What do we need in an emergency?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
george

Post by george »

We've just spent 10 days without water connected, sewerage, phone and electricity. We've also had to deal with the mess left after an earthquake. So what did we need and find useful?
Most importantly faith that those around your family etc would do the right thing. You can only help the person next to you. A good community spirit is vital.
At home we need:

A shovel, to dig a toilet. If you can't handle that, a bucket and plastic bags or a portable toilet. Lots of plastic bags, different sizes.

A large rubbish bin to seal off unmentionables

a wheelbarrow to move the dirt/clear gutters

Toilet paper, baby wipes, disinfectant spray, hand sanatiser, pain killers, smellies, soap

First aid kit

Bleach, vinegar, baking soda for cleaning.

Sealed Drinking water washing water. Find out if there's a natural spring or well in your neighbours

An alternative method of heating food- keep those gas bottles filled up.

Lots of cheap comfortable clothes (you don't have time/weather for washing)

An ice cream container to wash in, a cup to wash the hair

candles, matches, torches, batteries. Somthing large to put the candles on in case they fall over.

A small and large radio

small long life milk, milk , cold drink(we only drink it during emergencies)

Lots of buckets to carry water

keep ice packs in freezer, they'll keep things cold a bit longer

Keep your battery lap top charged

Cell phone (although the cell phone use went down, it did get fixed.

Tins, baked beans, spaghetti etc Bacon, cheese, butter keeps well We were lucky, had fruit trees, vegetables.

Camera with fully chrged batteries for insurance
And always say hello/wave to your neighbours, know how many people live next door etc

And in an emergency, don't run. flee etc unless there's a clear danger to your safety. Travel only to immediate family. Keep those roads clear for emergency vehicles. On-lookers are not appreciated (for all we know they could be burglars).

generators are useful but use up lots of fuel, and are expensive

Make sure you store all your emergency items in a high, stable place you can access in the dark.

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

Wow. I think you might have more needs in an emergency than I have day to day ;-)

george

Post by george »

It's more needs than I have day to day too, but when you stink, are so physically exhausted you're in pain, trying to avoid disease, covered in dirt, trying not to worry about those you care about, these are the things that you wish you had. Our earthquakes were just as unexpected as a natural disaster anywhere else. A tent may be useful too. :)

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

Where do you live?

george

Post by george »

Christchurch New Zealand. Our experience may sound awful, but we really would have been stuffed if council staff and volunteers etc hadn't turned up. 10 full bus loads of volunteers with shovels turned up in our suburb alone. It's raining now and our gutters are working.

M

Post by M »

@george - That's a really good account of what you actually need in an emergency! I think I'm going to save this post and reference it when I start investing in emergency preparedness...If I were you I would be half tempted to start a website where you help people deal with emergency preparedness, using your own situation as an example...hmmmm....food for thought?

george

Post by george »

Thanks M, That is food for thought. I guess I worked in communications for years and am enjoying the quiet life. I've read so many useful tips on this site I wanted to share some of my practical lessons. People who follow this site will fare well.
Eg We had so little stuff, the clean up of the house was relatively easy. Some people have less damage to their house than us, but have moved out because they can't bear to deal with their damaged stuff. Also because I've been able to retire early I don't have the stresses others have, I just go with the flow.

george

Post by george »

Forgot to metion, if you have water but its not "clean" put one drop of bleach per litre of water, stir, leave for 30 minutes. Apparently if the water is "cloudy" you add 2 drops. Warning it tastes foul. Also I should have added milk powder to the list, gives you energy.

Mater

Post by Mater »

Good post George, sorry to hear about your situation. You bring up an interesting topic though, emergency/disaster prep. Just having basics on hand will make surviving a natural disaster much better, ie., water supply, basic food, hurricane lamps, flashlights, radio, basic camping gear such as small stove, sleeping bags, tents. A little bit of prep I suspect would go a long way.
Another bonus of being prepared for a disaster situation is you can take care of those around you in your neighborhood as well as taking care of yourself. It would be nice to be self sufficient in these situations and not have to depend on Uncle Sugar (gov't) to come rescue us.