change clothes, meaning the commute is 10 minutes shorter one way.
I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference. I don't really like cycling, but I love walking. If I were you, I'd walk. But if you enjoy cycling, this is a great way to integrate your hobby into your routine.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

If you're walking at 4mph (forced march) you'll probably be changing clothes as well.
If I was biking is tie&suit, yeah that would be a clothes change ... anything else, definitely not.
Alternatively, you could run it... that will be approximately as fast as biking it given the time it takes to park and lock the bike.
Ultimately try both and do what you prefer ...
I walked about 5km each way for 6 months because I was too lazy to fix a flat on my bike and came to like it. It can be meditative ... either you get to think a lot and have good ideas ... or you space out in "empty-mind" and the time passes fast (like a really long bike ride). At the end I could almost keep pace with slow joggers while walking. You get fast(!) Also this was during the time when I did an annual "volksmarch" (kinda like what they do for cancer nowadays except this was mainly a semi-military march) and walked two consecutive marathons in two days in 13 hours combined with no training.
Also if you walk, you don't have to maintain a bike.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

You could get an electric bike so you don't break a sweat.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

I'll probably keep a bike anyways for recreation, and getting around town. I'm a prolific sweater, so on the way to work I'd try to keep the intensity low for both walking and biking (this is why I can't work out in the mornings... even after a shower I'll have a good hour of increased body temperature and sweat through my work clothes). Otherwise, running would be a great idea (biking is much slower than you'd expect because of traffic lights that would be dangerous/illegal to run). Also, there's no shower at work.
If I change clothes at work, I can just keep all my work clothes in the office and have them cleaned at a place near work.
I agree this is probably something I'll just have to try both ways, and will probably mix and match. Ride bike into work. Lave bike at work because I'm going somewhere after work where I wouldn't want to park bike. Walk/bus home. Walk to work next morning. Bike home after work. Etc.
I do enjoy walking and find it meditative as you suggest. The bus takes 15 min also so that's probably only going to happen on rainy days.
P.S. I did consider an electric bike but I don't think the cost is justified vs. just going slow (it's relatively flat). I can take the bus for free due to transit benefits, so the point is mostly to get some kind of mild exercise in each day.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I think you're correct in that walking is cheaper and simpler but biking is faster. Also consider unusual circumstances. If it's raining hard it's probably easier to stay presentable walking. A bike can carry more cargo comfortably. If it were me I'd be prepared for both and decide on a day-by-day basis.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

A thick layer of snow, or icy roads, would be a reason for me to walk. Falling down while biking can seriously hurt you. On particularly warm days, biking can be nice to cool you down by creating air flow. Also it means being exposed to the heath and sun for a shorter time. Per minute, biking is also a more intense exercise (but yes, since it is a fixed distance, walking may burn more calories). As KevinW suggests, I would decide per day. The road to work is the most important thing. If you get wet on your way home, you can quickly change clothing and you're good. You can also always decide in the evening that you'll leave your bike at work and walk home, at least I think so? Keep an umbrella at work for these kind of occassions.

aussierogue

Post by aussierogue »

i am 5km from the melbourne cbd and when i do work there i do both depedning on the weather, how i feel and how much time I have..
Walking is just about the only time i get to listen to my favorite radio stations..

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Why do just one? I'd keep the bike ready to go, but usually would walk. I think you'll find both those times will go down. You could probably do the walk in 20 and the ride in 10.
You will have to chain the bike at work (unless you can take it in) but you'll have that down to 10 seconds.
No special clothes are required, nor changing because I doubt you'll break a sweat. You will need fenders, however. Other than that, you can just tuck your right pant leg into your sock, and pull it out when you are at work.
I'd normally walk for all the reasons mentioned. I really think much better when walking too... But I'd keep the bike ready to go for those days where you are running late or feel like something new.

sky

Post by sky »

