classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
Jin+Guice

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by Jin+Guice » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:28 pm

The weather shit is serious, I'm surprised they're aren't more people talking about this on here. I give up all hope by the end of September. The gulf coast is what's up in the winter. It still gets cold occasionally but it's kind of fun, especially if you don't have to worry about getting to work. It's not uncommon for 2-3 days around 40 (this is cold af due to the humidity) to be followed by a few days in the mid-70s.

@c_L: Snowbirding is one of the down sides of wanting to be somewhat established somewhere and still have work. It's definitely in my web of goals though.

What I was trying to ask is, at your current spend rate (IIRC, ~18,000/ year?), how many solid years could you take off, assuming 50% SS? This is kind of a tricky question since it will depend on how you estimate investment returns. Interesting to think about, though maybe not if you're prone to over-worrying (I'm prone to coercing the numbers to tell me I should quit earlier).

@2b1s: I spend a lot of time on this problem too. Especially for someone in you or c_L's position, I think it makes more sense to focus on what you might what to do rather than a certain dollar amount. If you need $10k a year and you can do your dream job from home, but it only pays $2/ hour, then you're back to where you started. OTOH, setting the floor at $20/ hour is pretty limiting. In my experience the world of low-impact but kind of o.k. jobs exist largely in the $10-$20/ hour range. Y'all have bought the time to do this very slowly. Take a year or 2 off of work to dick around and travel and decompress, then another year or two to figure out what you like and then another year or two to figure out how to do it. I bet the real challenge will be lasting 6 years without making any money.

FWIW, I've found the cutoff in lifestyle between working around your job and just having work be an annoying errand you do is around 20 hr/ week. I also don't like working less than 8. If I was going for ideal I'd say somewhere around 15 with some weeks having 0 or little and some weeks having almost 30. Sometimes it's nice to take a break from the ennui and just go somewhere and do something immediately gratifying.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:00 pm

Jin+Guice wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:28 pm
What I was trying to ask is, at your current spend rate (IIRC, ~18,000/ year?), how many solid years could you take off, assuming 50% SS? This is kind of a tricky question since it will depend on how you estimate investment returns. Interesting to think about, though maybe not if you're prone to over-worrying (I'm prone to coercing the numbers to tell me I should quit earlier).
Well, you peaked my curiosity, so I ran the numbers. According to Cfiresim at 18K (which is about right for 2019), as best as I can estimate my asset allocation with that tool, in a worst case historically I'd be broke in 17 years. I'm eligible for Social security in 19-27 yrs, as it currently sits, but I use 2043 (24yrs) as my basepoint in determining the benefit. In doing that, I can spent about $14200 a yr with 100% chance of historical success. Interestingly, when I use Tyler9000's Portfolio Charts, with my exact current asset allocation, and his historical database back to 1970, the worst case year would be 2000 (with a couple of early 1970's very close). If I had pulled the plug in 2000 at my age now, I'd be 62, so a reduced SS payout as an option or only 5 more years to full SS, and I'd still have about 200K left on an 18K spend. I'd consider that situation a borderline success and it was the worst in the past 50 years... on an 18K spend rate though, which means I definitely have to live a Wheaton Level 4-5 lifestyle or better. Some options are closed.
Jin+Guice wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:28 pm
The weather shit is serious, I'm surprised they're aren't more people talking about this on here.
Agreed. Even with a part time work situation, I think snowbirding is very viable. It would just take some up front effort and/or cost. In my situation I'd probably look at some type of seasonal outdoors/service job in the summers and hang out in MN or maybe the mountains. Then some type of PRN or seasonal nursing type job down south in the winters. Six month leases are pretty normal, so housing shouldn't be an issue. Although one would either have to be in a constant state of getting free furniture from waste streams with each move, or would have to invest in a vehicle (used minivan being the best option) to move a few things designed for easy travel, or just live without. I've found with frequent moving, having a few quality, easily movable items makes each new place feel more like home, and am already partially invested in that lifestyle. So, that'd likely be my route.
2Birds1Stone wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:33 pm
I hope you realize how awesome it is that you can go back to work for a short stint and earn some serious coin. I've been scratching my hear trying to figure out what I could do for 20-30 hours a month that would pay even $20+ an hour after taxes.
On the other side of that coin, it also means that I constantly have to be reminded that I could be making some serious money. So there's a constant gnawing in the back of my brain telling me I'd better use my time wisely or else it's a waste of potential. This could be good in the sense it keeps me from laying around, or bad in the sense I don't try some things I might have otherwise. Because I can make so much more (vs the $10-$20/hr gigs J+G is talking about) if I just suck it up and work in a hospital, even though I'm sick of that. I'm not sure if the benefits will outweigh the costs in this deal. It's the current experiment.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:12 pm

