Something From Nothing Log

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
davtheram12

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by davtheram12 »

My best friend contacted me yesterday asking if I'd like to have his small collection of video games and consoles. He said he was getting rid of items to make space for his gf who would be moving in soon. Gladly! From what he's told me I'll be getting a complete Xbox 360, PS2, PS3, Nintendo Gameboy color, Nintendo Gameboy advance, and a Nintendo DS. Each will be coming with games, some still in their original boxes. He sent me some pictures and I was blown away! One game alone recently sold, complete in the box, for $350 on ebay :o I don't think I can willingly accept so many goodies for free. Although it would have been a very nice Something From Nothing I think I'll give him some money. I can easily sell a few of the items to recoup the money Id give him. Now determining how much to give him is going to rack my brain a little. I'm cheap but I want to make sure he's happy with the exchange :mrgreen:

Quadalupe

Post by Quadalupe »

You can also take him out to dinner/drinks or something a few times to show your appreciation. It sounds like he doesn't particularly care about the $$$ (or he doesn't know the value of what he's giving you), so he might appreciate a fun event with you more!

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Quadalupe wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:53 pm
[H]e might appreciate a fun event with you more!
That's a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Ego wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:00 pm
I just submitted it to Sotheby's and Christy's.
Once again they declined both paintings. Strangely, not long after being declined I received offers for each of them through ebay for about 20% of my asking price. I wonder if the "experts" have a scam going on. I am asking absurd amounts for them so 20% isn't unreasonable but I countered with 10% discount. We shall see where this goes. They look good on the wall so there is no rush.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Ego wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:45 pm
The tenant left a working iPhone SE on top of the trash. I don't have the passcode. No idea if I can sell it...
Your painting stories are interesting. Sounds fun. My sister bought a bunch of paintings in the 90s from a gallery in NYC. Cost her a few thousand each. I saw my BIL load them into his truck and take them to goodwill twenty years later after she moved to CA and they didn’t match her new look. I almost asked for them but they all look kind of the same to my untrained eye. That is really cool that you and Mrs. Ego can see hidden value in these things.

You can plug the phone into a pc running iTunes and reset the phone to factory settings. If it is iCloud locked (the bane of refurbishers) or still logged in as the tenant’s phone at iCloud.com, the easiest is to contact the tenant and ask them to log in and remove the phone from their account. You’re in kind of a unique position to do this since you probably have their contact info. Not sure of the value though.

I have 3 SE phones currently on Mint Mobile. I really like them. Still not completely obsolete. Easy to change batteries too so they’re rebuildable for the time being.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Thanks @Sclass!

I gave the phone to a friend who has tipped me off to a few paintings recently. He refurbs them and resells them so found its way to the right person.

I have avoided iTunes since the music library deletion debacle.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8189516

Ego

Post by Ego »

Sclass wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:32 pm
I saw my BIL load them into his truck and take them to goodwill twenty years later after she moved to CA and they didn’t match her new look.
Been thinking about this all day. Next time you see her please thank her for me.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Yeah that’s my high income low wealth sister I talk about. She has serious problems. Makes good money but pisses it all away. She’s managed to look okay, great actually, up to now. I suspect it’s all fake. I recall when she bought those paintings she told my folks they were an investment.

While I think it’s horrible that people don’t value their life energy and willingly allow others to capitalize off their buy high sell low behavior, I guess that’s what makes the world go ‘round.

She is in your area so who knows, you might come across her stuff.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Sclass wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:11 pm
While I think it’s horrible that people don’t value their life energy and willingly allow others to capitalize off their buy high sell low behavior, I guess that’s what makes the world go ‘round.
I used to let those type of people bother me but as I've gotten older I realized it likely comes from a lack of foresight. Back up plans on contingencies are vital but most assume things won't change (e.g. high paying job now, high paying job in the future; comfort now, comfort in the future, etc). Maybe that comes with age and wisdom but sadly I think that is more of an exception to the rule.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

I eventually met up with my buddy who was previously going to give me all of his childhood video game collection. I told him I didn't feel right taking so many valuables so I gave him some money for many of the items. I convinced him to keep some of it because it seemed like he had a lot of sentimental value attached to it. It was heartwarming hearing his stories. I think he was so focused on making space for his GF that he was just willing to get rid of everything without a second thought.