I live a mile away from work and bike to work when the weather is good, and walk when it is snowy or heavy rain. Sometimes I leave my bike at work if it is raining hard and walk back the next morning.
Sweating has everything to do with how much you exert yourself while bike riding. If you keep it in a low gear and pedal and coast, you will not be sweaty after two miles. If there are hills you could be sweaty though.
Biking is faster and more fun, but walking is fine.
ETA: another tip, keep an umbrella at work and one at home. That way you always have one when you need it and don't need to carry it all the time, just when needed or when delivering it back after using it.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Walk in and run home most days. Walk home 1 day/week and carry all of your work clothes home at once.
Did you buy a place?

teewonk

Post by teewonk »

I live two miles from work. One day, I wondered whether biking was really faster than walking, considering prep time, so I timed myself. Biking won at 18 min vs 35 min. I would sweat significantly less because it didn't take as long, biking was more efficient, and the wind cools you off. I usually wear my work clothes, though in hot weather, I'll change my shirt when I arrive. I'm also a prolific sweater. On exercise days, the bike ride home can be a warm-up, and you can then change and go for a run.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Thanks for the feedback, gang.
No, I didn't buy a place -- the place I was considering was in a different (and far cheaper) metro area. But I took a hard look at my commute time, and my social life, and decided I wanted to be in "the city." It should save 1-1.5 hours per day in commute, and I'll be less likely to decline invitations to hang out in favor of "catching the bus."

tmp

Post by tmp »

After reading this thread I decided to start walking to work from now on.

Distance is 2,6 km which takes less than 25 min.

Some benefits from this:

- Less bike maintenance

- Nicer route (through a park instead of traffic)

- A less stressful way to travel / less risk for an accident

- Time for reflections

- Badassity points :-)

m741

Post by m741 »

I walk about 30 minutes each day as part of my commute - along with subways - and I've never really considered biking, although I do have a 'bikable' distance to go. I'm too lazy to drag out the bike, maintain it, find somewhere to lock it up, etc. Also I live in an urban area, so there's lots of potentially dangerous intersections with stupid drivers.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

I used to commute by bike for a few months, trying to save money, but in retrospect it would have been cheaper just to take public transportation.
Biking is also not that much faster than walking; it basically just cuts the time in half. I see most other people on this thread have confirmed that. I'd personally prefer to walk and save myself the sweating.
In the past, I've seen other threads on this forum claiming one could travel 20 miles per hour by bike. I can't see how that's possible. If I go at top speed while going downhill with a long stretch of emptiness in front of me I might get 16 mph tops, but definitely not for the whole ride, especially when you take traffic lights into consideration.

m741

Post by m741 »

If you're on relatively flat ground in the suburbs or country, it's possible to maintain 20mph. I had a speedometer on my bike when I was younger (about 14) and my cruising speed (no real exertion) was 13mph. I could hit 20-22 pushing myself on flat ground, and even higher on hills. So it seems feasible for people who take biking seriously.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

I also have a shitty bike, so there's that.

flyer2009

Post by flyer2009 »

I live in a relatively small community (<100K people) but one that gets a variety of weather, including ice and snow and prohibits riding on sidewalks. The biggest factor that prevented me from biking is the experience a coworker had of being hit by a driver who turned into him and simply didn't look. The drivers here are nuts, possibly because of proximity to a major metro area. The potential for permanent disability and forced, unpleasant ERE prevents me from considering biking. Something to consider in your community too.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

This makes me laugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nMnr8ZirI

That, only from the drivers perspective, is basically how my small town works.
@flyer: Turned into him from a stop sign?... All the bikers I've seen get hit, were hit because they made an assumption a car saw them and allowed themselves to be in a vulnerable position.
Biking and walking both face danger from cars... You can never assume a car is going to do what you expect. When cars are waiting to turn, I always go around their back end. This accomplishes several things.
1) I don't have to guess at what they're going to do.

2) I maintain speed because I can avoid 1.

3) It's my own symbolic middle finger to the many drivers who think I need their permission or protection to get around.