RFS' Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
jennypenny

Re: RFS' Journal

Post by jennypenny » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:24 pm

I'm sorry, too. You and your siblings are awfully young to have to deal with such a sudden tragedy.

RFS

Post by RFS » Tue May 01, 2018 6:57 pm

APRIL UPDATE
Net Worth: $10.2k
Expenses: $784
Savings Rate: 71% (81% If you include tax returns as income ;) )
Years Saved: 1.57
Avg. Month: $562.25
Avg. Year: $6,747.00

I spent $300 on a 2-year supply of contact lenses. Working out in glasses is a pain in the ass, and this luxury seemed worth the money. I looked into LASIK, but the thought of "adverse effects" is simply too damn terrifying for its consideration. Spending should be back to the $400-$500/mo levels now.

The local grocer installed a light near their dumpster, transforming a bountiful land of organic produce and fruit to somewhere I could get arrested at. They already made a sick ROI on that light, because it lead to me standing in the checkout line days later thinking "I can't believe I'm actually buying shit from here." $80 went to food this month.

I'm on a diet of eggs, sauteed sweet potatoes and kale, cheese, oatmeal, protein powder, and sometimes onions and avocados too if they're on sale. No bread or added sugar. Hot damn, people are not kidding when they say cutting out sugar makes them feel better! I don't have mid-day crashes anymore, and I'm much leaner.

In other news, it has been one month since my father's death. Focusing on the little things seems like the best way to stand tall and enable my family to find strength beside me. Daily discipline in exercising, keeping my room tidy, shaving, drinking enough water, reading, and going to bed/waking up at the same time are keeping me sane. I think that's applicable whether your father dies or not, though. One commonality in a lot of the books I've read this year, from Phil Jackson to Marcus Aurelius, is the power of the process. Great achievements are made up of little baby steps each day. You can control what you do each day, but not the outcome. The process gives you a sense of agency, no matter the situation.

BOOKS READ

The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
- The personal diary of the most powerful man on Earth, trying to be wiser, more humble, and ultimately bad-ass. Here's 2 bits I liked:

"Your actions and perceptions need to aim: at accomplishing practical ends - at the exercise of thought - at maintaining a confidence founded on understanding. An unobtrusive confidence—hidden in plain sight."

"That to be remembered is worthless. Like fame. Like everything. Indifference to external events. And a commitment to justice in your own acts. Which means: thought and action resulting in the commongood."

Average is Over, Tyler Cowen
- I was initially hesitant to read a book by an economist, because most of them don't think about energy. This is a great book, though. He argues that the economy of the next 20-30 years will look like freestyle chess matches. In these matches, people use computer programs to calculate the outcomes of potential moves. The humans can pick up on things the computers aren't advanced enough to see, though, so they determine what moves to actually make. There will be 2 groups: People who can work with intelligent machines, and those who won't learn how. The benefits will increasingly skew towards the former.

Tiny Beautiful Things, Cheryl Strayed
- I got this book from Ryan Holiday's reading list, where every recommendation has been a home run with me so far. I'll let him do the talking: "Cheryl Strayed, also the author of Wild (Amazon), was the anonymous columnist behind the online column, Dear Sugar and boy, are we better off for it. This is not a random smattering of advice. This book contains some of the most cogent insights on life, pain, loss, love, success, youth that I have ever seen."

The Miracle Morning, Hal Elrod
- Hell yeah.

The 10X Rule, Grant Cardone
- Redundant at times, but it wasn't bad. It's a trip inside the brain of one of the most hardworking humans to ever live. Grant Cardone struggled with going to rehab-levels of addiction and didn't get his life together until he was around 30. If you want to be at the top, you have to outwork everyone else and take massive amounts of action.

@jennypenny &edithkeeler- thank you!

Smashter

Post by Smashter » Fri May 11, 2018 4:48 pm

Since you seem to be devouring content and you liked that Tyler Cowen book, I recommend you check out his podcast, "Conversations with Tyler." He doesn't always ask the follow-up questions I wish he would ask, but he has a unique style, a very interesting mind, and he gets good guests.

Your discipline and toughness in the face of adversity is inspiring. Keep on keeping on. But one thing I gotta ask... shaving every day?? That seems awful. I had to do that for a job a while back and hated it. Maybe I just needed a more positive mindset?

RFS

Post by RFS » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:02 pm

MAY UPDATE
Years Saved: 1.9
Avg. Month Expenses: $530
Avg. Year Expenses: $6,452

Thoughts

1. Places
- I've been obsessing over where to move recently. As Johnny from Granola Shotgun would say, America has an archipelago of West Berlins ranging from the great lakes down to the southern midwest. There's a high demand for walkable communities with good urban fabric, and these places offer them at great prices. Cincinnati is emerging as a frontrunner in the search. It has some good things going for it:
- Projected population and job growth
- Diversified economy
- Good price-to-rent ratios
- 300k people [big enough that major corporations will come, but not too big]
- Nobody says "what a great choice!" [this marks the death of an emerging market]

2. Exercise & Nutrition
- I'm a little over 6 months into weightlifting and eating a diet consisting almost entirely of eggs, sweet potatoes, sardines, kale, cheese, and oatmeal. This diet has forced me to learn the importance of the spice game. Not only does it make your food delicious, but changing up the spices practically turns it into a different meal. I'm mainly using cayenne pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and an assortment of other peppers.

