What I Spend

Where are you and where are you going?
zbigi

Re: What I Spend

Post by zbigi »

Scott 2 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 1:27 pm
Living solely as a consumer doesn't seem like a sustainable long term strategy.
That's entirely dependent on the person. I've met a sixty-something guy who retired early around 20 years ago (military service in Poland allows you to do that, or at least allowed back then). Since retiring, I don't think he's had a single day of paid work. He's just naturally upbeat person, enjoys life, enjoys people (he befriended me immediately after I moved to apartment next door - that's something that almost never happens in Poland). Sometimes he seemed sad because his family life didn't go the way he wanted (he's divorced and lives alone now), but work and being productive was the last thing on his mind.
Dunno if that state of mind is attainable for the likes of you or me though.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Dunno if I could make a pure consumer play work long term. It's hard to separate my desire for financial control with more fulfilling motivators. A guaranteed income stream might change my perspective. I do think I've become a more well rounded and interesting person over the past 16 months. Maybe that eventually snowballs into someone who enjoys their neighbor. Not yet though. I purposefully avoid my neighbors. I don't want their need for attention disrupting my peace of mind.

May Changes - Results
1. No Dryer - For my normal laundry, I prefer it. For sheets and towels - I put things off until today. The only reason I attempted it, is because I posted the intent here. I have one set of bedding. It is drying. I don't know that it will be ready by bedtime.

I repeatedly used that limitation to justify putting off the attempt. I might be running the dryer at 8pm tonight. The easy fix is another set of bedding. The resourceful fix is laundry immediately upon waking. I delay, because who wants to run laundry?

2. Cardio Training Auto-pilot.
2.1 Establish a Baseline - Pretty good. Two days a week, I'm doing each of 20, 40 and 60 minutes. One day of free movement. Last week it was swimming. I suspended the heart rate monitor and often struggle to stay in Zone 2. Higher zones are more fun.

2.2 Accumulate zone 2 on foot - This went great. My 60 minute days are on the trail. I enjoy it. My weak feet keep me in high zone 2, maybe low zone 3. I am casually wondering if a 5k is on the docket for early fall.

3. Rower or Bike - Got the used rower from OfferUp for $550. The gamified leader board is better than I'd hoped, great fun. I still want a bike. In addition to my Dad, one of my friends expressed interest in riding together. Letting that go to waste seems like a mistake.

4. Oral Surgeon Consult - Did it, waiting on insurance for next steps.

5. Medical Testing - Doctor meet scheduled for next week. I still need to figure out my wish list.

6. I-bonds - Decided to table this. I will revisit the idea in mid-October, when rates are more clear. The upside might not be worth the complexity.

June Changes
1. Get on a Bike - This can be as simple as visiting the local bike shop and trying some bikes. Or maybe going to the local rental place and dropping $25 for a 2 hour ride. In the extreme, I might drop $500 on a higher quality used bike. I need some forward progress.

2. Row on the water - Rent some watercraft. Or even take a paddle board yoga class. I need take my training out of the gym. I am loosely mulling over a canned 90 minute river float, towards end of summer.

3. Orthodontics next step - I will do something to move fixing my teeth forward. Maybe as simple as an appeal to the insurance company.

4. Execute medical testing - I expect the doctor to request tests next week. I need to run them.

5. Contribute to open source software - Any project, any change request. I have this idea in my head, that if I had a laptop, I'd be more eager to play with programming. I most enjoyed my work kicked back on the couch. Rather than starting with a purchase, I want to do the thing, using the desktop I already have. That could lead to purchasing a chromebook, macbook, or windows laptop. I have feelings about all of them.

6. No Dryer (continued) - I simply don't want this one to revert. It'd be so easy, especially on the bedding problem.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

There is a Trek 7200 bike sitting in my garage. It needs work. I learned an important lesson about OfferUp today:

When a seller has many positive ratings, but very few "item as described" badges - it is because they lie about item condition. Giving negative stars risks retaliatory feedback. So the soft way to provide negative feedback, is excluding the offending trait from praise.

I picked out a good looking bike, negotiated the price, and drove 25 minutes for pickup. There I found "everything works" means:

1. The front tire won't hold air
2. The brakes aren't aligned
3. A pedal is broken
4. The quick release skewer needs replaced
5. The tires need replaced
6. The gears need tuning
7. The bike needs to be cleaned and oiled
8. The paint needs a touch up

Frustrating. I made the game time call to offer $100. I wasn't looking for a project, but I didn't want to walk away empty handed.