There's a FIRE community setting up in Lake Geneva, WI. A few people are already there. It's 6 month seasonal/former "campground". Units are 30-60k and carrying costs (taxes+HOA) are $2-3k. It's a bit rich for my taste unless the exact same arrangement would be possible in the south.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:29 pm

@jacob
That's really interesting, at least from a community aspect, which is a huge sale point, IMO. What are the "units", just lots for campers, or are you getting a seasonal cabin-type home? If you actually get a cabin, using the mid-range of those numbers I get 5-600/mo in costs using a 4%WR. Very reasonable, and you have the potential of recouping costs later with ownership. Of course it depends what the association costs cover. If you have to buy a camper too, it starts getting more pricey. Do you have more links/info?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:54 pm

You actually get a cabin or rather a converted former railroad car. The place used to be known as the Caboose Motel. The costs aren't entirely bad except the whole 6-month/yr limit.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:14 am

"There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing." - Alfred Wainwright- British hill walker ;)

Although I am in a bit of a schlump myself, I still maintain perspective on former better practices, and my practice of many years was to walk/hike outside in nature for at least an hour at least 6 days/week no matter what the weather (in Michigan!) In my experience, the "in nature" part is critical to success. In fact, I would even recommend driving to closest park or trail head if necessary. As noted above, you definitely need to gear up with any and all necessary layers and carrying a hot beverage is also helpful/motivating.

Another suggestion I might make since you are self-defined semi-retired by choice is that you may eventually want to consider investing in your own enterprise(s.) Although I have crashed and burned a bit doing this sort of thing myself, I still think giving yourself the option to invest in your own activities as well as the enterprises of others through the stock market can be a great adventure. It will also keep you from becoming stuck in situation of possessing a good deal of time and vigor while simultaneously committed to very frugal personal spending. Just declare a new hobby or three as meant to eventually pay for themselves and then set up separate accounting for each of them. These can vary from very small potatoes on up and very quick pay-off on down. For instance:

1) Take lessons towards lifeguard certification--> get part-time job (and free pool time) at swim school
2) Buy decrepit vacant building at auction. Fix it up and convert into rental art/craft studio space.
3) Use the studio space you reserved for your own use to start throwing pottery.
4) Travel around to craft festivals selling your pottery (write off as business expense.) Allow friend to use your share of studio space while you are gone in exchange for caretaker duties.
5) Sell the building and use the profits to fund your next venture.
6) etc. etc. etc.

The fact that interest rates are so low now and I am being swamped with offers for small business loans causes me to believe that there is currently a shortage of active enterprise in the market.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:45 pm

@7WB5
Despite living in wintery northern areas my whole life, I still do not enjoy being outdoors, even in all the proper attire, when its really cold. As a matter of fact, my tolerance seems to be decreasing with time. It's hard to make myself like something I dont like. The only true advantage I see is that I tend to appreciate and take more advantage of the good weather when it's here. That may not be the case if I lived in SoCal and had it all year round. I will admit to liking the season change in the autumn, but the transition seem to be getting more abrupt over the past decade. Going from summer hot to snowy in only a few weeks. Have you noticed anything similar?