I just started with another exercise program, but I used Ice Cream Fitness to build a good base. Highly recommended. It was hard to bench and squat more than 135 lbs when I started, but I can do 225 and 375 lbs. now!

BOOKS READ

12 Rules for Life, Jordan Peterson
- An incredible book. For those who haven't read it, check out the overture. I think Jordan Peterson is one of the most important intellectuals in today's ravaged-by-postmodernism world.

The Power of Habit, Charles Duhigg
- See this MMM post.

Mastery, Robert Greene
- An incredibly well-written exploration of what makes people like Leonardo Da Vinci, Darwin, Freddie Roach, Mozart, and other badasses achieve mastery in their field.

War, Sebastian Junger
- I thought Restrepo, the documentary about a US platoon stationed in Afghanistan's mega-dangerous Korrengal valley, was fascinating. So I read the book. Which is also great.

Tribe, Sebastian Junger
- A nice reminder that modern society, for all its caveats, is deeply fucked up.

The Big Short, Michael Lewis
- Scion Capital is born after Joel Greenblatt reads a medical student's investing blog and loans him $100m to start a hedge fund. Michael Burry, the student turned manager, sees in 2003 that multitudes of AAA-rated mortgage bonds are, in fact, comprised mainly of adjustable-rate loans given to people with rock-bottom FICO scores. He gets Wall Street banks to create products that allow him to short the bonds. 2 other fund managers saw what was happening and bet against the housing bubble, too. The story explains the 2008 crash through the lens of these investors.

I was in middle school when the 2008 crisis hit, and I vividly remember the general feeling of misery and swaths of abandoned sub divisions, but it blew my mind to see just how criminal the whole thing was.

@Smashter - Thank you for the recommendation and the words, sir. I appreciate that, and I'll definitely check it out. As for the shaving, I heard on the Russian-Chechen war Jocko Podcast that the Russian brigades began their descent into chaos when they stopped shaving [according to one of the Russian commanders.] It's a nice daily discipline to get your day going. Although Jules Verne's legendary beard has inspired me to try my hand at beard-growing, so I am no longer shaving :P
Last edited by RFS on Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:29 pm

I think Cincinnati would be a great choice (I ended up buying a house in the Pittsburgh metro).

Will PM you a book recommendation.

RFS

Post by RFS » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:53 pm

NOVEMBER UPDATE

Net worth: $31k (I got a $10k inheritance)
Avg. monthly spend: $676
Years saved: 3.86

I read Set for Life and Shop Class As Soulcraft recently, which got me me thinking about optimizing my journey to FI.

For those of you who don't know these books, Set for Life is for someone no assets who wants financial freedom in 5-10 years. It's by Scott Trench, a true FI badass. He started working as a financial analyst after graduation, and he wound up getting an operations/sales position at BiggerPockets. He tripled his income and essentially house hacked his way to FI. I think he has 8 units that net him $3.2k/mo. You can read all about his investment philosophy and portfolio numbers here. SFL covers 3 stages:

1. Save 1 year of expenses.
2. House hack and scale income.
- If your goal is early financial freedom, staying in the job with a promotion every 2 years becomes the bigger risk than taking advantage of an opportunity that could scale your income. Often, the price of opportunities like this is lower base pay. This could be entrepreneurship, joining a startup, something like that.
3. Asset generation
- Here, you just build on your investments until you're at FI.

I already had a plan like this for stage 2, but the book inspired me to consider synergizing this step with real estate investing. Then I read Shop Class as Soulcraft and Jered Sturm's article about how a shortage of skilled trade workers will affect the economy.

This got me thinking: What if I went for a trade? It could be synergistic with real estate investing, away from the odd psychic landscape of white collar work, and I could leverage it to cover my expenses when I reach FI.

Some ideas floating around:

1. Find a good residential contractor and work for low pay as a remodel apprentice. Learn the trade, then build my own business.
- In America, this is a largely unregulated field. If you took a poll, I bet many Americans have either been screwed by a contractor, know someone who was screwed by a contractor, consider finding a contractor that won't screw them to be very difficult, or all of the above. If you did good business, I think you could get going rather quickly.
2. Plumber or electrician apprenticeship.
- I'm not sure about this. It would take about 5 years, and the pay is low starting off. Although, maybe I'm not thinking long-term enough.
3. Work at a real-estate related startup, become a real estate agent, or do something in sales.
- I have a good bit of career capital in sales already. Although it was weird communicating with people solely through phone/email, and not in-person. I think that kind of sucks the soul out of you. This would have to incorporate leaving an office and not staring at a screen all day.

OTHER BOOKS READ:
Why We Sleep, Matthew Walker.
- The most mind-blowing health book I have ever read. He did a great podcast with Joe Rogan.
When Breath Becomes Air, Paul Kalanithi
The Primal Connection, Mark Sisson
Grit, Angela Duckworth
Flash Boys, Michael Lewis
The Blind Side, Michael Lewis (I am just enamored by how ridiculously good his writing is.)
Retire Early With Real Estate, Chad Carson
#AskGaryVee, Gary Vaynerchuk.
- I knew little about Gary V prior to reading this book, and I was worried about wasting my time with a book that had a hashtag in the title. However, this man's knowledge of the modern economy and the future marketing is incredible. A lot of the book is about the importance of becoming a media company, which I had not thought about before.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:03 pm

Mike (Lacking Ambition) executed your idea. He was a lineman who retired after he bought a few properties. Linemen can make six figures with all the overtime they put in. Did you decide on a city?