Quitting Alcohol Pros and Cons

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
NPV

Re: Quitting Alcohol Pros and Cons

Post by NPV » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:40 pm

An interesting big meta study on the subject: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lance ... X/fulltext

Bottom line: drinking is really bad for you. Shocker, right?

herp

Post by herp » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:46 pm

BlueNote wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:16 am
The problem with "social" drinking for me is the other people. They'll tend push you to drink more if you're not keeping up, it's hard to resist. It's hard to go to a party or bar where everyone is drinking like crazy and you just have one or two because at some point you'll feel like you're an intruder in their drunken bubble. Occupying the left or right tails of the drinking frequency curve at a social gathering often leads to not getting invited again. I will have a social drink or two on occasions where I know the other people aren't going to be getting blitzed.
This sums up my own feelings towards drinking very well, except that I generally tend to stand my ground and not keep up, which usually leads to dull situations where everyone appears to be getting increasingly hammered while you stay moderately buzzed.

I've never been a heavy drinker. For most of my adult years, in any given year you could count the number of times that I was drunk on one hand. I think the longest amount of time that I went without having a drink was a couple of months about five years ago, but that was purely due to working on losing weight and not really given any other significant health concerns.

At the end of the day, I do enjoy getting a light to moderate buzz in social situations as it greatly helps me relieve tension and anxiety. It just seems that whenever alcohol is involved in a social situation, it turns into heavy binge drinking which I don't find enjoyable.

Smashter

Post by Smashter » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:18 pm

I wasn't having problems or anything, but I decided to do a break from drinking as a way to encourage my little sister, who is an alcoholic. She's high functioning and only 24 and holds down a great job, but she also drove while blackout drunk and hit a car head on. She had an absurdly high BAC and doesn't remember any of it. :shock:

I thought that would be here come to Jesus moment and she'd quit drinking, but she didn't. I honestly think part of the issue is that drunk driving laws in Missouri are so lax. Miraculously no one got hurt, and she only got slapped with a misdemeanor. I think if she faced a massive fine or jail time that would have shaken her up a bit more.

Anyway, she likes Joe Rogan, who does a 'sober October' every year. We agreed to do that together. She broke in the final week, but I've kept going.

I feel better about myself when I'm doing something that other people see as challenging or inspirational. When I tell people I'm not drinking, they are generally impressed.

I also find myself thinking about how if I had just one friend who quit drinking and make it their "thing" I'd be super impressed and wish that I had done it first.

I went to a wedding recently and saw an old friend I hadn't seen in forever, and he also was taking a break from drinking. We bonded over it, and that strengthened my resolved to keep going.

Another interesting thing I realized is that alcoholism/substance abuse problems run deeper in my family than I realized. I don't know why I'd never thought about it, but the other day I tried to catalogue it all:
- Mom is an alcoholic
- Sister is an alcoholic
- Aunt was an alcoholic but I think has been pulling out of it
- Grandpa on my dad's side was apparently a big time partier for most of his life, not sure if technically alcoholic or not but wouldn't be surprised
- Grandpa on mom's side got injured on the job and became way addicted to morphine / demerol
- Brother had deep alcohol / marijuana issues a few years back that threatened his entire career, thankfully pulled himself out of it
- I suspect an uncle has a drinking issue. He also takes lithium for bi-polar
- I have always been a "drink to get drunk" type who doesn't stop once he gets going

All that makes me want to just quit. I've always done better when I go all-in on something. If I say I'm stopping altogether, that takes the decision energy out of the equation. It's just done. I don't have to do some of the mental rigamarole I tend to do when I have taken breaks in the past:

"but I have such good conversations with my friends when I'm drunk, isn't that bonding worth it?"

or

"I just read a study that says a glass of beer is healthy. And we've been drinking it for thousands of years and are mostly doing fine! Fermented beverages are good for the gut microbiota! I'll just drink in moderation!'

I like the idea of just saying I'm done, and that's it. No over thinking it. We'll see how it goes.

Sclass

Post by Sclass » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:08 am

I’ve recently noticed how common alcohol use is around my town.

We have a big section at every store. I hear the clink of bottles at the register and observe the manner of the people loading them into their bags. It reminds me of buying condoms in college. Whether it’s the senior citizen or the soccer mom they try to hide the contraband with the food on the conveyor.

Not judging, just observing that a lot of people are consuming this powerful drug. Nobody really talks about it much but a lot of people drink a lot of alcohol. Around my parts marijuana is the big topic of conversation.

For the last few years I’m down to one drink a quarter. I go to a quarterly meeting with an open bar. I have one beer. The other people there have two to three drinks. I cannot help it notice them get up and go to the bar multiple times. Older folks.

I guess all regular habits have a way of slowly catching up with you.

I save money by not keeping any alcohol in the house. No drunk friends in my house. Fewer bottles to recycle to clink on recycling day (if that doesn’t out the neighborhood drunk what does?).

I’m missing out for sure.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:31 am

I have actually attempted to adopt the habit of drinking in order to break free from the habit of sugary treats on a couple occasions with no success. Sugar and coffee makes me happy. Alcohol takes me almost instantly to groggy headache more than 50% of the time. Humans are weird.

slsdly

Post by slsdly » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:33 pm

I've largely given it up in the last year, although I was not much of a drinker in the last 5 years anyways. Tendency to binge at house parties when I was younger, which I don't miss at all. I don't think there are any cons -- save money, health, time, fridge space. I do need to deal with pressure from friends "Oh I can't have a drink unless you have one too"; I tell myself that is their problem since I'm not bothered if they have one. You can always take it back up when TEOTWAWKI happens.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:23 pm

Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life.

George Bernard Shaw

Salathor

Post by Salathor » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:44 am

I haven't been a "drink to get drunk" drinker since before I was 21. For the last ten years or so I've been a 1-2 drinks a day, always more than an hour or two apart, style drinker--I don't even like to get buzzed, but I love the taste of liquor (bourbon and gin for me).

I had to quit drinking alcohol and coffee about two months ago for acid reflux issues. I am definitely never going back to coffee, but I had a whiskey the other night (first in two months) and man was it good. I have no problem giving up the caffeine because it was just a chemical thing, but the hard part of giving up alcohol is that I'm pretty sure it's the most interesting consumable mankind has invented.

EDIT: Even though I didn't drink to get inebriated, I have noticed that even 1-2 drinks a day of moderate consumption really ruined my digestion. My stomach has felt many times better since I quit drinking. I'm also sleeping better--but that's probably the coffee.