I think the suggestion about investing in my own enterprises is a good one. Something I have been considering lately. I do question whether it's a great idea to seperate them out economically, I'm trying to understand flows from one aspect of life to the other presently. That type of thinking may turn my thoughts in wrong direction. IOW, not being consciously competent in Wheaton level 6 thinking, separating out each endeavor pushes my thought process in the opposite direction I want to go.
7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:14 am
The fact that interest rates are so low now and I am being swamped with offers for small business loans causes me to believe that there is currently a shortage of active enterprise in the market.
I think from a macro perspective capital is being used very unwisely, due to its abundance. As a result, you're probably correct that many small niches are not being filled wisely, 7WB5 enterprises has a bright future. 8-)

Colibri

Post by Colibri » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:47 pm

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:14 am
"There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing." - Alfred Wainwright- British hill walker ;)
I agree. But if you don't like the cold, you don't like it. I love it so no problems with the weather up here. The ice skating season is just starting. It is that window at the begining of the winter when it is cold enough for small body of water to be solid frozen for safely skating on, yet we didn't have enough snow for the ski season, that will come later in November. I often dream about the coming ski season in the middle of summer. The darkness is another beast.... thank god for vitamin D supplement !

"Another suggestion I might make since you are self-defined semi-retired by choice is that you may eventually want to consider investing in your own enterprise(s.) " From 7W5.

That is what I have been doing for the last year and it is starting to pay. It is so fun and you are 100% in control. Give it a try.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:46 pm

@7WB5 and @Colibti

OK. Let's assume for a moment I want to start my own enterprise(s). How do I go about changing my mindset from salary-man to buisness-man. I'm certainly not willing to devote a huge amount of finances to such an endeavour, but I do have a lot of free time at the moment. Where should I start?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Well, since you don't want to devote a lot of capital to the endeavor, you might want to start by reading "The $100 Start-Up" by Chris Guillebeau.

Touching on what I mentioned previously. Although a lifestyle business is almost by definition going to be tightly "economically" interwoven with everything else you are hoping to accomplish, it is very important to keep each one "financially" separated, and not just for simple bookkeeping or tax reasons. For example, a very frugal self-employed guy in my marriage support group had a shopaholic animal-rescuing wife. They were constantly bickering because their modest home which he had built was filled up with his business inventory and her HSN buys and dogs. He kept making the argument that his "stuff" generated income while hers did quite the opposite, BUT he could not admit to himself that he was fluffing his business profits (in his own mind/ego) by storing his inventory and running his office out of his own house. It is VERY easy to make all sorts of slips of this type, one way or the other, when you are being your own accountant, even if you do run tight ship on separate books.

In retrospect, another thing I think is very important to consider right from the get-go is markets; the plural noun even before its modern verb transformation. This is the juncture or interface that is most critical for lifestyle considerations. A lemonade stand on your front lawn with a change jar on top and a sign is a market-place. The internet is not a market-place; it is only a medium until/unless there is some semblance of a specific cash register and a sign advertising your goods attached directly to your cash flow. It's sometimes easier to first define a market-place and then decide what goods you will bring rather than vice-versa. Sometimes you can create a whole business simply by moving stuff to a market-place.

Also, since you are an E-J, one aspect of the businessman vs. salaryman quadrant that will likely be critically important for you is that you can contract/manage workers for your own enterprise. IME, nothing an EJ loves more than running honcho all day on his own crew and then taking them all out for pizza and beer (written off as business expense, of course) afterward. Of course, you could also get this sort of fun by volunteering as something like coach for disadvantaged youth team, but no cash flow will attach.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:52 am

I can think of a few things but I'm not sure if you want to stay put for the foreseeable future or if you want a flexible schedule for traveling?

Colibri

Post by Colibri » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:37 am

Do what you know and/or what you are passionate/ driven by.
And find a market place for it like 7W5 said.

