White Belt's Military Journey to FI

Where are you and where are you going?
theanimal

Re: White Belt's Military Journey to FI

Post by theanimal »

That sedan setup in the video is really cool.

Building social capital while living in a car may prove to be more difficult. It seems like it would eliminate the option of inviting people over for X, Y or Z and being more reliant on their spaces and the use of public spaces. It may very well be possible, but if the friends are more consumer minded, it could lead to some internal friction and potentially increased spending. But it sounds like you may be able to mitigate that if you're just working during your work week then spending time off at your gf's/friends/campgrounds.

white belt

Post by white belt »

theanimal wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:40 pm
Building social capital while living in a car may prove to be more difficult. It seems like it would eliminate the option of inviting people over for X, Y or Z and being more reliant on their spaces and the use of public spaces. It may very well be possible, but if the friends are more consumer minded, it could lead to some internal friction and potentially increased spending. But it sounds like you may be able to mitigate that if you're just working during your work week then spending time off at your gf's/friends/campgrounds.
Yeah, to clarify this approach is essentially cutting my losses on building social capital in my work location. Although, I do still have a few friends here, so it would be very easy to maintain some connection to them by joining them for a BBQ or to watch a sporting event (these are things I already do now). What I'd be losing in social capital here I'd be gaining at my retirement location that I'll be spending two breaks a month there instead of the one I currently do. In a weird way, I also think that such a lifestyle would also force me to go out and do activities before or after work because the alternative is sitting in my car. Due to nearby military bases, I also have access to amenities beyond the basic library and gym membership like pools, outdoor areas, and other things. There is a military campground that's a half hour away, so my social cover will probably just be that I'm staying there while I work on shift and then travel during my days off.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

white belt wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:30 pm
through USAA I've figured out a way to get nationwide membership to most big gym chains for $25 a month
Thanks for this. I found my health insurance has a similar partnership with gympass. Gyms that cost $100 are in the $60 tier. Gyms that cost $149 are in the $89 tier. Only I can access every gym in that tier and below. There are no joining or cancellation fees. I can change tiers monthly. It's a crazy good deal.

white belt

Post by white belt »

I feel restless when I'm not engaged enough. At this point, my job gives me very little in the way of engagement. I think in the long term this may be beneficial because it forces me to the director of my own engagement, which is what I will have to do in retirement. However, these rotating shifts really throw me off because I can't ever completely get in a routine or build momentum. I am often working or sleeping when the rest of the world is socializing or relaxing and I am off when the rest of the world is working.

I look around and see problems to fix,* I think in part because I have an itch to fix and optimize things. I don't know if this is a healthy lens, but nevertheless I feel it is how I am wired (fortunately I have learned that this is not an appropriate lens when applied to interpersonal relationships). That is why working in the IT field always appealed to me; there are always hard problems to fix. In my current job there aren't really any problems that I can proactively fix; I just sit at a desk and monitor things. Everything is governed by a checklist and a hierarchy of approval processes so I essentially have no agency. I am pursuing leads to transition to other jobs or roles, but I keep my expectations low since my boss has already blocked me once.

* = On a walk today in my NIMBY neighborhood of >$1 million dollar houses, I took a closer look at a few traffic circles with some nice greenery. A great idea to slow traffic and make the neighborhood more pleasant for sure! But they are missing out on two critical things. For one, the circles don't have any trees or large shade plants, which means they can't provide shade for pedestrians during the hottest months. Additionally, this region has a huge issue with storm water runoff, but the green islands are all surrounded by curbs and elevated from the surrounding road. I'm not sure if curb cuts could even fix it because of the poor design. The also bizarrely still use stop signs on one of the cross streets.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@White Belt

Reminded me of a quote I keep handy...
Those who are wise won't be busy and those who are too busy can't be wise - Lin Yutang - The Importance of Living
Perhaps a perspective change is in order of not always trying to be productive, or busy, or engaged, or what have you but to relax. We're all going to the same place anyway ;)

I'll elaborate further....I think it is more important to know how to switch on and off...Times to be busy and "conquer the world" and develop our systems and times to just enjoy the time on this Earth - cliché stuff like hearing the birds chirp. A truly enlightened system will contain both I think.

white belt

Post by white belt »

Lemur wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:34 pm
Perhaps a perspective change is in order of not always trying to be productive, or busy, or engaged, or what have you but to relax. We're all going to the same place anyway ;)

