Lean Logic by David Fleming

Your favorite books and links
DSKla

Lean Logic by David Fleming

Post by DSKla » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:25 am

I wanted to give everyone a heads-up on this book since I'd never heard of the author before, but it's quite astounding. The reviews all suggested it's hard to categorize, and now that I have it in my hands, I'd agree. Without a doubt, it's over 600 pages of the kind of systems thinking that would appeal to many ERErs.

Presented like a hardback wikipedia of sustainability, the entries are listed in alphabetical order, with asterisks next to words that have their own entries, so you can jump through rabbitholes the same way you might do with wiki. I've only begun to thumb around, but it looks like something I'll be coming back to for years. Even the short "how to cheat in an argument" section at the beginning that sums up a ton of argument fallacies has given me pause to rethink the way I debate.

Everything from thinking down through doing, the life's work of a man who's had his ear to the ground of the sustainability movement for decades, without falling into any of the self-defeating traps that snare so many. I've got a lot of reading left to do, but I still recommend giving it a look.

BRUTE

Re: Lean Logic by David Fleming

Post by BRUTE » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:14 pm

sounds interesting, but there doesn't seem to be a digital version. only hardcover for $50 :(

DSKla

Post by DSKla » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:37 am

$36 on Amazon with free shipping.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:54 am

DSKla

Post by DSKla » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:25 pm

That looks like a good budget/travel light/TL;DR option. If anyone gets it, let me know what you think. I decided to pass on the bundle because I figured I could piece it together from the dictionary version, although I suspect it'll take me a year or two of piecemeal reading.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:35 am

BoredRider

Post by BoredRider » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:20 am

This is now absolutely one of my two favourite books of all time.
(Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet being the other, at the other extreme of length! :lol: )

DarkOptimism

Post by DarkOptimism » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:35 am

DSKla wrote:I wanted to give everyone a heads-up on this book since I'd never heard of the author before, but it's quite astounding. The reviews all suggested it's hard to categorize, and now that I have it in my hands, I'd agree. Without a doubt, it's over 600 pages of the kind of systems thinking that would appeal to many ERErs.

Presented like a hardback wikipedia of sustainability, the entries are listed in alphabetical order, with asterisks next to words that have their own entries, so you can jump through rabbitholes the same way you might do with wiki. I've only begun to thumb around, but it looks like something I'll be coming back to for years. Even the short "how to cheat in an argument" section at the beginning that sums up a ton of argument fallacies has given me pause to rethink the way I debate.

Everything from thinking down through doing, the life's work of a man who's had his ear to the ground of the sustainability movement for decades, without falling into any of the self-defeating traps that snare so many. I've got a lot of reading left to do, but I still recommend giving it a look.
Hey DSKla. I'm the editor of the book, and having stumbled across your comments online just wanted to say how great it is to read your thoughts on my late mentor's work! It blew me away too, hence the years of unpaid time I put in to finishing it up and getting it out there after his sudden death :)

Best,
Shaun

vexed87

Post by vexed87 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:05 am

I first got wind of Lean Logic on JMG's Arch Druid Report but forgot about it as I'm not in the habit of pre-ordering things! Then Peak Prosperity posted an interview with Shaun on their site recently. I had some Amazon vouchers to use up after xmas, so gladly ordered a copy of Lean Logic as I enjoyed Shaun's discussion.

It's great to see there's a growing peak oil transition movement in the UK, I haven't gotten to know many outside the ERE circle who acknowledge our predicament and are making personal changes. Shaun, if you're still around these parts, great work, hopefully our paths might cross one day :)

TheRedHare

Post by TheRedHare » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:33 pm

I got Lean Logic about 3 weeks ago, and I love this book! The vast amount of information that is in there will keep one busy for quite some time. Although the book is basically saying that we are going to go back to simpler times, I find it comforting and I often think of moving out of the city and back home in rural Georgia once I've managed to become FI.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Shaun Chamberlin was a recent guest on Legalize-Freedom.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:21 am

The two books mentioned in this thread aren't available at my library. I'd say close to half of the books I want are not in my library system! :evil: For a system that includes dozens of libraries, this is very disappointing. ILL request might work but are cumbersome.

Books are one of those things I am very conflicted on purchasing (they are the only thing I am tempted by), as libraries are available, but when my library doesn't have what I want, it gets even more tempting to just buy them. Ugh.

DSKla

Post by DSKla » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:51 am

cmonkey, Lean Logic is not a good book for library checkout. It would be like checking out an encyclopedia and trying to read the alphabetical entries cover to cover in time to return it. This is a book you'll want to peruse in non-linear fashion for a very long time. Maybe the companion book would be good for a checkout, but Lean Logic is a strict buy or no-buy decision.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:12 pm

@DSKla, Thanks for the heads up. Looking through the book preview, I now see that. Looks very interesting.

TheRedHare

Post by TheRedHare » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:17 pm

I was looking into the companion book, which I kinda wish I got, but I still enjoy picking apart Lean Logic. It's a great reference book. I would agree that this is definitely not the kind of book for a library....probably because no one would bring it back.

Anytime I've had a question as to what something would look like from an ecological or local economy perspective, Fleming was able to convey his answers in a concise manner all while adding additional references in case I wanted to go further down the rabbit hole in order to understand something at its roots.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:15 am

They are working on a documentary at the Fleming Policy Centre and they've posted some teaser videos if anyone is interested ... https://www.flemingpolicycentre.org.uk/ ... eath-snow/