A Different Perspective of Walden

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Noided

Re: A Different Perspective of Walden

Post by Noided »

fiby41 wrote: Disclaimer: I didn't complete the book in part because it read like a collection of random aphorisms thought when rambling meanderings, that ultimately lead nowhere.
I am currently reading a portion of Thoreau's Walden (it is a little book of 100 pages, translated into portuguese - hey, my parents had it around the house) and I am reaching the same conclusion as you, 70 pages in. I have a hard time focusing on the book because he spends 1 or 2 pages talking about the fauna and flaura and than continues with the narrative. Also, the message he is trying to convey is like watering the ocean to me. It's just "I agree, I agree, I agree, next". It is not thought provoking at all.

On the other hand I still haven't developed that ability to just quit a book. I am "afraid" that the best part is still to come and that I will miss it. Do you guys also deal with this?

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Noided wrote:
fiby41 wrote: On the other hand I still haven't developed that ability to just quit a book. I am "afraid" that the best part is still to come and that I will miss it. Do you guys also deal with this?
I'm not good at that either. In fact, I'm the opposite, if I like a book I feel compelled to read ALL their work. This OCD has got the best of me for 3 authors until now :roll: , but I digress...

One workaround I have found is having a lot of options open. A to-read list, some of those books around/easily accessible, so when you find a bad book, you can drop it immediately or until you are better prepared for it.

Dragline has wisdom for people like us:
Dragline wrote: I won't automatically exclude reading anything, but I might not read it for very long. The worst reading habit anyone can have is feeling compelled to finish bad books/writings, especially when you can probably find a five minute internet summary.
viewtopic.php?t=7598#p114342

Noided

Post by Noided »

I think I really have to start doing that. The emotional part is the hardest. In my head I am giving up something before I finish it, which is associated with failure.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

The fear of missing out is real.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

A short (50pp) primer on Thoreau for those who can't get through Walden. (PDF is pay-what-you-want)

http://simplicitycollective.com/just-en ... -economics