I'll elaborate further....I think it is more important to know how to switch on and off...Times to be busy and "conquer the world" and develop our systems and times to just enjoy the time on this Earth - cliché stuff like hearing the birds chirp. A truly enlightened system will contain both I think.
I am an agreement, so perhaps "engaged" wasn't the right word. I was talking about how I need to be doing something that is exciting to me or gives me something to look forward to for at least some part of my life. That used to be provided by my fulfilling occupation, however at this point I'm not getting much fulfillment. It's the opposite of being burnt out; more like I'm trapped on an endless cruise or vacation where there is nothing to do but sit under a pool umbrella and sip drinks. That might be pretty relaxing to someone who has been stressed or burnt out leading up to that point, but after the initial decompression period, most people will need something to do to maintain their sanity. I can't do 50 years living a Jimmy Buffett song.

I've been working to fill the void by developing other skills like investing/trading, low-energy intensity cooking, and of course continuing to develop my relationship with DGF. Nevertheless, it's a work in progress. I'm consciously tracking my expenses and net worth less frequently because I'm trying to not use financial independence as the fulfillment source (e.g. FI is a means to an end, not the end for me).

Some of this is probably just frustrations associated with having to shift my circadian rhythm every week, which has all sorts of health implications. I wouldn't recommend it. There's a reason sleep disruption is a torture technique.

white belt

Post by white belt »

I tried using a cheapo adjustable cake tin as a pot skirt:

In theory, this should make the electric stovetop I use slightly more efficient because it traps and redirects heat that would otherwise escape up the side of the pan. I haven’t done any A/B tests yet to know if it makes an actual difference in boiling time.

My technique for cooking pasta/ramen has been to bring the water to a boil (1st pic), add the noodles, turn off the stove, and put the pot inside the thermal cooker. The noodles cook the same in a thermal cooker as an open stove in my experience. I then use the residual heat from the electric stove to reheat side dishes as an alternative to using a microwave (2nd pic). Eventually I’d like to scale to using the same techniques with more sustainable cooking heat sources, but for now this is as far as I’ve gotten.

white belt

Post by white belt »

I haven't posted much recently but things are going well. I've spent the last few weeks living with DGF while I attend a class, which is serving as an experiment to see how we do living with each other. DGF and I agree that the experience so far has been positive but we are still working through some issues and adjustments with living with each other. It is quite different then when we each lived in the area in separate apartments and of course different than the long distance we've been doing for the past ~6 months.

Living with DGF has me thinking about what my life will look like after I leave full time employment. As I suspected, I really enjoy living in a house where I can do some handyman stuff and work on my own projects. My skills are quite limited, but so far I've installed a cat door for DGF. Next will be a simple work bench for the garage and installing a new front door that she bought used which happens to be 1/4" too narrow (google says I should just widen it by attaching a wood strip on the hinge side). If we were staying in this house long term, I'd pursue some more aggressive retrofits like adding a screened in porch to the back patio, but I don't think that will be worth it considering she will sell in 2 years.

The living situation also has me thinking about co-housing. It's us two and a tenant in a 1800 sqft house, so not exactly a tight squeeze. Fortunately the master suite has two bathroom sinks and two large closets, so DGF and I sharing the space is relatively straightforward. There is also a balcony that one of us can sit on when we need fresh air or privacy from the other. Now I understand a lot of the concepts in Retrosuburbia and The Permaculture Handbook about the need for both private/autonomous space and shared space. The tenant has his own bedroom and bathroom tucked away on the opposite end of the house to the master suite.

On the financial front, I haven't been tracking my expenses super closely over the last couple of months. I don't think my spending has drifted much higher than my usual ~$2k a month that has held steady due in part to my HCOL rent ($800). My portfolio is doing pretty well despite the recent SPX and bond correction, in part because those holdings make up <50% of my portfolio and my long commodity trend following exposure has kept things afloat.

white belt

Post by white belt »

I’ve been able to spend a few days home alone for the first time in a month. It’s given me time to think but also revealed that I’m feeling a bit listless again.

First off, there are a lot of things going well. I am very satisfied about my relationship with DGF. We passed the monthlong cohabitating test with flying colors. Although we did have some issues, we were able to work through them as adults and still think we have a shared future together. We both are willing to do the work to continue to develop our relationship.

What I’m less certain about is where to go next. I feel a bit limited and trapped by my current career. I’ve lamented many times about the shift work and my current location, so I won’t rehash all that again. I’d quit tomorrow if I could, but I’m locked in for another 2 years. In the best-case scenario, I can do an internship for the last 6 months of that, which means another 1.5 years. I never thought I’d be thte guy counting down the days until he can leave the Army and yet here I am. Having all my friends and family living in one location, DGF living in another location, and me stuck in between in a third location has been frustrating.

