FI in Sweden

Where are you and where are you going?
Forskaren

Re: FI in Sweden

Post by Forskaren » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:13 am

I did not have to pay any capital gains tax, since the stocks I sold was in a special account (tax paid based on the whole capital, four times a year, no matter if you gain or lose).
My SWR is now 2.9%

Global stock index funds 66.1%
Hedge funds 16.3%
Short term bonds funds 8.1%
Single stocks 5.1%
Nordic stock index funds 2.8%
Car and stuff 1.0 %
Gold 0.6%

herp

Post by herp » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:48 am

Looks good!

I'm jealous of the swedish "investeringssparkonton". Our government tried to introduce a weaker version of it, but it ended up with a pitiful 50k DKK cap and a 17% tax rate.

Still better than the 42% marginal rate and I guess every bit helps. Hopefully the cap can be raised with time.

Anyway, sorry about the sidetrack.

Forskaren

Post by Forskaren » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:00 am

I had extra expenses in July for my vacation, increasing my food and entertainment costs. It is interesting that I can cashflow extra expenses and still save money each month. The last time I didn’t cashflow a month was over five years ago, when I bought my car.

The company that I work for has lately got a lot of customer orders, basically passing an all-time high. It looks like I will get a bonus at the end of the year. One disadvantage is that it can be hectic when I come back from vacation. The company also experience growing pains as it need to invest heavily in automation, personnel and international expansion.

I have considered it before and is considering it again, to limit screen time. I have ordered some hard- and softcover books from Amazon, so I don’t need to use a screen to read them. I have for about a month severely limited my news consumption and it improves my life. Daily news is just useless noise, unless you have a job that requires you to react to news.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/ ... lf-dobelli

http://www.dobelli.com/wp-content/uploa ... 1_TEXT.pdf

http://www.dobelli.com/en/essays/news-diet/

Report US$

Earned income 3377

Expenses

Rent 492

Transport 138

Food 643

Entertainment 430

Other 425

Total 2127

Savings 1250
Savings rate (%) 37

wolf

Post by wolf » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:06 pm

It is great that you saved money although you did a vacation! How was your vacation? Did you do it "ERE style", like camping, by bike or public transport... Or did you book a standard hotel stay? Looking forward to hear something about that. 😀

Sounds good that your company has a lot of orders. Better too many than too less. Congrats to your bonus!

Forskaren

Post by Forskaren » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:25 am

It was a pretty standard hotel stay in a large city. Some eating out at restaurants and tourist stuff.

It can be really expensive to eat out...

Forskaren

Post by Forskaren » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:56 am

A bit late August update:
The savings rate for August was at 63%.

Food was the biggest expense, mostly because I stocked up with whiskey. In transport I paid the annual tax for my car.

Report US$

Earned income 3466

Expenses
Rent 475
Transport 166
Food 499
Entertainment 38
Other 102
Total 1280

Savings 2185
Savings rate (%) 63

My investments are not included in the monthly income and expenses. I have sold of my last single stocks and will have to pay taxes on the capital gain in the beginning of next year. The tax money is in a normal savings account for now.

Almost of all of my investments will now be in special tax simplified type of accounts available in Sweden. Doing some research and testing some investment robots, I have come to the conclusion that a 100% stock index fund strategy is best for me.

Current assets (excluding retirement savings):

Global Index funds: 83% (0.1% total annual costs and fees)
Swedish Index funds: 15% (zero total annual costs and fees)
Stuff, car, gold etc.: 2%

herp

Post by herp » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:04 am

Looks great! I think a pure index approach is a great way to go. Yours certianly has rock-bottom costs and very wide diversification. As long as you can stomach the volatility of a full equity approach, it should serve you very well in the long run.

Forskaren

Post by Forskaren » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:24 am

The savings rate for September was 64%.

My rent was increased this month, increasing my cost of living some. The rent on the apartment increased only 1%, but the cost for renting garage and other fees/costs increased much more.

The food cost was within control, but was increased some because of eating out.

My income was lower than normal due to expenses for work. I subtract those redeemable expenses from the income figure for each month. On the other hand, I will get that money back next month including some more compensation for traveling. The book keeping for me become easier by calculating in this way. That also means that the work-related stuff does not screw up my expense categories.

Earned income=Money coming into my bank account-redeemable expenses for work

Report US$
Earned income 3052
Expenses
Rent 515
Transport 95
Food 333
Entertainment 36
Other 122
Total

Savings 1951
Savings rate (%) 64