What I Spend

Where are you and where are you going?
zbigi

Re: What I Spend

Post by zbigi »

take2 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:58 am
I think mechanical dryers are one of those things you get used to using and start thinking are standard until you go without one. They are much less common in U.K./EU, to the point where it’s a bit strange if you have one at all. When I first moved across the pond it took some getting used to but I wouldn’t go back even if I moved back stateside. It’s cheaper and better to line dry (clothes last longer).
The washer/dryer combos are now slowly becoming popular in Poland, whilst just 5 years ago, I didn't know anyone who had a dryer. BTW out of a few cases when I used dryers in my life, one time it considerably shark my clothes. Just the risk of that makes me think they're not really worth it...

MBBboy

Post by MBBboy »

Agree on the drying rack. We bought one maybe 6 years ago as a way to hang dry nicer things (was cutting out going to dry cleaners). Over time, sort of became a "if I have to hang one thing, might as well hang everything that fits" situation, to the point that I'm now considering getting a second one. I don't really remember life before the drying rack, but the number of button downs / polos / dresses we're replaced since like 2014 rounds to zero.

white belt

Post by white belt »

Stupid question, but how do you guys keep your clothes from getting stiff after drying on a rack? I've heard that using vinegar as a fabric softener when washing can work, but I've only tried it a few times and I'm not sure it made much of a difference.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

white belt wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:44 am
Stupid question, but how do you guys keep your clothes from getting stiff after drying on a rack?
My clothes never get stiff. I think it means you're using too much detergent and there's residue left over in the fabric. So first thing to try is reduce amount of detergent, until you find the right balance of clean enough but no rigor mortis. Maybe the kind of detergent matters as well. You using good hippie stuff or no?

white belt

Post by white belt »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:49 am
My clothes never get stiff. I think it means you're using too much detergent and there's residue left over in the fabric. So first thing to try is reduce amount of detergent, until you find the right balance of clean enough but no rigor mortis. Maybe the kind of detergent matters as well. You using good hippie stuff or no?
I'll experiment with using less detergent, but I already use very little. For a time I was using the classic ERE laundry powder recipe, but in my current living situation we split the costs of basics like toilet paper, paper towels, detergent, etc between roommates so I'm just using the typical consumer stuff. I wonder if humidity and/or water hardness is a factor?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

white belt wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:00 am
I'll experiment with using less detergent, but I already use very little.
If your water is hard this would be counterproductive. However, you could add vinegar to the rinse cycle. Or you could line dry outside in the wind. Alternatively, wear the clothes for 30 seconds :mrgreen:

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I appreciate the discussion on what I'm heading into. My wife talked me out of starting the no-dryer experiment by buying a drying rack.

This morning I cleared out half the hanging space in my walk in closet. Turns out since I don't have many clothes, I was using it for hanging storage - backpacks, vacuum cleaner attachments,old swimsuits, unused hangers, etc. Same with the wire shelf on top.

Since my laundry consists primarily of t-shirts and underwear, it's possible this will be enough. Hanging clothes might have enough space to dry in place.

I also figured out an option to hang a long aluminum rod in the basement, for when I need to dry my blanket. Worst case, I can use that for the extra deep king size sheet. I'm going to try using the shower door first. The sheet is very thin microfiber and washed frequently. I only have one sheet, so I'll need to start the day washing it, or have a damp bed at night.

The change exposes overhead from my prior, more affluent lifestyle. Today, I'd buy a full or queen size mattress. The bedding would be much smaller and easier to dry. The closet is far oversized relative to my needs. So I used it to store problems, instead of dealing with my excess.

A few years ago, we considered finding a smaller home. Doing so would have forced issues like these. Moving isn't on the table, but acting as if might expose more accumulated overhead.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

It's been a good week of working for myself, instead of performing tricks for someone else's money:

I recently started a new training cycle, focused on increasing my v02 max. For the first time in a long while, I've broken out my heart rate monitor. It's interesting to see what does and does not get the job done. Also of note - my fitbit charge 2 absolutely sucks at tracking high heart rates. Totally unreliable.

One of the more disappointing activities - walking with my weight vest. When I hustle my absolute fastest, I barely break 125bpm. My weak feet and tender knees just won't go any harder. My heart rate monitor ranks 125bpm at the very bottom of zone 3. While I am pushing physical limits, this training probably won't touch my v02 max. Prior to the immediate feedback of the HR monitor, I was strolling in Zone 2.

