Five Years, Lord Willing

Where are you and where are you going?
Jason

Re: Five Years, Lord Willing

Post by Jason » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:02 am

OMG I Have too much money!!!! Help me!!! Someone!!! I don't want to end up on my death bed thinking I could have started a foundation to assist alcoholic indigent poultry workers who had their balls declawed by wild turkeys!!! I mean, everyone should be able to enjoy thanksgiving without suffering PTSD!!! Nurse!!! Nurse!!!! Call my accountant!!! Before its too late!!!!

Just joking. I don't have too much money. But I do have more money. After 30 months of tracking, our net worth has increased $200K. So that's kind of like an accomplishment. Although I feel like I'm just stumbling through this shit.

But, if I do have ever wind up with too much money, I, being Kegan Level Negative five on this issue, have figured out what I'm going to do with it. I will start a website dedicated to all those FIRE people who have saved too much money and can't figure out benevolent ways to spend it and provide them with creative concepts on how to spend it in a manner most unbecoming and deleterious to the world around them. I'm thinking "Mr. Money Douchebag." And it will be the beginning of the "FIRE This" movement. Because people are idiots and money doesn't help anything except not needing it, I will provide creative solutions to defund retirement accounts in the most crass and annoying ways, ways guaranteed to cause permanent rifts between you, your loved ones, your enemies, your neighbors, not to mention your community, as well as local, state and Federal law enforcement. If drinking wine and listening to suburban, music school Jazz trios thinking your Marcus Aurelius and your downtown is Ancient Anthens doesn't do it for you. Or if giving $100K to "Bathrooms Withouts Doors" doesn't make your privates all tingly, my team of douchebags will customize a program to help you out. For instance, did you, like myself, ever dream of funding a driving school with a fleet of Escalades in the Denver, CO area? Well, let's start planning that out. Your time is limited on this planet and we need to get moving.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:00 am

Hahahahaha, I am sure you have seen this but just in case you needed inspiration.....I find it fascinating that in the current milieu it is so objectionable to have carved out some success and security for oneself. The end result of Judeo-Christian morality seems to be that any difference in wealth or power and any suffering must be eliminated. I feel bad about some poor schmuck in a third world country who is laboring at a less favorable position in the global supply chain but am I supposed to try and upend the system? And if you want to go Theodore Kaczynski on everyone's ass, well I guess that has some merit to it, and then you show you really mean what you say. When we are young it seems it was beaten into us that we are a “good person” and many of us spend most of our lives trying to fit that definition....at least in the eyes of others. The cognitive dissonance is deafening.

Other recent scribblings on the matter.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:53 pm

I never saw that video before. That was good. BTW, did you click on "Drinking Laxatives and Super Gluing My Butthole Shut"? I saw it in the up next column. It has 3 million views. I'm kind of afraid it's clickbait and will give my computer a virus. I'm more afraid it's an actual video of someone drinking laxatives and super gluing their butthole shut.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:25 pm

First of all, the way the algorithms work means you see what YouTube thinks you will want to see based on your internet search history. Second of all, if that gives me any indication of your search history then your computer is already loaded with viruses and you have already seen much worse.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Not on this computer. I guess they have algorithms now for how you think.

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:38 pm

After much deliberation, I decided not to click on "Drinking Laxatives and Super Gluing My Butthole Shut." I believe its best to do so when I am in assisted living in order that I can use the old man "That asshole Peabody went on my computer again" excuse. I just hope I remember that I want to see it. And that I still have my eyesight. Thinking upon this has made me realize just how fragile life really is. But I have matured enough to delay gratification. Thank you for all those who have brought me to this point.

I have more money than I had last month but less time to live, so its kind of bittersweet.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:29 am

The recent index funds threads got me thinking. I have been operating on the "its better to be a good saver than investor" hypothesis which, as I think about it, really translates to "its better to be a good saver than a bad investor." The question overlooked in this proposition is "is it possible to become a better investor?" I have come to the conclusion that as most things in life, it is and evidence indicates I have become a better investor, even though I continue to operate out of the implied "bad investor" status of the "its better to be a good save than investor" proposition.

Using our invested assets as a basis, based on a 5.4% return rate, if we continue to add 1K each month over the next 15 years, we will have approximately the same amount of money ($1.2 million) if we invested $0 per month but achieved a 7% return.

Reflecting on JLF's "Man thinks" proposition, this is a reality worthy of serious contemplation. The question is, could I think about all the dimensions of investing i.e. stock research, behavioral research, trends research obtain a 1.5% better return as opposed to all that is required (essentially work) to earn 1K a month to invest.

