The 9.9 Percent Is the New American Aristocracy

Should you squeeze the toothpaste tube in the middle or from the end?
7Wannabe5

Re: The 9.9 Percent Is the New American Aristocracy

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:15 am

Based on a couple conversations I have had recently, I wonder if this is in part due to a growing disconnect between hiring and training. Apparently the number of people trained and available for entry level jobs in technology is greater than demand, but employers are willing to pay top dollar for any individual who has the exact combination of skills and experience for the position they need to fill RIGHT NOW.

From "Scale", West
Just as bounded growth in biology follows from the sublinear scaling of metabolic rate, the super-linear scaling of wealth creation and innovation (as measured by patent production, for example) leads to unbounded, often faster-than-exponential growth consistent with open-ended economies. This is satisfyingly consistent, but there's a big catch, which goes under the forbidding technical name of a finite time singularity. In a nutshell, the problem is that the theory also predicts that unbounded growth cannot be sustained without having either infinite resources or inducing major paradigm shifts that "reset" the clock before potential collapse occurs...

...Theory dictates that such discoveries must occur at an increasingly accelerating pace; the time between successive innovations must systemically and inextricably get shorter and shorter...

...This is clearly not sustainable, potentially leading to the collapse of the entire urbanized socioeconomic fabric.
So, the purpose of these articles in "The Atlantic" and "Wired", might be early warning sirens put out by intelligent NF types (emotional intuitive-tending towards neurotic self-doubt/blame), at the first sniff of smoke in the air. They aren't meant to detail a practical plan of action. They are just the modern equivalent of "Look. The birds fly low and the cattle are restless."

The map is not the territory. The bleeding edge is not the map. Until it is.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:57 am

It is the stillest words that bring on the storm. Thoughts that come on doves’ feet guide the world.

Smashter

Post by Smashter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:21 am

A couple years ago, I crashed at my brother in law's for a month while moving to San Franciso. He lived in a luxury high rise in the rapidly gentrifying Mission District. Anytime I went out on the balcony, I looked out upon a full-on tent city. There had to have been at least 20-30 people living on the sidewalk next to the building. It was rife with drugs, public urination, and fighting, including one epic standoff between a guy wielding a bicycle tire and another who was swinging a baseball bat. That got bad enough for the cops to be called.

Speaking of bicycle tires -- I was surprised to find that they are used in much the same way as cigarettes in a prison. They seemed to be the universal currency of the homeless. You could estimate how long a tent would stay in one place, presumably flush with drugs, by the pile of tires stacked next to their tent. It goes without saying that leaving your bike outside, no matter how well locked, was foolish.

The car break-in situation was insane as well. Anytime you went for a long walk you would see at least one car with a side window smashed in. I once saw a note on a car outside my building (in a pretty good area, keep in mind) that read -- "I swear to god there is nothing of value in here. My car has been broken into three times. Please just stop."

The whole city was a jarring juxtaposition. It was a weird and sad place to live. I was very happy to move out.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:25 am

It's news to me that symphonies take taxpayer money, and I'd like to see some data on that. They are, like churches, mostly non-profit and so enjoy those tax benefits. But they are mostly funded by personal and corporate philanthropy. It seems a straw man to argue the tax dollars of the poor are being exploited to benefit the rich concertgoer. Symphonies do perform free concerts for low-income kids regularly too.
You are right.

Back in the nineties a friend was working on Benaroya hall, the new Seattle symphony building. It has some very cool accoustical properties, and at the time, I was playing with soundproofing, so it was interesting. It was built with $115 million, in public and private funds. So public funds and symphonies have been connected in my head, since. But that wasn't accurate. Seattle symphony is funded by tickets and donations.

Oops. :oops:

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:28 am

@Riggerjack:

Don't feel bad. I very easily could have conjectured something similar in reference to sports stadiums. People who attend symphonies and baseball games tend to spend a good deal of money in other establishments when they venture downtown. In small towns, similar investments are made by business associations. For instance, the business association in the small town where I raised my children gathered funds to purchase a bubble machine for the apple pumpkin festival.

bryan

Post by bryan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 pm

@Smashter, so interesting because I think SF, specifically the mission area, is my favorite area I've ever lived/hung out in, so far. It's one of the reasons I'm so torn on being for/against rent control, zoning, etc.

I didn't talk in length with too many homeless folks during the period I was sleeping feet away from them (so take this with a grain of salt), but I think easy-to-use public/private/charitable services like toilets, showers, charging stations, mailing address, storage locker, etc. would improve everyone's condition _vastly_.

And of course there are the separate issue of mental illness, healthcare, etc. Lots of loonies, sick among the homeless around SF.
Smashter wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:21 am
Speaking of bicycle tires -- I was surprised to find that they are used in much the same way as cigarettes in a prison. They seemed to be the universal currency of the homeless. You could estimate how long a tent would stay in one place, presumably flush with drugs, by the pile of tires stacked next to their tent.
You were just seeing a chop shop (they are operated inside the tents). Bicycle tires are definitely not currencies among the homeless. You were probably seeing bike traffickers (logistics). Maybe you could consider them like aluminum cans (they have some redemption value at certain tents?)?