On the other hand - moving the sled around quickly shoots me into 150-160bpm+. That's well into zone 4, occasionally skimming the bottom of zone 5. This is right in the sweet spot for chasing my v02 max, but also prone to over-extending my recovery capacity. I loosely understand there is need for a broader base of work in zone 3.

I've also had luck getting into high zone 4 with a variety of crossfit style lifting circuits. The slam ball is brutal.

I am going to learn about zone based heart rate training. I'll monitor what my body is doing while lifting. I'll also break out the HR monitor on some gym equipment - the rowing machine, an elliptical. I think there's space here to program around cardio zones, similar to how volume and intensity are waved in a lifting program. I bet deliberate programming against quantitative feedback will give better progress.

Given my oral health concerns, over the past week I read 3 related e-books:

Teeth: Mary Otto - The historical evolution of modern dental care in the US. The impact of lacking dental care in poor communities and attempts to resolve it.

Your Cavity Free Life: Zachary Tilden - A broad overview of modern dentistry by young dentist.

The Headache Free Wonders of Functional Orthodontics: Terrance J. Spahl - A consumer level overview of orthodontics, with an emphasis on TMJ dysfunction and migraines

Probably not the finest literature, since I stuck with my library's available e-books. Still, I wish I'd taken the time for this learning 20 years ago. I underestimated the importance of oral healthcare. While that's changed over the last year, I could have saved myself a lot of problems with better education. Reading about the why motivates me to afford professional care and comply with preventive guidelines.

The orthodontics book made me much more hesitant towards using Invisalign, to twist my teeth into cosmetic shape. The author does a good job explaining how jaw position impacts the airway and jaw joint (TMJ). He ties this back to issues with sleep and headaches. He also explains how doctors can examine the TMJ and ariway via imaging, to better evaluate the impact of jaw position. I imagine part of the reason a surgery workup costs $1000 is this sort of analysis.

Sometimes I choke when I eat. Sometimes I get migraines. Sometimes I sleep all night, but my fitbit shows no deep sleep, and I wake up tired. Maybe all those one-off problems tie back to a singular root cause. Maybe together, there is enough to make a TMJ/apnea related case for insurance approval. It's a lot to think about.

My previously lacking oral healthcare is reflected in my parent's lifestyle. I sure would like to drag them along. Not an easy thing to do.

Earlier in the month, I saw an orthopedic surgeon about my wonky knee and shoulder. He requested an MRI for both. I learned insurance requires a freestanding imaging facility and made the appointments, which triggered the insurance pre-auth process. Both were denied. IMO - it was denial by default. The reasons were almost identical. I followed up with the imaging facility and doctor, who did the appeal, and got them approved.

Making time for this would have been tremendously annoying while working. It was still a minor nuisance, but highly manageable.

The dentist hit us with another unexpected bill. This time $88. Due to the prior back and forth, I had a direct email for the billing coordinator. A couple short emails made my problem go away. I am glad I was kind to her, even when I was pissed off.

Foster kittens have arrived. I "helped' bathe them last night. My part mostly consisted of keeping them warm, while my wife washed 7 cats and picked off any fleas. Taking time like this felt stressful back when I was working. Last night, I could slow down and enjoy the good parts.

What's not lost on me - many of these instances of working for myself, relate to obtaining healthcare in the US. My prior employer was great at making such endeavors easy. I failed to take advantage when working, because I was too busy. I did not appreciate how fantastic the benefits were. While I strongly prefer my current lifestyle, life as an employee offered more than money.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

Scott 2 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:59 pm
What's not lost on me - many of these instances of working for myself, relate to obtaining healthcare in the US. My prior employer was great at making such endeavors easy. I failed to take advantage when working, because I was too busy. I did not appreciate how fantastic the benefits were. While I strongly prefer my current lifestyle, life as an employee offered more than money.
Isn't that ERE in general? In a well-paid position with bennies, you give most of your life energy to the job, and the job takes care of most of your needs (either via bennies or by giving you a lot of money, with which you can pay for having your needs fulfilled). With ERE, the needs don't disappear and your job is now to find and execute low-cost ways of satisfying them. It's basically a trade-off, but hopefully a positive one.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The medical care differs, in that fighting insurer and provider bureaucracy is unpleasant, offering no tangible reward or personal growth. Short of opting out of care, there's not a way to manage it more efficiently. The system is setup with group insurance as first priority. An employer with well run benefits does a dramatically better job of minimizing the problem. In hindsight, I would have taken more advantage prior to stopping work.

