Share your recipes

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
loutfard

Re: Share your recipes

Post by loutfard »

Various variations on pearl barley risotto work well. It does take some time to prepare and cook, but pearl barley is cheap, locally grown where I live, and relatively healthy. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pear ... rnut_61137 might be a good starting point for experimentation.

Pearl barley risotto is a great recipe for the Baltics. Unlike in western Europe, pearl barley never really disappeared here as a staple. Combine that with a rich tradition of picking from the abundance of mushrooms in the wild, and you've got the basis of a wonderful risotto covered.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Anyone make their own pasta? I've been experimenting, but no matter what I do it's mushy. I have to do gluten free pasta, so I use flour (GF 1-to-1), 2 eggs, and a little water. I might try adding a little corn flour.

Even mushy, the pasta is great. Once I get the basic recipe down I'm going to try different flavors and shapes. I'm open to any suggestions.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

jennypenny wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:38 am
Anyone make their own pasta? I've been experimenting, but no matter what I do it's mushy. I have to do gluten free pasta, so I use flour (GF 1-to-1), 2 eggs, and a little water. I might try adding a little corn flour.
Yes, sometimes, eggs, water, and regular white all purpose flour. Mushy sounds like it's overcooked? It only requires a few minutes in boiling water. It could also be the lack of gluten. This I don't know.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

How to Make Ice Cream

Last fall, @AH gave us a tutorial on how to make ice cream sans ice cream maker and Mrs. Animal and I have been off to the races since then. The process is straightforward and takes little hands on time offering a result that has a fraction of the sugar and is far creamier than commercial options.

What you need:
3 cups of Heavy Whipping Cream
1 can of sweetened condendesed milk
1 tsp of Vanilla
Some type of vessel (Tupperware, casserole dish etc) for freezing

-Add the vanilla to the heavy cream in a large mixing bowl and beat until you have stiff peaks. This will take about 3 minutes with electric beaters and at least double that if you do it by hand.
- Once the peaks have formed, fold in the can of sweetened condensed milk. Be careful not to overstir or the whipped cream will collapse.
-Add in any toppings you desire.
-Pour into your container and place it covered in the freezer for 8-12 hours until it sets.

Voila! You now have ice cream. This will make about 10 servings, with each serving having about 5g of sugar (possibly more depending on toppings). Total cost averages around $5 or $0.50 per serving. It’s dangerously easy and good. So far we’ve tried vanilla, chocolate peanut butter, mint chocolate chip, mint with peppermint m&ms, dark chocolate raspberry, cookies n’ cream, lavender honey walnut, blueberry maple and strawberry.

It’s a massive hit with others, even those who don’t generally don’t like ice cream that much. Recommended!

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

jennypenny wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:38 am

Even mushy, the pasta is great. Once I get the basic recipe down I'm going to try different flavors and shapes. I'm open to any suggestions.
HOW DID I MISS THIS ONE?
SHAME! SHAME! SHAME ON ME!

Italians in general consume both dry and fresh pasta. The is no "better" one, they are two different products that have different uses.
Then of course there is personal taste. If you like the "bite" of dry pasta you are never going to find it in any fresh pasta, no matter how high the quality is.

I think in general egg pasta (ie tagliatelle, tagliolini etc) is way better when made fresh.

My recipe* is very simple:
For each 100g of durum wheat semolina**, one small egg. That's it.
Just mix and work until it is a uniform dough, adding a bit of extra semolina if too "wet"; then flatten out into a sheet of the desired thickness.
Add some flour on the surface and bottom to prevent sticking, and roll it like it's an ancient scroll (if you see what I mean).
Finally, just cut with a knife and unroll into tagliatelle.

Cook in boiling water with lots of salt, and mix with the sauce.

The best Bolognese deserve a freshly made tagliatelle, in my opinion. Try and you won't be disappointed.

*in honesty, that is widely considered to be the "traditional" recipe. There is no 100% consensus but this is as close as it gets. So technically it is not "my" recipe, but rather the recipe I use.
**a lot less mushy than flour!

Ego

Post by Ego »

Ego's Inauthentic Tabbouleh

We were down to the last handful of bulger from that case my friend gave me two years ago(?) so I mixed 50% bulger and 50% quinoa. The bulger cooks fast, so I cooked the quinoa for about 8 minutes before adding the bulger.

Finely chop a bunch of parsley.

Finely chop lacinato kale (sacrilege!)

Finely chop garlic, onion (I didn't have green onions so I used regular) and yellow peppers for color. Toss in a handful of home grown broccoli sprouts.

Cherry tomatoes

Coriander, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and coarse salt on top. Toss, eat.

Everything but the broccoli sprouts and parsley come from used food vendors.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Yum! I have become the world's laziest cook now that I am living by myself. My dinner tonight was dried black beans and a container of prepared salsa dumped in the Instapot and served over rice. My only recent innovation is that I have decided that Worcestershire Sauce can serve as a substitute for almost any other condiment or seasoning. Although, the fact that there ares some anchovies in there make it less useful if you are vegetarian or frequently serve vegetarian guests. Sustainability-wise, anchovies are pretty low on the food chain, so pretty much on par with insect protein.

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

Seppia wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:47 pm
HOW DID I MISS THIS ONE?
SHAME! SHAME! SHAME ON ME!

The best Bolognese deserve a freshly made tagliatelle, in my opinion. Try and you won't be disappointed.
You penance can be to share said Bolognese recipe! I recently made it for the first time. About 5 hours of cooking. It was fascinating to see er I mean taste it evolve over time!

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

There is a bolognese recipe around midway through page 6 of this thread :)

sodatrain

Post by sodatrain »

Seppia wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:59 am
There is a bolognese recipe around midway through page 6 of this thread :)
Awesome! Thanks. (I did click back a couple pages before asking - probably to 7 or 8 :lol: )

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Do you like baby corn? You should!
It is one of the quintessential sources of Umami flavor*

I get the baby corn from Trader Joe's

Boil it 10 minutes in unsalted water

While boiling, preheat some salted butter

drain and sauté on medium for 15-20 mins so that the corn gets a bit golden

raise the flame to high, and add cooking sake. This is the only one I find on amazon, and it is very decent. Somehow, searching for "cooking sake" usually produces Mirin sauce, which is VERY sweet. You don't want Mirin, you want actual sake.

Let the sake lose the alcohol, lower the flame, and add soy sauce to your liking.
Toss the corn for a little while (5-10 mins) so that it absorbs the flavor

This is a great side dish or you can add it to stir fry or similar

*outside of dashi, other common ones are roasted tomatoes and mushrooms