I need to figure out what excites me because quite frankly, my off days when I’m not traveling are pretty dull. Hell, 75% of the time I spend at the office is also dull because I am basically not doing anything. Living with DFG was helpful because we could do things together and there was work to be done around the house.

I’ve always liked solving puzzles and thinking strategically. This first manifested itself when I was a kid playing various tabletop games that involved quite a bit of strategy (MTG and WH40k). Then I went to college and became interested in the Army and studying computer science. Both of these provided changing environments to apply my problem solving skills. I studied Mandarin, which also forced me into novel situations that stretched my brain while speaking with people in China.

In my Army career, I was also fortunate that my first few assignments scratched the same itch. I was maneuvering real life Soldiers against human enemies (in training). In the process, I discovered why sports have so many battlefield analogies. The Army incorporates physical and intellectual aspects together more than anything I’ve ever done. Later, I was helping to design cutting edge technologies, using real combat and warzones as some of my many testbeds to tinker. I found that I was quite good at analyzing situations and coming up with ideas that no one had tried before. I was also good at bridging between the nerds and the jocks, to use a rather crude analogy.

However, over the past two years, my career trajectory has shifted. I spent a year getting IT certifications and retooling some of my technical skills in an academic environment. I’ve spent the last year in a cookie-cutter shiftwork job where everything is done based on a checklist. I’ve tried to apply myself in the workplace towards projects that I find more rewarding and better utilize my skillset, but largely the shiftwork and bureaucratic structure means there is little impact I’ve been able to have so far. That means I am forced to search outside of my job for such stimulation.

So what excites me at the moment?

Markets
Recently, markets are one of the few things I’ve found that provide a novel environment to rack my brain against. I’ve dipped my toes into trading with a few different methods, but I’m still a newbie and don’t feel like I have solidified any sort of strategy. I do have a few rules do deal with the personal/emotional aspects of trading that I’ve picked up from reading and my own experience, however I don’t feel confident that I can actually generate alpha consistently. I’ve made it about halfway through Jacob’s finance curriculum, so I probably just should continue reading and learning in the short term. I listen to interviews with a lot of different macro thinkers and traders to stretch my perspective and give me a feel for how others see the world.

I’d like to do an experiment with more active trading. I don’t think I’ll become a day trader, but I do want to try putting on some shorter term trades that last a few days to weeks. I’m unsure if this is the right timeline for my temperament, but I sure do have a lot of time at work and at home to research/think about such things at this point. I’m wary of the fact that the hours spent learning/trading does not have a proportional payoff like a salary job. I could read for 1000 hours and execute 1000 trades but still end up being a terrible trader.

I'm open to suggestions and comments.

white belt

Post by white belt »

A bit of a rant to follow.

I've heard a lot about how weddings are so expensive. I understand that the wedding industry is enormous and that social media has fueled a wedding spending arms race. Honestly, I think spending massive quantities of money on a wedding is stupid, however I understand that is ultimately the prerogative of the couple and their respective families.

However, what I didn't realize until now is that attending a wedding is so expensive. I am in the wedding party so between bachelor party, flight, hotel, tux rental, and gift it looks like I'm going to spend $2-2.5k! That's ~10% of my annual expenses (.25 JAFI) on basically 2 weekends of festivities. That doesn't even include costs of DGF traveling as my date. I figure that lifelong friendships are probably more important than making waves about the one time cost of a wedding that I can easily afford, but I still find the whole thing a little absurd. I project I will have to attend at least one wedding a year with similar expenses for the next 3 years.

andy

Post by andy »

If you enjoy the markets, you will most likely enjoy trading. Just treat it like a challenging hobby. Budget for it. I personally love it. I think a good way to look at is: Musicians typically enjoy making music even before they make money. Same with artists, designers, pretty much any hobby that has the potential to turn a profit at some point. I've been trading actively for about two years now, but mostly just small dollars and also in SIM depending on the day. I plan on doing it for years to come even if I end up breaking even in the end.

I view the markets as one big strategy game and it's mostly fun, as long as you don't lose too much money. If you size your risk correctly and stick to your pre-defined stops, you can trade forever. You might make millions, break even, or take a small loss, but eventually, you will figure out how to at least break-even just by finding out what NOT to do through trial and error. I would say, you learn a lot more by doing it than you will ever learn from some book. I read a lot of them at first. A lot of people quit after the first year or so because it can be quite challenging and maybe they risked more than they should. Trade small dollars at first, then the hard lessons don't hurt as much.