I say this as someone who budgeted $6k for my annual personal care. Over the next few years, I am throwing money well beyond an ERE spend at the problem. My hope - there is a finite backlog of deferred care. Once I work through it, my medical needs slow to a trickle, but I am also an active beneficiary of modern medicine. Starting FIRE at this point would have been much smarter. Navigating to that state on an ERE budget would be awful.

Other aspects of life, a wise approach can minimize both time and monetary expense. Skill development gives a superior result, often one not available from money. I'm not finding that with healthcare.

Although - FIRE has allowed improvement of my health related lifestyle factors. Work was directly impairing those. That's probably the best analogue.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Do you have access to any hills or steep undulating terrain nearby? I've found that I'm able to get into higher heart rate ranges with weighted vest and packs when going up steeper hills.

Re dental stuff. There is a doctor who's name and work I can't seem to find now that strongly advocates that youth chew hard things to properly develop the jawline and the surrounding muscles. I learned of his work from a blurb within the book A Hunter-Gatherer's Guide to the 21st Century. He claims that the tendency of those in western countries (most notably the US) to feed young very soft foods results in underdeveloped jaw muscles which result in under formed jaws after development and later in life and are the main reason for jaw deformities and the subsequent need of various rounds of work from orthodontists. There are other side effects like impacting the airways, as you mention, that can negatively impact one's respiratory system (outlined further in James Nestor's book Breath). Some people use the silicone "jaw exercisers" to strengthen their muscles. I've never used them and can't speak to their efficacy.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

theanimal wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:39 pm
Do you have access to any hills or steep undulating terrain nearby?
I walked to my nearest incline and gave it a try. No luck. I found myself in the 118bpm range most of the time, barely touching 125bpm on the incline. I think I'd need to get in my car and find a sledding hill to get an effect. Something steep enough to begin approximating a staircase. I'll post more in the v02 max thread.

I came across the link between diet and jaw development in James Nestor's book Breath. That lead me to the concept of mewing, which is claimed to improve facial health and appearance:

https://mewingtransformation.com/what-is-mewing/

The reading I did, left me without motivation to try it. From what I understand, my bones are well past the age where anything like that might work. Maybe my teeth can be shifted around in the jaw bone a little, but that's what braces are for.

Modern orthodontics does take advantage of the relationship between jaw musculature and bone development. Ideally, they would have helped me starting around age 8. They can use oral appliances to guide growth of the jaw, preventing problems like mine, sometimes even avoiding the need for braces entirely.

Going the other direction - if you lose teeth and don't replace them, the underlying bone degrades. Neighboring teeth will fall into the open space, causing a cascade of problems, ultimately affecting the TMJ and airway. Dentures and bridges can help, but implants are the gold standard. At roughly $5k a tooth, not a cheap solution. Any intervention today needs to be compared against interventions expected when problems arise later. Surgery looks a lot less expensive in that context.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

I've plugged this book in the forum and in real life. It's helped a number of people relieve pain, including myself. I haven't read the revised edition, prefer the old one as it's only a few dollars because of its age. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09JL ... tkin_p1_i0

Also, are you familiar with Katy Bowman? She has a number of books about restoring full body functionality for modern adults.

Usually the painful spot isn't the real problem. For instance, I really felt a lot of knee pain after overtraining for a 50k. Once I did an exercise to release hip muscles from their incorrect positioning, the knee pain went away. The dental issues you have might be contributing to your shoulder pain?

I am really enjoying your journal these days.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Glad the journal is entertaining. I'm encouraged by the number of people here who have kept posting, even after solving their money problem.

I added the book to my queue, it looks interesting. I don't think of my joint limitations as chronic pain. It's more they are a primary constraint on some of my physical activities. I listen when they tell me to stop, because I do fear them eventually becoming chronic pain. Lately, the worst I've done is strain myself out of certain movements, losing a week at a time. I can often find an alternate angle or exercise, to keep moving.

I have enjoyed several of Katy Bowman's books. Her book Whole Body Barefoot has been key in my transition to more minimal shoes.

I hear you on the painful spot reflecting other problems. I like Tom Meyer's anatomy trains model for visualizing it. The way he traces various lines through the muscle fascia is masterful. A lot my yoga and mobility time is spent chasing muscular tension, leading into and out of my problem joints.

One of the trickier puzzles, is picking accessory exercises intelligently when I am lifting. For instance - I struggle with shifting to the right leg when I front squat. That manifests the pain in my right knee. Today I was playing with front squats, but using a band across my upper arms. Stretching that out forces me to keep my upper back tight. Keeping my back tight stops me from collapsing forward, which seems to reduce the shifting into my right leg. Or at least, the pain is not triggered when the band is stretched around my arms. Perhaps it's my weak left shoulder that is typically collapsing first, which leads to shifting right?