For whatever reason enforcement of this stuff has not been great. Might be slowly moving to effective citizen reporting -> immediate response (e.g. there is a 311 smartphone app to report stuff like double/illegal parking, submit photo evidence and details).
Smashter wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:21 am
It goes without saying that leaving your bike outside, no matter how well locked, was foolish.
Certainly there are major issues with bike theft (I've had one stolen while locked; suggestions to have a good lock and a cheap bike), but you see more bikes parked around here than most cities in the US. It's a bit much to say it's foolish to use a bike in a normal fashion: "Nobody Goes There Anymore, It’s Too Crowded"

Smashter

Post by Smashter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:57 pm

@Bryan thanks for correcting me on the tire issue. I definitely extrapolated a bit too far there.

On rereading, my post was too harsh. There is still a lot to love about SF. I lived in Noe Valley, so right above the Mission. I had some good times in both areas.

The homelessness just really got to me. On one of our final days, a woman, unprompted threw a heavy padlock at my wife. It barely missed her head and slammed into the bricks behind her. Just...wtf! I see homeless people in NY in LA, but nothing like that has ever happened in those places. To me, the problem is on a different level in SF.

And yeah, good point on the bikes. I'm sure no one wants to leave nice bikes out in any big city, and the place is bike friendly as a whole.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:37 am

Don't feel bad. I very easily could have conjectured something similar in reference to sports stadiums
An oddness of being me, I don't feel bad about being wrong, as soon as I correct it. So going back, establishing that taxes are not supporting symphonies, and correcting my model of the world; just makes my model more consistent with the world, which feels good. (Yes, I know I am the only one who operates like this. :? )

But an interesting point. At about the same time benaroya hall was getting built, we were building two new stadiums, using the new model. Have a referendum to support teams with taxes to build new stadiums, and when that fails; do it anyway by way of city politicians reminding people they have no will, no power, and no say in the matter.

Or maybe others felt better about being consulted, before being ignored, and overruled.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:46 am

Riggerjack wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:37 am
An oddness of being me, I don't feel bad about being wrong, as soon as I correct it.... and correcting my model of the world; just makes my model more consistent with the world, which feels good. (Yes, I know I am the only one who operates like this. :? )
You are not alone RJ. “A foolish consistency....”

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:27 am

Ditto. I think all reasonably mature rationals function in this manner. Better fishing pole or better map of fishing holes always welcomed.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:43 am

I am starting to believe that there really may be something new and disturbing at play with the populist movement in the U.S. Twice now in recent weeks, I have been verbally insulted or called out as a member of aspirational or intellectual class. Nothing like this has happened to me since being picked on for nerdiness way back in the 6th grade. On both occasions, the remarks were made on the basis of nothing except maybe observation of my appearance and/or diction/vocabulary. I was not engaged in anything remotely resembling political action or conversation. Both incidents took place in a very blue-collar inner ring suburb.

On the first occasion, an older man went off on a sort of bitter, sarcastic take along the lines of "I must be somebody who went to Harvard. La dee dah." On the second occasion, I was called a Princess by a female coworker because I was attempting to comply with hazmat policy at the garden center. I suppose that following hazmat policy while cleaning up spilled toxins could be stretched into supposition of "tree hugging liberal", but I don't believe that Princess label would be applied to, for instance, Riggerjack, under the same circumstances.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:03 am

I guess this is particularly disturbing to me, because I've almost always been the sort of person who floats around fairly freely from one lunch table to another. Also, I don't get how distracted slob with a very bad dye job signals "Princess."

ffj

Post by ffj » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:02 pm

@7

I wouldn't read too much into it. I too flitter between the blue collar and professional class and depending on what the group thinks you are they will make their remarks accordingly. For what it's worth, I've noticed a lot more negative comments directed at the working class from people who get to work in an office. Recently, I happened to be in a small group conversation with an attorney and a retired judge and they started to discuss the book "Hillbilly Effigy". Being that I am a reformed hillbilly I thought I might add my thoughts to the subject but you could instantly tell that the judge wasn't keen on somebody interrupting his interpretation even though the damn book could have been written about my family. It's a subtle case of classism.

She called you a princess because you were following the rules. You were probably the first one to ever read the MSDS sheet in that place.

Peanut

Post by Peanut » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:25 pm

I think she was calling you a princess because you were actually taking care to protect yourself. "Oh, so you need to ensure that the nasty toxic chemicals don't taint your precious skin? Princess." :?

I would think you project a general sense of cheeriness and people sadly resent that. Look disgruntled and they'll leave you alone.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:47 pm

@ffj@peanut:

I think both of your theories are likely correct, but I have no intention of altering my behavior. Science, good-humor, self-care, and words of more than two syllables shall remain evident in my values system and practice. Those who prefer to dwell in a world based on crude superstition, foul outlook, degradation of self and environment, and guttural outbursts are free to continue in their practices also, but my standard shall be to avoid such company to the best of my ability.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:10 pm

That’s why we love you 7WB5

ffj

Post by ffj » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:53 pm

@7

I once used the word "mortified" in a conversation and a dude got mad at me for being uppity. It's not your fault other people are stupid.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:14 pm

Mister Imperceptible wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:10 pm
That’s why we love you 7WB5
that and triglycerides

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Well, yeah, that too of course ;)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:05 pm

Thanks. I consider you gentlemen (and your sarcoplasm) to be "best company" also :)