classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
Augustus

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by Augustus » Mon May 13, 2019 11:20 am

I think you guys are overcomplicating this. You only have a certain number of years to live, and even fewer years that will be in prime physical health. The plain fact is you're location independent anywhere in the USA. I have come to realize that the idea that you can plan out 30 years is an illusion, for several reasons, death being one of them, you don't get to choose when or how you clock out, you can only limit risk, but you cannot eliminate it. If you really want to go somewhere or do something just go do it. If you like where you are now, stay there.

You have a skill that afaik you can use anywhere in the USA, you have more money than 95% of the population, you could not work for years with literally no impact on your day to day life and needs. You're planning to semiRE and not touch principal. Ergo, you are already free. You cannot know where you want to live until you try new places, because you cannot predict how you'll feel in other places. It's the same problem as not being able to know what you'll do in retirement until you retire, you cannot solve it until you have data on what it's like to be retired and what you enjoy when retired, and that data simply does not exist, you cannot plan on liking what other people like because of individual variation. If you're spending more than an hour or two thinking about it you've probably already reached the point of diminishing returns.

Renting makes a whole lot of sense, never buy until you've rented a year or two in a given location.

Have fun dude!

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Wed May 15, 2019 3:20 am

@Augustus
I make everything too complicated! Ohh, and speaking of Memes. My friend used her cricket machine to make the "Come and Take it" tee-shirt I wanted! 8-)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:28 am

I think you are telling me to take the time to deliberately design a social network, in the same way I have taken the time to deliberately design financial flows. This is a great idea, how would you suggest I go about taking inventory on my potential future needs/desires from non-financial yields of said social network?
Well, the first thing to notice would be that your financial flows do occur within a social network, because money is mostly a human invention/convention. As in, "I want to feel secure, so I invest in U.S. Treasuries."

That said, the simplest way to take an inventory of potential needs/desires would be to look at a big list of Values and do some clarification. For example:https://www.threadsculture.com/core-values-examples Then think about whether a social framework which models or complements this value would best grow it. For instance, you might be best served associating with similarly physically fit people to reinforce that value, but charity requires recipient. Usually it is more complex than this.

My garden project is out in the open in an urban area, so it is very common for people to approach and start a conversation with me. Recently, my garden partner was joking about how that never happens to him when he is there by himself. This is because my appearance and manner makes me very "approachable" and his does not. He might prefer to be more "approachable" and I might prefer to be less "approachable", and self-aware alter our appearance or behavior in alignment with that desire.

All of our interactions with other humans are based on appearance and/or behavior, and usually it is the case that if you think of a Value, and then you think of behavior from others that would exhibit or reinforce that value, and you think of what qualities would solicit that behavior from you, then those qualities/behaviors will likely solicit that behavior from others. For example, let's say you value Admiration, and you think you will feel Admired when a room full of people is focused on you with their attention or even maybe clapping for you, so you think of situations when you felt compelled to give somebody your full attention and then clap, and you do your best to mimic/learn the behavior set or skills of that person.

Really no different than thinking about how water moves through and across a landscape, except you are considering behaviors of free-roaming creatures in context where they are part of your experience.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Sun May 19, 2019 6:35 pm

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:28 am
For example, let's say you value Admiration, and you think you will feel Admired when a room full of people is focused on you with their attention or even maybe clapping for you, so you think of situations when you felt compelled to give somebody your full attention and then clap
:lol: literally, You are starting to take my ENTJ to the extreme.

Honestly though, I prefer my to take my accolades in private, from a single, or small group of people I've actually helped or added value to. Large scale forced admiration sickens the Gen X'er in me. If any of my accomplishments become too well known, that draws unwanted attention from "the man". Hence limiting my future ability to stick it to "him" in under the radar, ever-so-subtle ways.

I can think of two types of people I really admire. At the extremes and combinations of. The first are those who are actively fighting for some form of "mission". Whether fighting for or against something bigger than themselves. Purposely being outside of the norm*. The second would be those who are very much outside the norm, but are more so because they are oblivious to the norm. They simply do what makes sense to them. Incidentally, I would classify myself as mostly the former and my GF mostly the latter. Both of these come with obvious drawbacks though.

