Is this frugal or cheap? (airfare decision)

Move along, nothing to see here!
before45

Post by before45 »

Hi folks,
I'm going on vacation soon, and I'm buying a plane ticket. And I can save a little over $200 if I spend 6 hours overnight in an airport. I can afford to pay $200 more, but at least at this moment napping in an airport doesn't seem like a big deal, and that would be $200 that I can spend on something that I care more about. But I always think that, and when I'm lying on the floor of the airport at 4am will I think I am just a crazy cheap person and should've spent the extra money?
Part of the problem is that for various reasons I won't be leaving my job as soon as I'd planned, and with the market going gangbusters I'm below 4%SWR already, so I'm feeling like I should "splurge" a little, like not sleeping on the floor of an airport. But a lifetime of frugality is a strong habit, so . . . I'm posting here. Am I being smart and saving $200 by trading a little inconvenience, or am I becoming a crazy cheapo? I would value any opinions. Thanks!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'd do it. I take redeye flights to avoid paying for a hotel :-)

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

It's both frugal and smart... Let's break it down.
Stay in airport:

$200 / 6 hours = +$33.33 per hour.

$33.33 / .75 (post tax efficiency of earned income) = +$44.44 per hour to sit there and get a little tired.
Sleep in hotel:

Assumptions: -$200 savings lost, -$100 hotel cost, 1 hour sleep lost commuting and checking in

$300 * 1.25 ($1.25 income to save $1 post tax) = $406

-$406 / 5 hours sleep = -$81.25 per hour for restless and anxious pre-flight sleep.
$80 an hour to roll around on a strange mattress worrying about missing a flight? Hell no; bring a camping mattress + blanket, some books, movies, some snaps and enjoy the savings.

C40

Post by C40 »

I'd do it (Save the $ and nap in the airport).
Only cases I wouldn't recommend it is if you have something very important the next day and you want to make sure you're not tired, or if maybe there are actually other options that are not (much) more expensive but don't require the airport overnight (did you research enough flight and airport options? Are you sure you even need to fly rather than drive? assuming you have a car..)

dalralmi

Post by dalralmi »

I would save the money. Although I'm a strange person who can sleep anywhere on any surface so the Inconvenience of staying in the airport doesn't seem horrible to me...especially since I'm great at packing tiny blankets and pillows in my carryon... You could easily find good spot to nap. I'd be more concerned about the fact that airports are less likely to let people "hang out" overnight in the waiting areas. I could be wrong on this since i haven't flown in a long time, but the airports around here lock down the entire terminal at night and send ALL employees home so they clean out the airport beforehand and may not let you "stay" if it is a BIG airport you shouldn't have to worry about it though.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Depends on the situation. We had this happen on an overnight in Newark. We had 2 smaller kids with us and I was not sure if we could stay in the secure area. Sleeping on a bench in Newark with the kids seemed a little much for me. If I was alone or with SO and felt comfortable with the airport, I would do it in a heartbeat.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I'd probably spend $50 on a bus ticket and local [to the airport] motel.
I'm generally way more forgiving on one-time expenses than recurring expenses. I presume this is a one-time expense. Not something that happens 10 times/year. In other words, what's your annual cost of those $200?

bibacula

Post by bibacula »

I've slept in several airports without any problems, but maybe I'm just a very good sleeper. Here's a guide with reviews for different airports.
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/

chicago81

Post by chicago81 »

A moderate compromise: Book the flight with the night-layover, but buy admission to one of the lounges/clubes for about $75. Drinks (some alcoholic included), snacks, wifi, electrical outlets, comfortable chairs, magazines, newspapers, all included. Set up camp with your laptop and some house wine and cheese :)
Edit: Looks like the United Club day pass only costs $50

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content ... rates.aspx

C40

Post by C40 »

... you have to get out of that airport and find some bushes!! :-) Just kidding. Thanks for sharing the stories Bigato.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Airport clubs: check whether they are open all night. Most I have been in are closed overnight, so an overnight stay would not work there.

nawor

Post by nawor »

Do it. Sleep in the airport.
I recently had a 7 hour overnight stop and was debating whether to sleep in the airport or get a motel. I went with the airport and got a solid 6 hours of sleep which I wouldn't have been able to get in a hotel.
Go prepared with earplugs and a night mask. Find a good spot to sleep and enjoy.
There is a website dedicated to sleeping in airports with reviews on each airport. http://www.sleepinginairports.net/

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

It's a vacation and only $200. Just take the good flight and get some sleep.