Looking over the bike with my Dad this evening, the guts of the bike are usable. He's going to help me sort things out, which will probably take another $100 in parts and tools. He already replaced the quick release skewer and pedals, with parts he had lying around.

Hopefully this is a case where being flexible works out. I get the bonding with my Dad, who seems to enjoy working on bikes. By the time we're done, I'll have a good understanding of how to fix the problems above. That education is probably worth $200, even absent a working bike at the end.

recal

Post by recal »

A reference for anyone who doesn't have a dad who enjoys working on bikes... a lot of places have "bike co-ops." They tend to be non-profits which gather old bikes, parts, and offer workshop space to work on your bike. I was just able to build a bike with myself and a friend last year for $120 ($80 for the bike, $40 in various new cables, chain, and handlebar grip). This was much cheaper than the used estimates of $400-600, and I felt more confident that by choosing a lot of the parts for this bike, it really was designed to fit me.

It's a really interesting project to build a bike like that, and it makes you less reliant on expensive repairs in the future. Tune-ups can get really expensive (in my area, they cost more than my bike), and it's nice that I now know enough about bikes that I can fix a lot of things myself, or with help from the volunteers at this place.

I'll probably keep renewing my yearly membership there even though it takes me an hour to get there. It's that valuable.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I was shocked to find the cost of a tune-up in my area. And the bike shops have backlogs. You could be waiting weeks.

I am finding my own bike repair adventure will cost more than originally anticipated. Tires, tubes, patch kits, bag, hand pump, multi-tool, tire levers, de-greaser, chain lube, etc. By the time I'm riding, I will be near $350. Some of that could have been deferred, had I bought a fully functional bike.

I'll be in a much more robust position when all is done though. I am starting to think of a bike as a collection of parts, rather than a singular vehicle.

My "no dryer" experiment hit a snag. While the sheets and pillow cases dried before bed, my towels did not. I took the simple approach, hanging them directly in the bathroom. While they eventually dried, one of them smells.

My home owner's association doesn't allow clotheslines. So, today I picked up a drying rack via OfferUp. For $20, I got something substantially nicer than entry level. I am coming around on buying used stuff. The transaction was pretty easy. While I had to spend time getting it, I didn't have to assemble it. The time cost was even.

Should the drying rack fail, I'm going to attack this problem from the other direction, and try a thinner towel. It's probably the more obvious assumption to challenge. Do I need a super absorbent cotton bath sheet? Probably not.

recal

Post by recal »

Getting a fully functional ready bike-as-vehicle ended up costing me around $600.

Bike was $120, lock that can handle an urban area $70, ergonomic grip $30, lights $120, mirror $25, bike rack $50, water bottle holder $20, bike basket $50, multi tool $15, hand pump $20, helmet $60, etc etc etc.. I'm probably forgetting something. Most folks don't need this much if they aren't in such an unsafe area, pretty much all of this would've been on top of the core bike anyway.

Still drastically cheaper than a car or a gym membership, but man, those upfront costs added up quick. You'll feel less sickened once the project is done and you have a vehicle that doesn't need any trips to the gas station to ride. It's a great grocery getter. :)

shaz

Post by shaz »

I would say some of the items on your bike repair list could definitely be considered optional. Patches/patch kit can be replaced with some patches you cut out of your old tubes and a small tube of glue; tire levers are nice but unnecessary if you have a flat head screwdriver; any old bag such as a plastic bag from the grocery store can work as your seat bag if you don't care about fashion; use dry lube and never need degreaser again.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Fair points on the bike gear. I can see myself regressing into a consumer mindset around it. I'll reconsider.

Part of what is happening, is I don't want to do the maintenance. If not for my Dad's enthusiasm, I would probably cut my losses and abandon the idea. While riding is fun, the start up costs and effort are higher than I anticipated. I haven't even accounted for a lock or lights. I was given my helmet. Recal's $600 is a very realistic initial investment.

But, Dad's super into it. After spending 2 hours looking the bike over with me, later that night he was emailing tire options. The next morning, another email - he bought me a chain. So, I'm going to let the investment happen and bond over his hobby. Once I have the skills, tools and working bike - I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

macg

Post by macg »

Scott 2 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:41 pm
But, Dad's super into it. ..... . So, I'm going to let the investment happen and bond over his hobby.
I can't express how important this was in my life. For me, it was golf. I ended up learning and golfing regularly for the main purpose of being able to golf with my father. We ended up golfing for years, including weekly in a men's league. He passed away 10 years ago, and I'm so happy that I pushed away my initial doubts and dislike around golf, and was able to spend that 15ish years spending time with my dad doing something he was really into...

shaz

Post by shaz »

That's great that your dad is so excited about it. Maybe he will be willing to do most of the initial maintenance. Once you get the bike up and running, ongoing maintenance should be very minimal as long as you don't mistreat the bike.