I've also found myself very attracted to first generation immigrants to the US, particularly if originally from poorer areas of the globe. Probably because they represent a very good middle ground between the two. A mission, but not really for or against anything. They simple use the parts of the new system in which they live to maximize personal/family situation and mostly ignore the rest. They see flows for what they are vs what they were acculturated to see.

(*) Incidentally, this is why I don't dislike the late Millennial/Gen Z SJW youth cult, even though some of their ideals are wacky. They are simply acting in concert towards a perceived mission. Very sheltered youth who have lacked first hand true atrocities to fight against. I'm optimistic that this group, once refined and seasoned with age/real-world experience, can bring about some positive change.

Anyway, I would bet that if I manage to create a social network close to a maximum Dunbar number with the type of people I like, doing the types of things I'm interested in, then the flows I had experienced before will probably manifest themselves naturally. I think my biggest problem right now is that I have maybe 10% of that number of good relationships in my life. This is very much a result of social burnout from nursing. I took @suomalainen's advice a while back and actually talked to coworkers about this phenomenon, and it turns out it's VERY prevalent. At least I'm not crazy

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:48 pm

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that "you" wanted admiration. It was just an easy example.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:02 pm

6/6/2019
Sept 14th is my last day of FT work!

Things have been progressing. I finalized the terms of my last full-time contract a couple weeks ago. I will work through Sept 14th, but I get two paid weeks off at the end of July, when my lease is up, to deal with my housing situation (or lack of having housing at this point). So the countdown is on! I also plan to use that time off to get all of my RN certifications and continuing education updated for Nurse Compact Licensure renewal. This will cover me for about two more years until end of 2022. Basically a working vacation, since I’m working nights it’s hard to get this stuff done otherwise.

Yesterday I met with my boss for annual review and let her know this would be my last contract within the hospital system. I cited lack of flexibility as my main issue, GF not finding contracts in the same areas they place me & not having enough time off. I spoke nothing of semi-retirement, et al. By the time I woke up the next day she (boss lady) had spoken to her director and offered me a PRN position within the travel pool I currently work. I would get to keep current travel nurse pay and stipends, get to choose when and where within the system I want to work. Their only concern was if I had too much time between contracts, I would fall behind on system wide changes and require too much training at any new assignment. Their proposal for this concern, I would be limited to taking 6 months off at any given time before requesting a placement. They want me to work at least 6 of 12 months in a calendar year. I’m very temped to take this offer, at least initially. Working half-time at my current rates would place me at 50+% SR in semi-ERE (if I could still call it that?).

Benefits: Good pay, about 2.5X the average of normal PRN per hour worked. I’d maintain progress towards FI, probably 4-5 years of this would get me there. Complete discretion in when I work and where in the system I work. I would set up “home base” in my favorite city within that system, and take most contracts there. Known scalable income source available, I can take up to 6 months off immediately for decompression and if that changes my mind I could just quit (not the classiest move, but I could). Would let me experiment with long periods of time completely away from work to see how that suits me, allow for slow travel, etc.

Drawbacks: Work would have to remain in Midwest unless I took other contracts during my 6 months of time off. Long term, half-time is on the higher end of amount of nursing work I would want to do. Would have less direct control of my schedule vs regular PRN when I’m actually working. I lose my healthcare and 401K match benefits (but may still be able to contribute to 401K without match, running this through HR), however these losses are offset by a decreased tax burden. This hospital system has issues for nursing, there is a reason they have an external travel pool, but I’ve been dealing with them for quite some time and am well aware of the weaknesses (the devil you know).