Figuring out your style of trading is half the fun, but everyone is unique. I personally like going for the base hits instead of the home runs. Winning a higher percentage of trades allows you to build confidence. If you are going to try your luck with futures, do SIM (fake money) first. You can still treat it like the real thing. You should be able to consistently make money in SIM before going live. It will save you a ton of money. I would also recommend starting on micros (MES) if you do futures trading. The beauty of futures is you don't have to worry about time decay like options, or any of the other weird stuff in the options pricing model. If you think it's going up, click buy, going down, click sell. Simple.

I use Ninjatrader and a lot of people I know that trade and actually make money use Ninjatrader. Start with MES and just learn one market. Don't mess around with oil, and all the other futures. SP500 is the most predictable of them all. The others can be too volatile and you will need a huge stop loss. Don't spend too much time finding the perfect indicator. Pretty much, you just need to worry about support and resistance. If it's a range day, fade the big price levels. If it's a trend day, stay with the trend.

If you are going the chart reading route, you need to know about volume profile, big price levels (yesterday high, low, close, market open, opening range, POC or point of control, overnight high and low), a few other things like VWAP. I wouldn't spend too much time on RSI, MACD, Bollinger Bands, and moving averages. I'm guessing some people can make money using them. They are too unreliable for me. I look at economic stuff for my long-term holdings in my brokerage/retirement accounts but for day trading you pretty much just need a chart and to know when the big reports come out (I avoid trading during those as they are unpredictable reactions most of the time).

Good luck to you! If you find yourself not enjoying it or stressing too much, then you can reevaluate. Demo (SIM) costs you nothing.

white belt

Post by white belt »

Alex Gurevich wrote: There are different kinds of traders. For some, making money is a vehicle to support their lifestyle and their families. For others, myself included, the market is a game.

Don't misunderstand that. I take games very seriously. I have put in many thousands of hours studying various games, including Go, chess, and poker. I don't just play - I am not a civilian. Where games are concerned, I read books, I study strategies, I get professional coaching, I think of valuation functions as I go to sleep.

My true life is conducted in what I call the strategic space. My identity is very closely wrapped into my portfolio performance, and my greatest professional fear is letting my investors down.

I have been asked on occasion, would I do what I do if I weren't paid for it? The answer is, "Absolutely yes, in some form or another." What do you think I do in my spare time? I play strategic resource management games, which are essentially the same as my day job.

Excerpt from The Trades of 2020: A Shield Against Uncertainty
Last edited by white belt on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaz

Post by shaz »

Is changing career direction while in the Army for the next 2 years an option? Being bored is an easy habit to get into and it sounds like you don't necessarily need the money that comes with your current specialty but I am not sure how difficult it is to get a change.

shelob

Post by shelob »

Hello white belt,
I always read your posts on this site attentively and I was especially impressed by how well your early posts on the Ukraine situation aged and by your ability to make a profit based on your understanding. I think I remember an older post where you mentioned how you generally look at many issues through a military perspective. I was wondering if you could recommend any books or other resources to develop that perspective. (I had zero need for big picture thinking when I worked in a warship's engine department, but as my transfer request for working in a combat information center got approved, there's a chance that that might change soon.) I would really appreciate any and all recommendations.
Thank you for all your posts on this site and the many insights you've shared. I've learned a great deal from you.

white belt

Post by white belt »

shelob wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:54 am
Hello white belt,
I always read your posts on this site attentively and I was especially impressed by how well your early posts on the Ukraine situation aged and by your ability to make a profit based on your understanding. I think I remember an older post where you mentioned how you generally look at many issues through a military perspective. I was wondering if you could recommend any books or other resources to develop that perspective. (I had zero need for big picture thinking when I worked in a warship's engine department, but as my transfer request for working in a combat information center got approved, there's a chance that that might change soon.) I would really appreciate any and all recommendations.
Thank you for all your posts on this site and the many insights you've shared. I've learned a great deal from you.
The 2 most common books that military strategists read are Art of War and Clausewitz's On War, although I'm not sure if military strategy is what you are after. It is not all that important to understand strategy for most junior military jobs. Serving in the military will probably give you practitioner level knowledge in some specific field, which might be more useful than what you can get out of timeless texts on military strategy.
Last edited by white belt on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

white belt

Post by white belt »

80% of warfare can be summed up with the following excerpt from Art of War (but really just read the whole thing):
Sun Tzu wrote:18. All warfare is based on deception.

19. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.

20. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.

21. If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him.

22. If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.

23. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them.

24. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.

25. These military devices, leading to victory, must not be divulged beforehand.

26. Now the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought. The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand. Thus do many calculations lead to victory, and few calculations to defeat: how much more no calculation at all! It is by attention to this point that I can foresee who is likely to win or lose.
http://classics.mit.edu/Tzu/artwar.html

shelob

Post by shelob »

Thank you for the recommendations, I will read them.

You're right, the currently most important skill for my new job is making our outdated radar provide the best possible image for the environment we happen to be operating in, and learning to interpret the blips on said radar screen.

I do have some exposure in my new job to why we do what we are doing, and even if it doesn't directly affect my job performance, I'm trying to gain understanding and insight that will benefit me in other life areas, mostly, as you are doing, in general understanding/worldly wisdom and investing.

Your post which impressed me in particular was this:
white belt wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:38 pm

Events of the past 48 hours
-Russia stages public TV event where Putin agrees that diplomacy is still important
-Russia announces they are returning troops to home base
-NATO and Western Allies say they see no evidence that Russian troops are withdrawing
-Russia targets Ukrainian financial and government institutions with cyber attack

At this time, I am handicapping the likelihood of a Russian invasion of Ukraine at about 90%. That is up from 80-85% I was feeling yesterday. Putin is following textbook Russian tactics up to this point. The cyber attack today is what put me over the edge, as it is typically a first operation immediately prior to a larger Russian military action. Early reporting is that the cyber attack was only a DOS, however that could easily be a screen for a far more sophisticated attack. Perhaps we will see the first large scale ransomware attack integrated with military operations ("You will be able to access your money again as long as you support your newly elected president"). Russia's military is the best in the world at complex hybrid warfare across all domains. Ubiquitous smartphones and social media coverage will show the world sides of war it has never seen.

white belt

Post by white belt »

@Shelob

Well only some of my predictions in that post ended up coming to fruition. However, you can easily see how some of the events of those 48 hours fit into paragraphs 18-20 and 25 from Art of War.

shelob

Post by shelob »

In retrospect, I can see that connection, yet I would definitely not have been able to make that prediction. Thanks again for taking the time to respond, and wishing you the best of luck with changing your current job situation. I've got nothing insightful to say on that front, except maybe that sometimes opportunities present themselves where we didn't expect them if we keep our eyes open.

white belt

Post by white belt »

I haven't been posting much on the forums recently, so I figure it would be good to give an update.

Not much has changed in my overall situation since my last updates in May. I'm still in the same job working on the same brutal rotating shift schedule. My attempt to move to another section was blocked by my boss's boss for the second time in less than a year, so I don't think that will lead anywhere. My boss has talked about moving me off shift work at some point, so I'm hopeful that will be in the next few months. I have a doctor's appointment in a couple of weeks so it's possible that at some point I will get disability pay if I have lasting sleep disturbances due to the last 14 months. I am suffering the typical negative health effects associated with shift work sleep disorder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_work_sleep_disorder

My job still brings me very little fulfillment. Over the past few months I started playing Magic: The Gathering for the first time since I was a kid. This has helped to give me an outlet for my analytical brain and given me a hobby that I can do myself at pretty much anytime (I mostly play online), which works well with my irregular schedule. My fitness routine has fallen off quite a bit due to the shift work; I have trouble getting in a rhythm and I often feel lethargic.

Things are going well with DGF, but there is already angst hanging over us about the residency match process. DGF will graduate medical school around the same time that I get out of the Army, but neither of us like the lack of control associated with the whole process. We would both prefer to return to my hometown where I have a strong social network, but unfortunately it seems like getting into a residency program in a specific location is very difficult, even if that location is a large city with countless programs and DGF is a very competitive applicant. It will be very tough for me to have to move to a new location where I have no social network after getting out of the Army and DGF realizes that as well. We're still a year out from interview season so this isn't an issue that will be resolved anytime soon.

In terms of finances, I checked my net worth the other day and it's pretty much flat compared to a few months ago. I'm sitting on a lot of cash so I'm quite insulated towards further stock market corrections. My spending has been a bit higher the past few months, mostly due to eating out and some trips. I haven't been tracking things closely but my spending may have ballooned to ~$3k a month.

I haven't been thinking about ERE stuff all that much. I think part of that is just due to feeling a bit trapped in my job so I turn to MTG as an escape. I haven't read any books in awhile.