Part of my hope for the MRIs, is to get a better picture of the mechanical dysfunction within my problem joints. I have very specific patterns that can reproduce the worst discomfort. For the shoulder, I even have a move to "click" it back where it feels best. Between those two, I think there is a root problem to identify. Troubleshooting via inference is engaging, but maybe with a good picture, the ortho can give me more targeted recommendations. I spend a lot of time keeping things operating at their current level.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

March 2022 Total (Couple) - $3764
Home Maintenance - $1160 ($849 for home owner's insurance)
Healthcare/Medical - $991
Groceries - $577
Utilities - $288
Pets/Pet Care - $224
Clothing/Shoes - $159
Exercise - $154
Entertainment - $113
Automotive - $78
Streaming - $20

Well under the target of $4336.

Medical was about $200 less than planned. I got 2 MRIs and a follow up consult for $150 out of pocket. This feels like a victory. I managed to access affordable medical care in the US.

Discretionary was about $400 under. V02 max games caught my attention, so I lacked mental bandwidth for shopping. Then I started saving for a rower or bike. My wife ran a little under as well.

Foster cats cost an unplanned $100. While the intent is to get all supplies from the shelter, in practice there are quality of life items we justify. Poop bags. Better litter. A small cat tree. We've budgeted similar for the next couple months.

Inflation is being mitigated through substitution and lowered consumption. We are approaching a point of diminishing returns. Our gas budget is up 25%. Groceries might be next. The $159 in clothes was a single pair of athletic shoes.

I am glad we own our home and a reliable car.

May 2022 Estimate (Couple) - $4350 + $6000 (property taxes)
The property tax bill arrives in May. I can't figure out the exact total, so I've guessed 10% more than last year.

This month's budget was one of the harder financial conversations we've had. The catalyst - too much money! We've run under several months in a row, so there is about $2k unplanned.

Wanting a rower and a bike, my suggestion was to split and spend it all. From my perspective, gamifying frugality is great fun. The opportunity to burn money on toys is a perfect reward. We won the budget, and we'll do it again.

From my wife's perspective, doing without on all the small things, feels like sacrifice. Financial uncertainty is a source of stress. My idea to blow $2k on toys, well, it revealed unstated financial assumptions.

In light of those, we raised the budget for more practical items. Moving forward, we will also leave $300 unplanned each month. Absorbing a sudden unexpected overage is an amusing game to me. For my wife - suddenly doing without feels bad. Carrying a buffer will mitigate the risk.

We did agree upon substantial discretionary spending. With my $740, I can afford a rower or a bike. Both might be tough.

Overall
Net worth has dropped. We haven't seen a number this low since early December 2020. While we are within parameters of the financial plan, I am not enjoying the ride. The inflation adjusted picture is even worse.

Were I still working, the combination of events would lead me to "one more year". Talking to someone I used to work with, inflation isn't even on their radar. It's a total non-event. They've never had more money.

It definitely raises the question - "should I find work?" Thus far, my answer remains no.

The most immediate barrier - I am using subsidized health insurance. I still need to figure out my teeth. I want more comprehensive medical testing. Earning any interesting amount of money destabilizes my access to healthcare. Short circuiting the medical experiment feels like a mistake.

As important - my days are full. Making a pure trade of time for money would be regression. My former coworker also spends entire days on Zoom. I hate that. Living every day entirely on my terms feels so good. Giving it up needs to offer more than money.

I am open to a path where fulfillment includes earning money. However, it's not time. I still have more exploration to do.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

Commiseration on the net worth drop. We’re slightly below where we were a year ago in nominal dollars, and that’s with having an income and continuing to throw money into investments.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Appreciate the commiseration. At least my portfolio is tracking the market. I'm not down while everyone else is up.

April Changes - Results
1. Splitting cat food cans. Our cat isn't thrilled. Big cans have different contents. Foster kittens also arrived this month, complicating the household. Cats don't like change, but he does eventually eat the food. If he remains upset after finishing what I bought, we'll need to re-evaluate.

I did buy can lids, to make storing day 2 easier. Splitting the can isn't too bad. Waiting for day 2 to warm up is annoying. I dislike microwaving cat food but sometimes forget to take it out.

2. No dryer. I ran one load of laundry all month, so pretty easy. Now that I am setup to dry clothes in place, I think it might stick. I don't mind the stiffer clothes. I need to run sheets and towels.