I’m interested in feedback from anyone. I’m sure part of my current reasoning in wanting to take advantage of this is the “feel good” response of being sought after for my skills and experience. I don’t want that to cloud my judgment. However, I kind-of feel it’s a win-win, in that I can take it and really still have up to six more months to decide.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:18 pm

I would do it, the potential benefit (you realize 6 months off at a time is ideal!) far outweighs the negative (you quit after 6 months, realizing no work is awesome at the time).

Then again, your alternative is not necessarily no income. You could still do 1-2 days a month to bridge the gap and pad the stache, right?

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:39 pm

Circle:semi-circle::full-time work:X

Circle:semi-circle::ERE:Y

X=Y

Taking this opportunity is a no-brainer in my book. You literally have nothing to lose by trying it out. If it doesn't work out, go back to your original plan, which, I think, was only a slightly different version of semi-ere.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:28 am

Yeah, I think you guys hit the nail on the head. Thanks

My biggest issue with this is I have to work full time while working, and will have no more control of my schedule during those periods than I do now. Which isn't horrible, it's usually pretty reasonable for patient care medical work. At least I get to pick the when and where. One of my biggest worries with the 1 day a week type of work is that I'll waste too much time being annoyed with it. I tend to be an all in or all out personality anyway, so this may end up suiting me even better. Plus it would jive with what the GF wants to do with her work as well.

I'm gonna hold off for a week or so, since they are in no hurry either, just to mull it over. But it's pretty much settled in my head unless I hear a compelling argument against it I haven't thought about.

Next task is to find a place to live.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:31 am

classical_Liberal wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:28 am
One of my biggest worries with the 1 day a week type of work is that I'll waste too much time being annoyed with it.
Bingo
I tend to be an all in or all out personality anyway, so this may end up suiting me even better.
Bango
Plus it would jive with what the GF wants to do with her work as well.
Boingo

And with 6 months off in between 6 month stints, I don't think you'll have time to burn out so this concern seems a quite minimal risk:
My biggest issue with this is I have to work full time while working, and will have no more control of my schedule during those periods than I do now.
You can do anything for 6 months, especially if you know that it's buying you 6 months to do anything you want. Not one person in a thousand has that luxury. Pulling the ripchord and bouncing into a 1-day a week gig has very few barriers to executing, right? A value-positive option has fallen into your lap. I'd exercise it and see what it's worth rather than letting it expire worthless.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:18 pm

That's pretty much the perfect semiRE job? At least at the beginning. I'm curious if you'll decide to stay in the area. If you do, then I don't think it gets much better than that? Only alternative I can think of is 1 day a week, but you don't get the huge gaps to go adventuring with that. I think you should try it to see how you feel, it's good data. If you don't like it you can always bow out later. 6 mos on 6 mos off is going to be my target for the first years of semiRE, the problem I see is that it's going to be difficult to line up just 6 mos, it'll probably go longer, and I would plan to take a longer amount of time off in between to compensate. If I could find someone offering what you're being offered I'd take it in a heartbeat. I'd be really curious to see what happens if you try this now and 1 day a week later to see which you like best.

Oh, and eventually management may change and they'll renege on this deal, which I think is one more reason to try it now, it may not last forever.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:37 am

Augustus wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:18 pm
Oh, and eventually management may change and they'll renege on this deal, which I think is one more reason to try it now, it may not last forever.
Yes! Now that I've decided I really want to try this out, I already have some misgivings about it actually happening. Just a few things running slow on the HR side, so maybe nothing. Whenever you are the first one to try something inside of a huge corporate bureaucracy, this is always a possibility.

6/12/2019

I finally broke my rule of only buying used (outside of some underwear) for the past year. I've been looking for a simple, cheap cruiser bike for months on the used market and have found nothing local. I don't want anything expensive, because I don't want to worry about it being stolen. Well, I finally broke down and bought a simple cruiser from Walmart. It was on sale for $80, so I figured what the hell. I've already gotten my $80 out of it in entertainment, I had forgotten how much fun riding a bike is! I've been rolling around town for at least 2 hours every day off since the purchase. Plus it cut down my work commute from 20 minutes of walking to about 5 minutes of biking. Totally worth it, even though it's kind-of an ERE fail since I couldn't find a used one. I also finally started cutting my own hair, this is an ERE win that should have been taken years ago. Seriously, WTF c_L? It's so much easier than getting it done and I even got a compliment from a pretty coworker on my new, shorter buzz cut.