I strongly urge you to use dry lube on your chain. It is just so much better and cleaner than traditional lube and if you have a new chain you won't even have to start out by cleaning off a bunch of gunky traditional lube. You add a little dry lube once a month or so and you don't ever have to clean your chain because dry lube is self cleaning. That reduces maintenance hassles by a fair bit right there.

If you hate dealing with flat tires, it is worth spending the money to get anti puncture tape. It is better than anti puncture tires because you can just keep installing the same tape inside each new tire for probably the rest of your life. I got my anti puncture tape in 1998 and it is still fending off goat heads and shards of glass as good new. You just have to remember not to throw it out with your old bald tires. It adds a little rotational weight but you can think of it as extra training.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

@macg - a good reminder, thanks.

@shaz - I'll ask my dad about using dry lube and anti puncture tape. Are these reasonable examples?

Dry lube - https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-4-Ou ... X9PM/?th=1
Anti-puncture - https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Tuffy-Bicycle ... 000C17I9S/

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I ordered bike tires, tire levers, 4 tubes and a patch kit for $105. That's enough to get the bike running, drawing upon Dad's supplies otherwise.

Marathon GT 365 TIres - https://www.nashbar.com/schwalbe-marath ... 1?v=724476
Pedro Tire Levers - https://www.nashbar.com/pedros-tire-lev ... 50/p324752
Rema Patch Kit - https://www.nashbar.com/rema-tip-top-re ... 22/p332671
Sunlite Tubes (4) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T8 ... H7UE6&th=1

Everything else had to be tabled, because I am over analyzing. My wish list grew and grew:

Finish line citrus cleaner - 15
Progold Prolink Chain Lube - 10
Finish Line chain brush - 11
Finish Line dry lube - 10
Pedro Chain Checker Plus II - 17
Topeak Mini 9 Multitool - 17
BV Bicycle Strap-On Saddle Bag - 15
LEZYNE Pressure Drive Bicycle Tire Hand Pump - 50
Mr. Tuffy Bicycle Tire Liner - 20
Water bottle - 10?
Touch up paint - 5?
rust remover - sandpaper - 5?
Chain breaker?
Lock?
Lights?

Once I'm riding, as problems arise, I can order from the list above. My instinct is to solve the entire problem space today. That's just not necessary.

recal

Post by recal »

I use a multi lube for both my chain and for general repairs.

For the little repair tools and putting them in a saddle bag, I always have a backpack on me (and once I get the bike basket installed, in my backpack), so I see little reason to get a specific saddle bag for them.

For the emergency tools like the hand pump, although I keep the patch repair kit (it was like $3), I am so far not in a situation in which I wouldn't feel comfortable just walking my bike home or bumming off another cyclist (eg. the bike trail I normally take just has a pump at the start). Keep in mind that hand pumps are ANNOYING to use and you may prefer those canisters instead. I just haven't used either yet.

Chain breaker and such, get it with a multi tool that includes it. You don't need a chain wear checker, you can do it with a ruler. I don't have any other of the chain tools and haven't needed them, but I also, as I said, have access to a space for all of those details and I just keep the essentials "get through the day" type of tools at home.

Lock & lights depend on your area -- some people are comfortable with a $30 Kryptonite and a $35 double set of lights. Mine cost $200 because I live in one of the most notoriously bike friendly (and therefore bike unsafe) areas in the country.

shaz

Post by shaz »

Yes and yes but you don't need the weird applicator thing for the Finish Line, it is easy enough to drip some on the chain using the basic bottle. The first time, put one small drop on the top of each link as you slowly rotate the chain. It is slightly tedious but only takes about 2 minutes. For later applications just put a dozen drops or so spread out on the chain. I reapply any time I have used the bike in especially muddy or dusty conditions. If you get the dry lube then you won't need any other chain lube. You also won't need the chain brush or cleaner.

It is unlikely you will need a chain breaker or any other chain tool, as @recal said. I have seen someone need a chain breaker while on a ride exactly once.

If you keep your tires in good repair (no dry rot and properly inflated), use anti puncture tape, and don't do things like slam through potholes, you can reasonably expect not to get flats. If you find yourself regularly flatting then you are doing something wrong.