You can start very small. Renting a table at the local craft fair to sell your homemade wooden spoon ?

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:38 am

Instead of forcing yourself to start a business if you can't quite think of one, maybe it's better to just allow yourself to be open to serendipity, your own inner-monologue, schemes that may sound somewhat ridiculous or any combination of the three.

Or you could think of a problem that really bothers you and try to solve it in a way that makes you and possibly other people money.

Or you could think of something you really like doing and then try to think of a way to make money doing that.

Two semi-ERE things I've found difficult to internalize are 1) I now have a lot of time to "waste" on any project I want and 2) I can have longer time horizons than the extremely short-term, because I not only have time now but also in three months from now.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:38 am

@Jin+Guice:

As an eNTP, I hear you. However, you need to recall that c_L is an ENTJ and ENTJ s are way more likely to be Work Hard/Play Hard/Relax Completely (Fall over like a bear made of bricks) than Make Work Fun!/Make Play Productive!/Can't Take a Nap Because I Might Miss Something! Since, for some unknown reason, E-Js frequently attempt to date me, I have a good deal of experience witnessing the sort of problems they might experience with too much free time (inclusive of tendency towards bossing around any "happy puttering" types found within their domain.) IOW, I may be projecting*, but I am offering my very good advice out of feeling of sympathy/empathy for c_L's GF.

*Especially since I am currently in mode where I am imagining my dream partner as somebody who is gone working/fishing all day long and only comes home in time for sex** and a cuddle.

** On the plus side, ENTJs are most likely to be of the sexual variety I refer to as Sturdy Indestructible***.

***A description I borrowed from 1970s edition of "Joy of Cooking" where it was used to designate cookie recipes that could readily be rolled, cut, and frosted without crumbling apart on you.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:28 pm

@horsewoman
I would love to read your ideas. My geographic situation is very open, and the idea of having a home base is already part of the plan.

@7WB5
I like the idea of choosing a marketplace before deciding a business. Thanks for looking out for the GF. Although she's pretty good at it herself. In some ways I do not identify with ENTJ personality characteristics, I'm not sure why that is, other than maybe I've naturally tried to strengthen my weak points through life experience. For example, the idea of having a bunch of employees is an anxiety ridden and frustrating thought. Maybe because I've learned to expand my compassion and empathy through nursing. Now I'd have to consider their "feelings" and "needs" on top of efficient progress to my grand vision. Having to do both seems overwhelming and exhausting.

@colibri
I'm finding it hard figuring out my passions now-a-days. Those underlying personality passions I've had my whole life are probably not overly marketable, unless, maybe, I can delude myself into believing that small things matter to grand visions. See my comment to J+G below.

@Jin+Guice
I think you are a master at serendipity and/or ergodicity (as @jacob would call it). This is why I think you are closer to Wheaton 6, than 5. Going with the flow doesn't come natural to me. This is an ENTJ characteristic I still hold to strongly. I prefer to spend my time manipulating the environment to my will vs finding niches in the current environment. I'm open to suggestions wrt how to work on this weakness.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:40 am

This is a little bit tough for me because I'm no good working with people which seems to be your strength. So take my suggestions with a grain of salt! It may look easy to me because I don't have to do it, and there might be concerns with insurance and liability I am not aware of!

You could offer your services for seniors that live at home, to look in on them while the main caregiver is at work. Not necessarily in a caregiving capacity, more like dropping in to make sure all is well, are the meds taken, talk a little, maybe a short walk if possible. Afterward you send a text to the working child/spouse that all is well. If you can line up a few of such appointments on 2-3 days a week in your surroundings you could ride your bike to the homes.

Another thing would be to get in touch with local youth centers if you can get together bike or hiking tours for adolescents. Perhaps during holidays? I suppose if these things are managed in cooperation with organizations there are fewer concerns with liability - even more so because you are competent with first aid.

