Choose city for Career Mobility first

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
JamesR

Choose city for Career Mobility first

Post by JamesR »

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... _page=true

So basically if you're at the beginning of your career/savings for ERE, it might make sense to choose to live somewhere expensive initially while focusing on career mobility.

For instance, could level up in expensive to "senior" type job, then relocate to cheaper city while keeping the seniority/job title. e.g. Work in SF, relocate to Chicago. ;)

SimpleLife

Re: Choose city for Career Mobility first

Post by SimpleLife »

I've actually posted about this and agree. It makes more sense to live in a HCOL area during the accumulation phase then relocate to a lower cost of living area for retirement. This works especially well if you own your own home, which will likely be very expensive in these HCOL areas. When you sell you downsize and buy a small house for 60-125K somewhere else. Heck, in almost any state you can do this just by driving 2+ hours away from the major cities. You don't even really have to relocate out of your own state.

I'm really eyeballing Spokane as a retirement location. Living in Seattle, the cost of housing there is much cheaper, 50% or more discounted off the prices in the Seattle area. You can even buy a house for 100K in a decent area. Made possible in part to living in a HCOL area with major career opportunities.

fiby41

Re: Choose city for Career Mobility first

Post by fiby41 »

Most people where I live are here because they got selected through various civil service exams...

The colony houses state government employees on rent basis. I would guess, whatever their designation maybe, they wouldn't be able to afford an apartment even in the post-suburbs.

Almost all return back to their native place after they retire along with their families.