Seppia's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Seppia

Re: Seppia's journal

Post by Seppia »

Been in Miami for now a little over 7 months.
We are extremely pleased with the location we picked for our apartment.
We usually look for the cheap ones in great (hence expensive) locations: we are walking distance from a beautiful park, from a Publix, close enough to my workplace that I can walk there in the winter.
It's a 2br 1200sqf that costs about 25-30% less than the other 2br in the area (that are usually much bigger, around 1800-2000sqf).

To me, 1200sqf for a 2br is already massive.

DW and son are already back in Italy for the summer, I miss them very very much but luckily will be there in a little over a week and stay for close to a month.

Work is doing ok, clearly the toughest assignment I've had in my life. The business is very profitable but expectations are high and there are headwinds to growth as prior management REALLY messed up and we have many issues to fix. Will get there eventually, but I'm working like a dog.

We jumped on the opportunity to buy a small (650sqf) 2br on lake Como. It is located about 25 mins from the city, in a condo with swimming pool and access to the lake. One can easily get there by boat (public transport) as the town it's in is one of the main ones on the eastern coast of the Como branch, so all boats stop there.
I know this condo very well as we had looked at a couple apartments a few years ago. Most apartments tend to be underpriced when they sell as they aren't a great fit for the two types of people who are usually looking to buy:

Type1: the locals who actually live on lake Como. These apartments don't work for them as there are a lot of unnecessary expenses (there is a live-in doorman, there is a pool). The $$$ amount is not huge in absolute value (we will pay $2000/y in HOA fees + heating) but it is higher than the standard 'local" apartment (usually $500-1000 at most).

Type2: the foreigner looking to buy on lake Como. Also doesn't work for them as most foreigners looking to buy on lake Como are the multi-millionaire types (Americans being the biggest %) that want either a Villa, or a bigger and more luxurious apartment (think $1M and up).

another great feature is that it was remodeled a few years ago, and the sellers will leave all the furniture for free (and it's pretty good quality).
Including all closing costs we will end up paying circa $155k.

Short term we will go there during the summer as the lake is beautiful (it's famous for a reason).
We will make it available to our families during the off season (one of my two sisters in particular love the lake during the winter) in exchange for them paying some minor costs (ie wifi or electricity bills).
The plan is to use it as a rental when we aren't there and the fam isn't using it.
During the high season of July and August we should be able to easily bank $150 per day (so 100-120 net of tax), the expectation is that rental income should at a very minimum cover all costs, taxes and upkeep.

Long term this could become our summer/weekend home, or be a source of some side income should SHTF (the lake keeps getting more and more expensive).

Some pics:

chenda

Post by chenda »

That looks marvellous Seppia, and a great price. I believe you already own another property in northern Italy ?

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

yes we do, a small place up the mountain 10 min from Como. This new one is 25 mins from Como going up the lake (or 50 min with the public transport by boat which is an experience onto itself).
The fun thing is that the two apartments combined are still less (both in terms of price and size) than the median house in the USA

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

how wonderful

congratulations!

Ego

Post by Ego »

Beautiful view! It looks like a nice comfortable place. Congratulations.
Seppia wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:22 pm
Type2: the foreigner looking to buy on lake Como. Also doesn't work for them as most foreigners looking to buy on lake Como are the multi-millionaire types (Americans being the biggest %) that want either a Villa, or a bigger and more luxurious apartment (think $1M and up).
Funny coincidence. During Covid I was helping the friend of friends through the citizenship process. When she discovered the waiting time at the LA consulate (many years) she decided it would be better to buy a place on Lake Como and apply from Italy where she could hire a lawyer to speed things along. Her friends told me she spent more than €1M on an incredible home and was living there in the summers. I didn't ask many questions because I knew nearly nothing about the area. Your post and the coincidence prompted me to learn more. We are having a dinner party tomorrow evening and the friends are coming. It will be an interesting conversation.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Congrats, what a view!

If you need someone to test it out as a rental, you let me know ;)

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Thanks all for the kind words.

@Ego if you or your friends ever need any insight or info let me know.
@Ego @2b1s the flat will be available at a very ERE-friendly price for select forum users should you ever want to visit the area ;)

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Wow, what a spot! Very nice!

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it, but one of my aunts lives in Cuveglio. Mrs. Animal and I are planning on visiting at some point and we would love to swing by to meet up if you and family were around.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Very kind offer @Seppia. Thank you!

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Hey @Seppia, the flat is looking really good!

To other forumites - a year ago I have taken @Seppia's advice to go to explore lake Como and surroundings with DW. Hiked the nearby mountains, took the public transport ferry across the lake, visited some of the towns. It's brilliant, also very easy to get there as there is a direct bus (not that very much advertised) from Bergamo (it has an airport hosting cheap flights) to Como. The line is C46.

I always feel nostalgic thinking of Italy. At one point at Uni when I was considering where to do my Erasmus exchange, I thought it would be Italy and generally then I would set Italy to be my home away from home. Eventually settled on going to Turkey, but still managed to get one semester of Italian language classes under my belt.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Seppia wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:22 pm
... Some pics: ...
That's really nice, much less rustic than my similar-sized hideout, and cheaper than what I'd have to pay for this place now.

It's also not far from where my Italian ancestors immigrated from (maybe we talked about that).

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

@theanimal Cuveglio is an hour away from my place. If we coincide in Italy we will make it happen!