Didn't stop me from selling things I knew he or I didn't care about :lol: Within 24 hours I sold the broken Xbox 360 console for $15 and an empty Nintendo Gameboy Advance SP box + inserts for $40. That's the second time I've sold an empty Nintendo Gameboy box. I still can't wrap my head around people buying empty boxes. The whole situation was definitely not Something from Nothing since I gave him money. I'd say selling cardboard and paper may count since it's typically trash after a new product has been purchased.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Just guessing, but collectors might want a box to combine with a cartridge they already have. Either they just want a complete collection or the value of their cart increases by more than the cost of your box so it makes financial sense. Original purchasers probably often threw away the boxes so they may be rare compare to the carts. Apparently this is common for record album collecting.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Gilberto de Piento wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:34 am
Original purchasers probably often threw away the boxes so they may be rare compare to the carts.
Definitely the case as I recall with vivid memory throwing similar boxes away as a kid. After all they were cardboard and took up too much space. I wonder what current cardboard items will have a lot of value in the future.

CDR

Post by CDR »

I never threw out the boxes for my video games as a kid, and people thought this was a strange, hoarding-like behavior. Although I did not realize that it would be worth more money, my thinking was I wanted the complete video game, and you get more then just the video game itself when you buy it, so it made sense to me to keep the box, manual, etc.

This seems to be a thought process many collectors have now, so that helped me get more value out of my collection. Who knows if keeping the boxes all that time was actually worth it though.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Tenant left another microwave. Mrs. Ego has listed it on CL

For a few years now I've been digging through the Amazon returns section at the swap meet looking for one of these crypto wallet seed phrase backup things with no luck. Finally gave up and decided to make one when I found this oil dropper for $3 that is similar.

In order to stamp the seed phrases I needed letter punches. I found this set in a pile of rusted tools. It was rusted into a single brick. I chiseled them apart and gave them a once over with the wire wheel on my grinder. Paid $1. When the project is finished I will sell them on ebay. They generally go for about $20 so I will definitely cover the cost of the project.

ImageImage

A few days ago one of our local tweekers used his crackhead strength to shred the aluminum No Loitering sign from the restaurant next door. I found this half in our vestibule.

Cut it with tin snips, drilled a hole, stamped the words and I have a something-from-nothing crypto steel.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Went through the alleyway behind my apartment Wednesday night and found a trash bag filled with Nike athletic clothing, a pair of Dr. Marten boots and a pair of Nike Air Force 1 shoes. Other than a thin layer of dust and some light surface mud (located on the soles) the boots and shoes were nearly new. I took the boots and shoes and left the clothing. Cleaned them up and managed to sell the boots within an hour of listing for $60. I haven't sold the shoes yet, since I had to leave for a trip, but I have at least 6 buyers willing to pay $60 once I get back into town. I love these types of finds and sales :roll:

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Finally sold the Nike Air Force shoes for $57 through Mercari. With their fee structure I will net ~$49. I would have preferred an in-person exchange through OfferUp but at 100% profit, Im happy. Seemed that those who previously showed interest were less apt to wait until I got back from my short vacation. On my way out to the recycle bin, to source a shipping box, I found a few more goodies that were thrown out. I found a 6 quart Presto pressure cooker in like-new condition, a 2011 Sylvania LCD 720p TV and a pair of brown cow hide full grain leather boots. I should be able to sell the pressure cooker for $30 (since I sold the exact one previously) and the TV for about $25. Luckily the leather boots are in my size and although they are very dusty, they will clean up nicely. They looked like they were sitting for years. The dust was so thick, I couldn't make out the condition of the boots toe box or welt :shock:

Ego

Post by Ego »

Ego wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:49 pm
Three massive trash bags full of clothing and other stuff in the trash today. Mrs. Ego went through it with a fine tooth comb. She sorted a few piles. Rags. Keep. Give to the cleaner. Sell.
Mrs. Ego kept most of the clothing from these bags and wears them all the time. The young woman who left them is a mid-twenties professional and had a lot of disposable income that she spent freely on very expensive unique clothing. This morning we were walking though a street fair when a woman sitting at a table halted her conversation mid-sentence to compliment Mrs. Ego on a pair of embroidered pants. When we got out of earshot Mrs. Ego said, "They are from the (tenants last name) boutique".

Just a few minutes ago the previous tenant texted Mrs. Ego from Austin. She had moved there back in May when all of the cool people where insta-posting from the land of the free. Reality has set in. She want to come back.

Sadly we are full.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Ego wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:13 pm
Just a few minutes ago the previous tenant texted Mrs. Ego from Austin. She had moved there back in May when all of the cool people where insta-posting from the land of the free. Reality has set in. She want to come back.

Sadly we are full.
Sounds like an instance of the 'grass is greener on the other side'. I suppose it's easy to get sucked into the hype surrounding social media :?

Ego

Post by Ego »

davtheram12 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:30 pm
Sounds like an instance of the 'grass is greener on the other side'. I suppose it's easy to get sucked into the hype surrounding social media :?
I think you are right. A version of grass is greener mixed with social media induced perpetual fomo.

C40

Post by C40 »

This guys is walking around with a few sheep. With permission from landowners, his sheep eat their grass/plants. He gets their milk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U54HRmglYEA