I 2nd @recal's recommendation for the little canisters instead of a hand pump. I cheerfully abandoned a hand pump in favor of the canisters as soon as they hit the market and have never regretted that decision. I'm not a big embracer of new bicycle tech - I still ride a chromoly frame from the 1980s - but the little canisters are much more light, convenient, and reliable.

I don't see a floor pump on your list. That is more important than a hand pump because you will need to top up your tires before rides on a regular basis. I suppose if you ride with your dad most of the the time you can simply use his floor pump.

You definitely will want a water bottle (and water bottle cage if your bike didn't come with one). A bottle should not cost $10. Your dad probably has an extra one he can loan you. Before long you will find you have entire closets full of water bottles because event organizers and bike shops are constantly giving them away for free. Or possibly they breed like bunnies because odd spaces in my house like the cabinet over the refrigerator keep turning out to be full of water bottles that I SWEAR I did not put there.

The model of Trek you bought should have an aluminum frame which means it should not have rust although it may have corrosion. I'm not sure if you are supposed to treat corrosion differently than rust. I put clear nail polish on fresh scratches to prevent steel frames from rusting.

You only need lights if you ride in the dark. Maybe give riding a try and figure out what kind of riding you enjoy before you get specialized accessories.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Thanks, I appreciate all the advice. Clearly I need to spend time doing the thing. My immediate plan is riding circles around the nearby forest preserve, along with following my Dad wherever. We are fortunate to have a decent bike path infrastructure in my area. My Dad runs a basic tire, no puncture guard, and hasn't had a flat in 4000 miles.

My parts should arrive by mid-month. I am hoping we get things working shortly after. I sent my Dad this same wish list, he does have extras for much of it. Although - he's very minimalist in some respects. Says he only lubes his chain a couple times per year. Doesn't care the internet says otherwise. I'll have to get his views on using a crock pot of wax. To a large extent, I need to follow his lead. I can't ask for help, then tell him I know better, cause internet. Even if I might!

I do already have a floor pump. The bike has a bottle cage. Looking the frame over again yesterday, I think it's in pretty good shape. The paint just has chips. Frame material wasn't a significant preference for me. Chromoly would have been fine, but there are a lot of these low end aluminum Treks floating around.

shaz

Post by shaz »

That's very handy that your dad can provide a lot of the stuff on your wishlist.

If he isn't getting puncture flats then you probably do not need anti puncture tape for the trails you will be riding. I started using it when I discovered by way of daily punctures that the path between my home and office was covered in goat heads. If you find yourself getting punctures hopefully you will think hmmm maybe I should try that anti puncture stuff.

Wax and a pot will certainly get you old school badass points, but dry lube will achieve the same function for a fraction of the hassle.

Enjoy the riding!

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Used the drying rack. It's much easier than tucking all my underwear and shorts through hangers. Easily worth the $20 and storage. Still need to try it with towels.

Got groceries. The food inflation continues to give strong feelings. We kept within budget, but I'm starting to break out skills learned while running a price book. I skipped the seltzer. I only bought in season produce. Yesterday, knowing we were heading to the store today, I food prepped. Pasta. Beans. I cooked impossible fake meat, but cut it with an onion, since it's expensive. The other day was roast potatoes. I've brought oatmeal back as a daily breakfast. My wife's trying to make sauerkraut.

Combined with the down market, the reduction in my purchasing power feels palatable. While not entirely constructive, it's easy to look back at my portfolio value on 1/1/22 and think "if only I'd..." At the same time, I don't have a strong conviction about responding to current events. The federal reserve rate is heading up, while the balance sheet is heading down. Unprecedented. War in Ukraine continues. US politics enter an especially volatile month.

Is it all already priced in? I have no idea.

Probably related, but I decided to lean into OfferUp. My spending money for the month is down to about $150. I have unmet wants. A shin training tool. A laptop. They are definitely not needs, but maybe I can have them anyway. So I posted 2 dozen of my various treasures, ranging in value from $20 to $200. Priced purposefully high, since the hassle of a meetup just to sell, doesn't excite me.

On the other hand, if I can barter for a want, the meet up is totally worth it. I'm going to give that a try. Faced with this new game, it's interesting how many previously untouchable treasures came into play. My prior identities have lingering sacred cows. Items bought as far back as 2005. Some that haven't been touched in 10 years. Some I've never used at all.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Got a chrome book laptop. The transaction just barely qualifies as a barter - $100 plus a one ounce silver coin. From what I can tell, the laptop retails for $300. Ignoring private party sales, best case scenario, I might get a comparable open box model from best buy for $170.