@guitarplayer I remember you PM'dme saying you enjoyed the trip. That's great. The lakes area in Italy used to be one of its best kept secrets.
Even today, despite Lake Como emerging as an ultra-high end tourist destination, there are still many things that people don't know about that are absolutely stunning. Google Dorsale del Triangolo lariano or use the translate function on this site https://www.comoeilsuolago.it/dorsaletr ... ariano.htm

@IlliniDave yes we did discuss about your Italian ancestors. I'm sure an outdoorsy person like you would love it here. Maybe there's a "discover your heritage" trip in your future ;)

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Congrats on the purchase of the lake condo! those views are impressive.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Seppia wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:42 pm
We will move there sometime this summer, so wanted to see who’s there and potentially ask for help (in the form of suggestions) if that is ok :)
What!? Certainly a good time to leave Miami, but your time there was shorter than expected, no? What happened?

I am being nosey. Just ignore if you are not ready to let us know. Your work trajectory has allowed you to live in some incredible places.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Ok here we go, almost 8 months since my last update... Time really flies.

After (only) a little over a year and a half in Miami, we will be relocating back to Europe, in/around Amsterdam.
This happens a bit sooner than we would have ideally liked, but I got a job opportunity I really could not refuse.

Thinking in net terms, I will go a bit backwards, but I make more than enough already and I expect expenses to be lower.
It is a tier-2 global head position at the HQ of a major player in my area of competence, and the key business areas are all places I enjoy being in (USA, France, Sweden, Japan and Italy being my “favorites”).
Job-wise, this is probably one of the best I could have asked for.

Seen that we are relatively well on our way to FIRE, we would not make the move if we weren’t optimistic about our quality of life there.
It is going to be an adjustment in terms of weather, but other than that Amsterdam is a beautiful city, a cool international hub with plenty of museums and a dynamic expat scene that is known for good quality of life.
Grandparents and most of our friends are less than 2h flight and a short drive/ride away in Italy, Sweden, France and UK. The biggest notable exception is one of my best friends in Tokyo (see above list of focus territories for me :) ).

Looking back, Miami has been great to us.
The city is vibrant and culturally active enough that we did not feel deprived, and the weather+beaches combo is hard to beat when you have a young kid.
The little one has literally lived outside, either going to the park or to the beach almost every single day. Air quality is great, food is great (all whole foods are cheaper in my home country of Italy, but cannot complain about the general quality).

I am super happy that my son has been exposed to many languages.
His primary language is now English; when he speaks to us in Italian he frequently inserts random English words, while the opposite happens a lot less.
He also speaks a few words in Spanish and it’s adorable :)

On the costs side, life here has been incredibly expensive: all in all, I spent more per year than in Hong Kong!
Housing in Miami is cheaper (about half price) but everything else is not.
The real killers are
1/ really hard to go without a car (useless in HK).
2/ health insurance is only partially covered by the employer (never the case in europe and elsewhere I have been) and it costs a TON to cover a family.
3/ (pet peeve more than a killer) phone plans of high quality* are around 3x more expensive than anywhere else in the world. $18/month gives you unlimited everything with the best operator in Italy. In HK the equivalent was $35. Here I spend $140 for two lines with Verizon and I have negotiated it down quite a bit.

Reflecting back on this experience, the first thing that comes to mind is how incredibly lucky we are.
My work keeps bringing us to new, always interesting places.
It is similar to some of the FIREd people who slow travel, with a couple tradeoffs: I give up free time and energy, and in exchange we get to experience the different countries from a very privileged perspective, while still working towards our FIRE/ERE goals.
At 43, both my wife and I still seem to have that adventurer spirit and are all-in on the lifestyle.
I am very grateful for that.

*I need it for work, now that I’m moving I swapped to the $3/mo ultra mobile plan
Last edited by Seppia on Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Nice one! Excelling at the lifestyle that's for sure. I wonder if you actively seek out good opportunities or they are offered to you?

Many many years ago I was doing market research for major FMCG companies and now when I occasionally see people I worked with on social media I see the pattern of international working / slow travel. Also in that company where I worked - I am sure had I stayed I would have moved around a few times. For any EREites who are in the accumulation phase - just so you know!

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

guitarplayer wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:20 pm
I wonder if you actively seek out good opportunities or they are offered to you?
*cut*
For any EREites who are in the accumulation phase - just so you know!
I usually get contacted by recruiters. This is the first job where I managed to get among the candidates thanks to a connection who referred me.

Based on my experience, one of the keys to being able to shape a corporate career to your liking is the first job.
Get into a big company in a field you think you may like/has the attributes that matter to you*, then work there long/hard/good enough to get a promotion within a reasonably short timeframe.

After that, recruiters will regularly start calling. At that point the only thing one has to do is tell them what your goals are.
The good ones who like you will remember, the good ones who don't like you will never put you forward, and the bad ones you don't need to work with.
Keep being "above average" throughout your career and the cycle will keep repeating itself.

Something that has really paid off for me: always take the interview if offered to you, unless you know 100% for sure you will never take the job under any circumstance.
Give your best.
If the company likes you, you may get offered a second, more attractive job some random time after you have refused (happened once)
Plus (again regardless if you take the job or not) you will score points with the recruiter, who will be more likely to remember you.

*F&B appealed to me because it suffers less from the economic/market cycles, it is (usually) less involved in shady/immoral stuff that do not align with my values and is generally stable. The downside is that it pays a lot less than other fields (I have a rather good position in a multi billion dollar company and probably make less than most 26yo working at Google), but in my case, past twice the median salary of the general area I live in, the utility of money quickly approaches zero.

NewBlood

Post by NewBlood »

Congrats Seppia!
Welcome back to the EU! I also love being within a couple of hours of family and friends, it makes it a lot easier to be there for big milestones.
Amsterdam sounds pretty awesome.