Mae & FrugalPatat's Journey

Where are you and where are you going?
ertyu

Re: Mae & FrugalPatat's Journey

Post by ertyu »

i read that, i had high hopes for it, and then it completely missed me. it seemed to come down to, well come up with an idea and then trial-and-error it until you get to something -- which had me going, well gee thanks, trial and error, whoulda thunk, now can we have something that's actually useful? No? oh well then.

Looking forward to what you'll get out of it, maybe it'll be something i missed.

Mae

Post by Mae »

ertyu wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:20 am
i read that, i had high hopes for it, and then it completely missed me. it seemed to come down to, well come up with an idea and then trial-and-error it until you get to something -- which had me going, well gee thanks, trial and error, whoulda thunk, now can we have something that's actually useful? No? oh well then.

Looking forward to what you'll get out of it, maybe it'll be something i missed.
Oof, that doesn't sound very promising. I'll post my thoughts, even if I don't finish it. I admit that the way it is written already has me feeling a bit skeptical, but it is a rather short/quick read so we'll see once I get to the exercises, etc. I think wolf has also read it, but not sure how to tag people here or if it's even possible.

Mae

Post by Mae »

Hmm, I should probably also add that I am giving up all my volunteering and social media for some time after I leave my job. This is because:
a) My volunteering and social media accounts are tightly connected to the job I am leaving
c) I don't feel like my social media accounts have much added value (made to waste time scrolling through the feed, information overload, echo chamber, there are other ways to stay in touch with people)

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Congrats on quitting your job!
Mae wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:39 am
I welcome any personal anecdotes and insights :)
You're pretty young, so have the potential to do pretty much anything you want yet. I would try to determine if you just disliked your jobs because you didn't like the work, or disliked your jobs because you dislike the "salary(wo)man" lifestyle. Because the path forward is probably different.

I think the odds are, you're gonna want to do something productive with your life yet. So the key is to get to know what that may be and how you want to go about doing it. For me, this is being accomplished by allowing myself to settle into a lifestyle I enjoy. Basically doing whatever I want, when I want. After a period of decompression, I naturally began adding productive activities based on motivation and interest without compensation or ROI on time as a concern, because that was what I wanted to do. Although other recent "retirees" here have mentioned that's a bad idea for their personality because they tend to be people pleasers and "doing what they want" ends up being just pleasing others. So there may be some psychological issues to work on first.

Daily habits are key early on. Make sure you get outside, get exercise, eat healthy in whatever ways pleases you. If you hadn't before, make it the norm now that you have time and energy to ensure these happy human maintenance issues are habituated.

It's a journey, both exhilarating and frightening simultaneously. Endless possibilities, yet much uncertainty. Good luck!

Mae

Post by Mae »

Thank you, classical_Liberal! It was a difficult decision to quit this job for a plethora of reasons, but I had to do it to preserve some of my sanity I had left.

There are some things I can conclude from my 'career' so far. Let me put on my work-philosophical glasses :ugeek:
  • FrugalPatat's and my financial situation makes it possible to work 4 days a week which, in my opinion, is the ideal amount of time to dedicate to Work at this moment in my life. Full-time working leaves too little time to pursue personal interests outside of work, less than 4 days is too little to maintain a connection to work and stay on top of things. (I personally need that connection. It could be different for different jobs, though.)
  • In addition to the above, I strongly dislike having to sit behind a computer screen for most of my time. I get my best ideas during walks/physical activity and I hate that it is taken for granted that people sit behind a desk 8 hours+ a day. (Maybe this bullet point is more of a personal rant, eh.)
  • I really really really enjoy learning new things, being challenged, and being able to explore the broader context in which my work makes a difference. A good leader/boss/coach whom I respect and work culture (open, self-critical, trainings) is key in this. (The pros to having worked for different organisations in a short period of time.)
  • I like working on projects, because I tend to get bored of things fast. Projects allow for learning new things, working with new people/organisations in a partnership, and being self-critical/improving at the end of each project.
  • I don't really mind the particular field I am working in as long as the above reqs are fulfilled. However, a big plus is if it is something that adds value to the world, lessens suffering. I just want to make the world a little better if I can. I've worked in culture and social justice before. But I have self-limited my options by choosing an art history major (literature minor). I do not have a lot of hard skills or done anything STEM-related.
I could add more things to this list, but these are things that come to my mind first.

I feel like I'm a bit stuck now and, paradoxically, there are many possibilities, as you pointed out. But yes, self-care first and I'm sure I will figure something out.

Sabaka

Post by Sabaka »

Hi guys, hope you've been having a good 2020!

Have you considered charity work Mae? Honestly, from just reading your most recent post it seems like something that might fit those requirements? Or potentially retraining to do a more hands-on job that provides direct benefit to the community (teaching, nursing, etc)?

Also, I'd like to concur with Classical Liberal in saying that this is the perfect time to reset and consider what you want to do next. Of course there are endless opportunities, however very few people are ever entirely sure that their next step/job/partner/etc will be the right one. All we can do is make an educated guess and hope for the best :)

Wishing you luck on whatever path you decide to follow next!

Mae

Post by Mae »

Hiya Sabaka!!

I certainly feel drawn to help out the local community/ies, especially ones that suffer from covid the most. I also want to secure some sort of income for myself. So kind of hoping that after my leave and some work on my self, a couple things fall into place. I have a teacher's license but again ... for art history (related stuff) :|
Also, I'd like to concur with Classical Liberal in saying that this is the perfect time to reset and consider what you want to do next. Of course there are endless opportunities, however very few people are ever entirely sure that their next step/job/partner/etc will be the right one. All we can do is make an educated guess and hope for the best :)
Oh yeah, for sure, this job that cost me my mental health was the best educated guess at the time. In that sense, I don't regret it.

I mailed a local health care centre to help me out with the career path. Unlike all of the INTJs here, I cannot rationally think my way out of this problem. Ha.
Wishing you luck on whatever path you decide to follow next!
Thank you so much and no comment on the 2020 question :lol: I'm hopeful that things will be better going forward.