My attempts to barter for a shin training tool have fallen short. Money is definitely easier. Maybe a seller will come back to me later. That is what happened with the laptop.

I currently have 27 items listed. Interest is slow. I'm surprised at the volume of unused treasure, casually stored around my home. Probably close to $3k retail. I genuinely like all the items I'm not using. They were carefully selected. My OfferUp ads catch my interest. Funny how that works.

Dunno what I'll eventually clear, but there's no rush. I'll drop prices every once in awhile, when interest dries up or I get bored.

Ignoring the money, there's an aspect of this game that is good for me as a person. It tests my weak interpersonal skills. I have a blind spot towards others, especially stretching the truth. Part of the OfferUp zero sum game, appears to be "selling", but not enough to develop negative reputation. The concept short circuits my brain.

The guy who sold my bike, his ad straight up lied about condition. I would have been mortified to arrive in person. He wasn't bothered at all.

Meanwhile, the guy who sold my laptop, straight up said "I need money today". He also claimed ignorance in finding laptop specs. My response was to hope I'm not preying upon someone, that we're making a fair transaction. Then when meeting, he confidently tells me he powerwashed the Chromebook, to remove his data. What??? Those skill levels don't match, he was faking! Mind blown.

I am down to $35 of discretionary money for the month. Barring unexpected OfferUp success, it is time to focus on doing.

My wife one upped me on the bike. Her Dad is going to tune up his wife's bike, then lend it to her. It's a race to see who's on two wheels first. She's also started using the new drying rack. Chess to my checkers.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

For a $15 rental, I was able to try kayaking. Went with my wife. It was fun, but primarily due to the company and exploration. My time on the rowing machine didn't transfer. Prior to going, I wondered if it'd be worth acquiring an 8 foot kayak, that fits in my car. Having tried the rental 10 foot kayak, I don't think so. Renting feels like a pretty good deal. A few times over the summer will be plenty.

The plan is to try a paddle board next week. There's another place where I can rent them for $15. With that experience, I can do a local river float for $45. It's available in both kayak and paddle board. I'm not sure which to choose. I could technically come out ahead buying and selling something used, but I'm not interested in the maintenance, storage or transport of these toys. Especially considering that it's more fun to include my wife, which doubles the needs.

Speaking of, she's on track to win the "ride a bike" race. Her Dad's coming in strong, delivering a working bike to our house on Sunday.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

After cleaning the bike yesterday, which took me 2 hours, I got help from my Dad on repairs today. We:

1. Straightened a bend in the front derailleur

2. Replaced the front tire and tube

3. Found the rear tire had fused to the spoke tape. So replaced the spoke tape on the rear wheel, then replaced the rear tire and tube. Luckily he had spare spoke tape.

4. Aligned the front and rear brakes. I need to give the rear brake another look, it might be slightly rubbing.

5. Removed the freehub spoke guard, since it was yellowed and broken. The internet seems against these in general, calling them dork disks. Apparently the remaining tire reflectors are also uncool.

6. Adjusted the shifting, though this still needs further tweaking. He wasn't accustomed to twist shifters.

7. Replaced the chain, though we're unsure if it's the right length. We copied the old one, which seemed a little suspect.

8. Raised the seat. After 10 years not biking, I'm a little uncoordinated getting on and off. That's starting to come back, but I'll need to raise the seat further once I get comfortable.

The work took around 3 hours. The time reflects enormous learning curves on my end, for just about every conceivable mechanical task. Without my Dad's help, the used bike would have been a lost cause. By any objective financial measure, it should have been junked.

But, as of now, the bike is functional. I also learned a ton. With that education, new bike prices look far more reasonable. It's hard to believe the bike flippers an OfferUp turn much profit.

Some refinements are in my queue:

1. Adjusting the rear brake. It may be rubbing slightly.
2. Shifting. While my dad showed me the basics, I need to learn the details of adjusting a twist shift.
3. Paint - touch up minor scuffs. I need paint.
4. Cleaning. I need to use a degreaser, instead of watered down Castile soap. I was also too timid around getting the bike wet.
5. Verify chain length.
6. Make the headset stop squeaking

Absent bonding with my Dad, I absolutely would have abandoned the bike idea. This is a lot of work. Hopefully the mechanical skills transfer elsewhere.