At this point it looks like the GF will be able to get a contract starting in July at new home base city. This has lit a fire under our butts in trying to find housing there. Initially we assumed she would take more time off in between contracts, but since my situation developed the way it did, with a mid-Sept end date, she wants to try to line up her contract to end near the same time. Plus she's suddenly super motivated to pay off her student loan again and doesn't want to lose any ground by taking time off. She doesn't have to convince me that's a good idea, so this weekend I'm off and we will be scouting out apartments. One in particular seems to fit both of our needs and is very reasonably priced at about $500 a month. Fingers crossed it's as good as the ad. Looking for housing is a shit-ton easier when you are looking for a standard year long lease vs short term. I don't know how many places I've had to cross of the list in the past because they won't budge on lease term, or ask for unreasonable rent increases for shorter term. This time it's easy-peasy, everything that looks good can be in the running. I think it'll be fun this time vs the normal hassle and stress. I STILL need to get to the dentist under my employee insurance because checkups are free. It's been a couple years so if any work needs to be done, they will also cover 80% of fillings and such. As previously reported, I have a plan for the nursing license stuff end of next month, so I haven't had any stress on that end.

When I used to fantasize about my last few months of FT work, I always assumed that some sense of peace would rush over me. Like I wouldn't mind the last run at all, maybe even enjoy it more knowing an end was near. Interestingly this has not at all been the case. Although my anxiety is generally lower lately, this is completely attributed to having more outdoor time and exercise, thanks to summer. Work remains the same as it was before all of the decisions were finalized. No great sense of not caring, because I do care about the parts I've been focusing on for the past couple of years. I do feel pretty happy in general about life. I have this amazing feeling that semi-ERE/coasting to FI is gonna be one of the best decisions of my life. I find myself trying to live in the moment more often, particularly when outdoors and exercising. The idea I will get to do so much more of that type of activity is truly an amazing feeling.

SustainableHappiness

Post by SustainableHappiness » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:08 am

Congrats again C_L. Confidence and F-U Money have brought you a new lifestyle arrangement to try out and like others said, if you decide it sucks, just do something else. Thanks for posting these experiences.

wolf

Post by wolf » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:21 am

Yeah, congrats c_L!!! I'm curious how you will like it. You seem pretty happy with the decision :-)

fingeek

Post by fingeek » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:45 am

This is great, well done! What are your plans for the first 6 months off? If it's anything like me (and others), you might find a good few months in decompression/aimless mode so it might be worth being mindful of that. Good luck and keep us posted :)

MidsizeLebowski

Post by MidsizeLebowski » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:42 pm

Excited for you c_L, your analysis behind everything seems very sound and it's been helpful watching you formulate it over your journal. This work arrangement sounds almost molded to your plan. What's the outdoors exercise of choice as of late? Excited to see how you take to the new lifestyle, congrats!

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:20 pm

Wow! I've been a bit out of the loop so I missed the last couple weeks of updates. That is super exciting and I think that is awesome with the 6 months on, 6 months off potential. It does make me think about my recent decision to stay full time employee versus going contract (but I'm also at peace with my decision and am fine with it for now -- but in the future...).

I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes. And that is really an ERE dream.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:22 am

Glad to hear the pieces are coming together, your journal is exciting to read and I hope to have a similar story in a few years.

Bikes are the best!!

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:28 am

bah gawd that's a great setup you have c_L!
I'll definitely have to look at nursing when I'll be closer to ERE figures

theanimal

Post by theanimal » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:03 pm

I'm really looking forward to reading your further updates. I've been really interested in nursing as an option for the past couple years or so. I applied and was accepted to a nursing program last year but decided not to go through with it at the time. Maybe sometime in the future. Anyways, keep kicking ass!