3. Boxed red wine. The price is right. Drinking a box, before it goes bad, feels rushed. I'd like more variety. I have a 6 pack of cider waiting for the red wine to run out. Given my limited drinking, I don't think the practical trade offs are significant. I will replay the card, when I come across an interesting box.

May Changes
1. No dryer (continued). Sheets and towels edition. I have a plan, but need to run it.

2. Cardio Training Auto-pilot. I need to translate my enthusiasm for v02 max into a ritualized approach to conditioning, so I stop thinking about it. I read like half a dozen endurance books last month. Two facets:

2.1 Track weekly zone 2 minutes and high intensity session frequency, establishing a baseline pattern.

2.2 Continue sorting my ability to accumulate zone 2 on foot. This is lower hanging fruit than I originally thought. I got 45 minutes continuous yesterday, but it hurt my lifting. My hope is after an adaptation period, 1-2x per week has minimal recovery demands.

3. Decide on a Rower or Bike. Were I still working, I'd drop $2.5k on a Priority gravel bike and accessories. Then $1k on a new concept 2 rower. Done, since I'd also never use them. Instead - I have $740 to work with, including any other discretionary spending for the month. I can get one used thing, but have time to wear it out.

My first strategy - out of state rowers via Offer Up, already failed. With great prices, I thought maybe there was a geographic arbitrage opportunity there. Nope. Scammers. Offer Up doesn't support shipping over 20lbs.

A used bike is the more financially accessible option, even after accounting for a helmet and accessories. It's also a lot more hassle. Dunno if I want the hobby, especially given the opportunity cost. I gave away my last bike a few years ago. It was about 30 years old. Theft also enters into my consideration. I don't want to worry about someone stealing my bike, or accidentally buying a stolen bike.

There is an argument with my Zone 2 minutes on foot progressing, I need nothing.

3. Schedule an oral surgeon consult. I need to figure out what my health insurance makes available. This is surprisingly difficult, and I never want to work on it. But the dependency on my subsidized health insurance increasingly feels like a constraint. Either I can do surgery, or I need to act on Invisalign.

4. Figure out medical testing. Similar to above, I need to establish my remaining wants. Then execute. The MRIs lead to offers of cortisone shots or physical therapy, which I declined. It's likely other tests lead to no action. But, I want to create an informed baseline, while care is affordable. Ideally I'd be confident running a high deductible bronze plan, swapping insurers mid-year, etc.

5. Buy $20k of I-bonds? I need to figure out if I can do this, without knocking myself out of the health insurance cost sharing band. Between the capital gains from selling assets and the expected dividends, it is close. The net gain might be $1000, which I'd previously dismissed due to hassle. The market down turn makes it a more interesting consolation prize.

It looks like $40k might be feasible, if my spouse and I gift each other next year:

https://thefinancebuff.com/buy-i-bonds-as-gift.html

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

You should be able to find both a rower and a bike for well under $750 total on Craigslist or similar sites. I'm not sure what type of bike you are looking for, I was able to get an older airdyne for $100 (after passing on a few others at the same price) and frequently have seen rowers going for $200-300. If it is a non stationary bike it should be even easier. If you go with an older model, it will be slightly heavier but more durable (if steel frame) and the weight difference will be negligible for your purposes of cardio training. Availability of goods up here is generally much more limited than lower 48 locales and prices tend to reflect that. I'd save some searches and it shouldn't be more than a few months before you find what you're looking for.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

For the rower - I want a recent concept 2 with the PM5 monitor. I've seen several go for ~$600 in the past week. I setup app alerts on Craigslist, OfferUp and Facebook marketplace. I am bummed Facebook now dominates classifieds. We'll see if I get lucky or impatient first. There have been a select few sales in the $300 range. Parts are cheap, so upgrading an older model is an option, though less appealing.

For the bike - Primarily I'd ride on crushed limestone trails, with some light hills. I could lock it up at the gym or grocery store. I might ride with my Dad. A trek 820 would be enough. Part of me is interested in what ~$500 buys used, balanced with theft considerations. I can always wait for discretionary money to rebuild.

Low maintenance is appealing, hence my interest in Priority bikes. The internally geared hub and belt drive look sweet. More realistically - I want to avoid department store bikes, rear shocks and hydraulic disc brakes. I'm willing to spend a little more for less hassle during ownership. Since a target heart rate zone is important, I don't think a single speed bike fits well. I've admittedly never ridden one. Same with a fat bike.

It seems unlikely I'd slowly pedal an exercise bike, for any significant period of time. I garbage picked a 1980's airdyne in 2020. I used it twice, then put it back in the garbage.