Hydrogen power possibility?

Your favorite books and links
Oz

Post by Oz »

Research from the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory claims to have developed a low-cost, stable, and scalable hydrogen energy solution using ammonia borane as the storage material.
As much as this sounds like a pipe dream, any physicists, chemists, engineers or nanoscientists out there who could shed light on the plausibility of this? If it is plausible, is it feasible? If so, any foreseen consequences of scaling this to a mass consumer level?
Cella Energy Uses Coaxial Electrospinning to Create Low Cost H2
Cella Energy home page
Research publication in the Journal of Physical Chemistry (access required)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Suppose it works ... where's the hydrogen going to come from? That's the primary problem. Storage is secondary.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

All we have to do is develop efficient hydrogen fusion. We'll use the fusion reaction to separate the hydrogen out of water. A very small amount of that hydrogen will be used as fuel in the fusion reaction.
The excess hydrogen can be used in the above system to run our lawnmowers.
The excess oxygen will be combined with Aluminum to form Al2O3, from which we will make entire cities out of sapphire.

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

All we have to do is develop efficient hydrogen fusion.
Why didn't they say something? I've been doing this for years in my basement. I'll write something up about it next weekend.

Bakari

Post by Bakari »

"where's the hydrogen going to come from?"
Exactly. Hydrogen is not a fuel source, it's a battery. It takes an equal amount of energy to produce hydrogen as you get out of it (assuming 100% efficiency).

If it could be stored safely and compactly, it could potentially become a better battery than what we have now, but it would still be a battery.