LoriMeyer's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
wolf

Re: LoriMeyer's journal

Post by wolf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:31 am

LoriMeyers wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:21 pm
Debt/Expense Ratios:
Feb 2018 71% / 29%!! An all time record that I fear I may never repeat.
Mar 2018 54% / 46%
Apr 2018 49% / 51% This is the month I ended up with some unexpected costs
May 2018 62% / 38%

Just realized I haven't done June yet. I expect it to be good, though, I haven't bought anything except gas and groceries. Oh, and this bottle of whiskey.

I guess that's all for now. I'm going to try and be better about writing this down. It's hard not having anyone to talk to about these things in my head, but if anyone gets it, you do. So thanks for that.
Hey LoriMeyers, keep up the good work! It is alway a bit difficult in the beginning. But once you established your momentum, it will get easier.
Can't you talk about "these things" with your DH?

LoriMeyers

Post by LoriMeyers » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:32 pm

@wolf

Thanks! And yes, yes I do talk to DH about these things, probably way more than he wants to hear about. I just meant most people look at me like I'm crazy when I mention I want to live off of 25% of my income. So it's nice to write about the things I'm thinking of, and not get instant backlash and negativity about how impossible it is. But my freedom is all I can think about it, and most of the time I'm surrounded by people who just don't get it, or want to hear about it. Thanks for your concern, though, that's exactly the kind of thing I was saying thanks for when I wrote that. :)

wolf

Post by wolf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:57 pm

LoriMeyers wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:32 pm
But my freedom is all I can think about it, and most of the time I'm surrounded by people who just don't get it, or want to hear about it.
I have experienced similar reactions when I talked about freedom, independency, self-reliance, etc. A few people liked to talk about it, many didn't. The discussion is/was about personal values. I guess that some (many?) people don't try to think about those personal values for themselves. I guess, that not everybody is so aware of them. In addition to that, people have very different personality traits and types. Some like security, inner/external things, freedom, stability, etc. That also leads to difficult discussions.

Another aspect, I find very important, is "talking about money". I almost can't separate talks about freedom from money. So, talking about freedom, especially FIRE/ERE leads automatically to money somehow. Luckily I found that out early. So, nowadays I try to avoid discussing money issues, like income, wealth, net worth, 4%-rule, FIRE/ERE things, etc.. with people, who I don't trust 100%. I don't know if you have also experienced such things? In a good or bad way? Or have thought about it?

If you like to know more about "stealth wealth", I can recommend you the following blog post from FinancialSamurai: The Rise Of Stealth Wealth: Ways To Stay Invisible From Society If You Have Money