Since you like to travel you could put together slide shows and tell about interesting spots or things for a small entrance fee - you would need to find interesting places to visit of course. Or think of some twist which makes it interesting. Actually, frugality could be your angle, you could share travel hacks. Or ERE & traveling, a short intro how you managed to almost retire at your age and then a description of how you travel on a budget.

This is what I can think of at the moment. IDK if there are feasible, but maybe it kickstarts some ideas in your mind :)

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:16 pm

@horsewoman, thanks for the ideas.
horsewoman wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:40 am
You could offer your services for seniors that live at home
Home health is a booming business with massive growth potential in the US. I've thought about this before. Unfortunately, doing it as an independent nurse opens up huge liability in a sue happy country. I'd be more concerned about kids/grandkids suing than the actual clients. Also, some home health stuff can get covered by insurance or medicare/caid (gov't plans) and the payment process is such a convoluted mess you literally need to hire experts to extract payment and have to follow ridiculous rules. The former is annoying, the later a deal breaker for me. So any larger scale organized home health business is just more than I want to chew at the moment. I could look at very specific, wealthier, self pay demographic with good liability insurance though. So it's a possibility worth some research.
horsewoman wrote:
Another thing would be to get in touch with local youth centers
I've thought of contracting as a nurse at summer camps and the like. I think I'd be interesting. Although an early 40's male wanting to do this type of work gives people a "creeper" vibe that would be hard to overcome unless I actually have connections before hand.
horsewoman wrote:
Since you like to travel you could put together slide shows and tell about interesting spots or things for a small entrance fee
I seriously enjoy teaching in small/medium groups... IF I don't have to follow someone elses required lesson plan. I've considered getting time spots at my local library community room and offering free classes on a variety of subjects. Just to see how things go, learn and improve, maybe someday leading to paid gigs doing the same.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:48 pm

QUICK UPDATE 11/8/2019
Almost 2 months Post Semi-ERE

Well, I think I've finally actually separated myself from the need to be constantly busy. With the hustle and bustle of the road trip over and the weather change, I'm mostly spending time just hanging around home, or at friends homes. I managed to finish all my nursing continuing Ed and renew my license for 2020-21. I also have a couple of things scheduled next week for a few hours to renew all needed certs for my current job/line of work. Interestingly, I just don't care that much anymore. I almost rescheduled my ACLS renewal because I've been too lazy to go to the library and take a 1 hour "pretest" I need to pass before hand. Yes, I realize I still have a week... but... I just don't feel like doing it. The new and amazing revelation is that I don't have to. :lol:. It's not like I'm depressed or anything either. The past 10 days or so I've been perfectly content to do bare minimum, hang out with friends, play video games, read, basically be generally 100% unproductive... and I LOVE IT. I don't feel bad about it, at all. I'm totally relaxed, like almost zero anxiety, which is something I can't really remember ever experiencing. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad development. On one hand I feel good, on the other I feel more like a leisurely old aged retired person than a productive ERE'er.

After I began the extra fasting for weight loss I did some research, and evidently it's "a thing" called alternate day fasting. There are even some fad diets based on it. Recent research wrt to this type of diet shows its pretty promising. Lower muscle loss than regular cal restricted diets plus all the documented benefits of fasting in the blood work results. In study n=1 it's working. I've lost about 5 lbs in the first 2.5 weeks. The first week sucked because I was always really hungry on the fast day. After reading the research, I found most of the studies had participants eat a small meal, <500 kcals, on the fast day to alleviate this problem. So I started having a small snack of either a garden salad or almonds the fast nights. This basically relieves all the hunger discomfort, so I think this is a very maintainable thing for me.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:44 am

I think medical transport would be a good small business idea. Since you already have the licensing, all you would need would be an outfitted van and the necessary insurance. My mother paid her service $400 to transport her back and forth from my daughter's wedding !This a hugely growing field, because hospitals and outpatient facilities are dumping people same day or 24 hours after fairly grueling procedures and they often need to prove that they have transportation home. You could possibly use the same van to run tour bus service for seniors or disabled which might be more fun, if camping out in the parking lot of the nearest Native-American run casino and/or mega outlet mall is your idea of fun :lol:

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:46 pm

@7WB5
Yes, medical transport is another huge growth industry. I'm not sure if there are specific licensing requirements though. Each state will be different, if it's not too arduous from a regulation perspective to get private pay fares, this would actually be a great way to pay for a minivan, which is my likely vehicle replacement when the Scion gets too banged up to serve her purpose.