I have come to realize how much the mantras of the retail investing world has permeated my thinking and have taken some baby steps to move towards taking some steps to increase better returns. It's a move that will require gradual steps, but at least it provides some direction.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:00 pm

We have reached a milestone - $500K in money. I briefly considered buying the guy in The Guardian who gives 75% of his money away a new set of curtains but I'm afraid they'll want to take our picture together in front of the new curtains but as I am someone who doesn't like to to draw any attention to myself I'll have to think of some other type of charitable donation. Any ways, it might be short lived as its by the skin of of the stock market's teeth, so I need a bigger buffer before I give any on it away. In celebration, my wife and I gave each other one heartfelt and emphatic finger. We have more work to do before we can double barrel each other. I like to think it has something to do with my new investment strategy, but as MI said I need to vector to prove it. Speaking of MI, I wonder how his Jungle FevERE is going.

If one has engaged in any type of concerted effort at frugality, not having money sucks way more than having money benefits. It's not that it doesn't matter, it's just that if you are not spending it, in a material sense, it is really a process of subtraction of shitty things i.e. bill collectors, having to ask people for money, untenable living arrangements, as opposed to an addition of better things - nicer car, bigger house. Having money is a moat against the indignity of not having money. Other than that, if one is not looking to accumulate things or status, its not much beyond that. I guess you can do other things. Who knows. I don't really like doing things. Come to think of it, I really haven't done anything. Maybe I can address that after I take a nap.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:59 pm

Congrats on reaching the half a million mark!

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:01 pm

Thank you. I appreciate it.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:09 pm

Jason wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:00 pm
Having money is a moat against the indignity of not having money. Other than that, if one is not looking to accumulate things or status, its not much beyond that.
This is a very good point. Not having money sucks. At some point though increasing money doesn't really give you a lot of value apart from being able to do what you want within reason with your time. If it is just for accumulating stuff or having experiences I don't think it increases your happiness that much.

Congrats on the $500k. That is a lot of money.

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:03 am

In this day and age comparing net worth is a parlor game. On mainstream financial websites $500K is "modest" and as far as retirement goes, not enough. I know its a different mindset here. Where I live and work, I would probably considered behind the curve. There are people on this website who have much more. You can always compare yourself to people have both more and less. That's why I like the thermostat vs. temperature analogy. I think most people don't know what a lot of money is because they have never decided the issue for themselves.

Edit: The other thing is I'm older than most people here. Compound interest has a way of making people look smarter than they really are.

J_

Post by J_ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:32 am

You are doing well Jason! And you are a boon to the forum with your language virtuosity. Although... never mind.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:06 pm

I haven't read your entire journal, but if you've been saving as much as you stated in your first post you must have either eliminated or significantly reduced your mortgage in that time as well, correct? 500k and a paid off house maybe graduates you from a shit-ton of money to an ass-load of money.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Jason wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:49 am
I want to be done in five years. I believe that with 500K, a paid off house and SS and this pension, we can retire somewhere in America. Where is the question.
We have reached a milestone - $500K in money.

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:05 am

The balance of a mortgage stands at slightly under a buck and a half. We have knocked 25% off in three years. The question I have to work out with the SS is that I can't collect for another 8 years. So one out of the four streams is not flowing immediately. I know there has been a lot of debate on the 4% rule but I'm using 4%.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:38 am

Congratulations!

Not wanting to make a tangle of threads, but do you think that your core metaphysics might have something to do with your perspective that money primarily provides freedom from suffering rather than, perhaps, towards joy?

One of my guilty pleasures is watching talent show audition videos. Doesn't your growing financial independence make you feel just a bit like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej04VAktzyE

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:08 am

Thank you.

In answer to your question, no. It means that either because of disposition, personality, upbringing, life experience or combination thereof, I tend towards pessimism and despair. Although I am addressing it. I don't think a correlation between worldviews and personality characteristics can be made. Although from experience, the Buddhists I have known, they seem to be the ones most free of from general assholishiness and inclined towards selflessness even though I don't agree with them. Maybe its all the mediation.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:14 am

You may be privately a pessimist but as a money manager you maybe an optimist
Last edited by fiby41 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:55 am

Gotcha. Maybe you haven't met enough Buddhists? I've knocked boots with one or two and they can exhibit their own flavor of assholery too. IME, what I will call for lack of a better phrase, New Agey Christians exhibit the fewest superficial asshole-like behaviors. On one occasion I attended an early morning book sale attended by a lot of other dealers in a large space where two lines were forming. The other line was for members of a New Age Christian congregation and you could instantly determine which line an individual was going to join by presence or lack of benign smile on face. Although, it just occurred to me, that because I am definitely on the cheerful, benign looking side for a used book dealer, it might have been even money on me if I had been dressed less grubby.