Anyone use Yahoo for automated stock quotes?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
skintstudent

Anyone use Yahoo for automated stock quotes?

Post by skintstudent »

I've been having problems of late obtaining quotes from Yahoo. I'm using KMyMoney (linux) to scrape the data, but sometimes prices come back in pounds and sometimes in pence. Obviously this is a right royal pain and requires a lot of manual intervention to fix my tracking. It happens with all of my limited range of stocks, for example VWRL.L ETF.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? If so have you found a solution? I've not managed to find anything about this in online searches.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Anyone use Yahoo for automated stock quotes?

Post by jacob »

Yahoo Finance has an API for getting the data. See http://www.jarloo.com/yahoo_finance/

I've never had issues with conversion factors using that. Dealing with dirty data is a big part of the job description when doing quantitative analysis, so don't expect too much.

skintstudent

Post by skintstudent »

Thanks for the info. Will see if I can use the API - at least it should help locate the problem.

sharons59

Post by sharons59 »

Yes, I never had any issue with the Yahoo Finance API. Using it is pretty straightforward. I'm not too much if a techie so this works for me.

skintstudent

Post by skintstudent »

@jacob @sharons59

Thanks for the info. I had a better look at this last night and have now got a bookmark set up to return the data I want in .csv format I have set up my spreadsheet to be able to use it. Of course the kmymoney scrapes have been fine since my post. I now have a method of checking next time something looks odd in it.

Chris

Post by Chris »

If you use LibreOffice, there's also an extension available: https://github.com/madsailor/SMF-Extension

skintstudent

Post by skintstudent »

@Chris

Thanks. I've tried it. Unfortunately it supports limited markets and the UK LSE isn't one of the chosen few.

skintstudent

Post by skintstudent »

Problem occurred again today on one of my ETFs, so I used the API. It looks like it is Yahoo's fault after all. I guess I need to use a different source.