11/13/2019
Random Thoughts

Since my recent "lazy spell", despite lack of outdoor time, I'm not bored at all. I really, really like just hanging around with friends, entertaining myself with old video games, learning, reading, and thinking. The last couple of days in particular, I've digested a lot of concepts. This is partially because it's quickly becoming decision time wrt how much longer I'm going to remain unemployed. The GF is already in the third week of her contract, and if I'm going to start back up any time soon, I should try and make it align somewhat with her.

On my mind has been this concept of bare bones FI. Something I really never thought much about when accumulating. This seems to tie in nicely with a recent reread of YMOYL (I read it and ERE annually for the past three years), and the concept of advancing to FI Wheaton Level 6. Combining this with some of the excellent recent threads around here; technical debts, environmental threats, even relationship issues in journals. Where it becomes so obvious humans have a very difficult time understanding flows when there is large separation of time and space between action and reaction(s). Together this has me thinking about how all of this fits into a life of personal satisfaction.

The interesting thing about all of this is that I am bare-bones FI. As in, I can afford basic shelter, basic food, basic healthcare, basic transportation, and basic hobbies for the rest of my life within any reasonable degree of certainty that is possible to predict. You would think, this makes my life easy from a YMOYL, life energy cost perspective. For example, at the end of this month I'm going on a week long road trip. It will include a long weekend in Minneapolis for the GF and I alone, where we plan to take advantage of bigger city activities we can't get around home, a couple of days around the holiday with her family, and a couple with mine. Now lets assume I have a real PRN nursing job, where I can pick up shifts at will. I can easily calculate that this trip (an extra. not covered by FI) would cost me about 2 days of work that I would have to pick up within a couple of weeks before or after the trip. Is this worth it to me? Absolutely! Done deal.

Here's the thing. I optimized my wage in such a manner that it really only takes one day, in my current arrangement, to pay for this trip. The catch is I have to work three months straight of full time to get that wage. So, now do I ask; Is it worth one day of work to go on that trip? or do I ask, is it worth three months of full time work to go on that trip and maybe others like it? Because the answers are different. Additionally, there is a huge gap in space and time between when I actually work, and when I go on this trip. It becomes hard in my fickle human brain to remember three months later that I'm working today to "pay off" that trip I took in November last year... It will just become another day working, and for what? Since I'm barebones FI and have no extra spending planned... This line of thought leads to a miserable day.

Obviously, I can change my mind and get that PRN job to help clarify all of this. The "cost" though, is that every "extra" takes twice as much life energy. My strategic vision tells me to optimize one way, while human nature wants me to focus on the emotional connections of direct action and reaction. Maybe certain personalities don't have this particular dualism (I'm looking at you INTJ), but I do. Even the folks who tend to be more of the "dreamer" variety have the ability to associate current actions with future dreams, even if they never become a reality, because it's the dreaming they enjoy. I'm too pragmatic and short term. Being this way makes decisions like my current one, go back to work or not, harder. I need to find a way to more easily associate perceived "work" and sacrifice, with the potential gains. Specifically when dealing with more uncertainty and with larger separations in time/space, action/reactions. Put more generally, I think I need to associate some type of pragmatic purpose with my actions to make them feel more meaningful while i'm doing them. I think this will help me on multiple fronts. I could even go so far as to call it a lever point in multiple c_L systems. 8-)