The movie theatre experience

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
George the original one

The movie theatre experience

Post by George the original one »

"The Martian" drew me into the theatre for the first time in many years. How many years? Uh, at least 5 years, but not more than 10.

Prices didn't scare me, though I find it very odd that the concession stand prices have really odd amounts requiring pennies for the transactions. Not talking about $2.99 and such, rather it was the $3.07 or $3.18. From my point of view of living in a state without sales tax and paying with cash, this just doesn't make sense. They might as well take it to the nickel, dime, or quarter.

What really struck me, however, was how the 20 minute seating time is now filled with commercials. And commercials for things that I don't normally see advertised. Yahoo News (Katie Couric), Showtime (new series), and something-else-that-didn't-make-an-impression dominated. Interspersed with public service announcements. Used to be this was filled with a slide show of local advertising for about 10 minutes.

Did I get value? Yes, I think so. "The Martian" begged to be viewed on a very large screen in a comfortable seat with a sticky floor. That's what I paid for and got, for about the same cost as the DVD. Plus the popcorn. Now I have to decide if I want the DVD...

dalralmi

Re: The movie theatre experience

Post by dalralmi »

Interestingly enough the Martian got me into the theatre for the first time in a long time as well although I have a fairly cheap theatre around me. I've been told that the penny numbers make your brain interpret it as something else. I'm curious to know all the pricing schemes to know if because pennies are "inconvenient" if these prices aren't there to try and persuade you to buy something with more "standard pricing."

I've done studies on how a "medium" drink is never sold and they purposely charge it in such a way to ALWAYS make you buy a Large. (namely making the large only like 25 cents more) There are also certain restaurants that have Mediums on their menus, but actually don't have medium cups because they legitimately never sell that size. There could also be psychology here that if the numbers are off your brain interprets it as a whole number instead. $3.07 is actually "only 3 dollars" in your brain so they are making an extra 7 cents off of you. Once they hit $3.25 though you might be less willing to pay.

Also now that the world uses cards for most transactions all prices are less inconvenient. I tend to like when my prices are random so I can get rid of my loose change.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

LOL, I just realized that my price comparison doesn't make sense unless you know that it was 2 people (wife came along)!

GandK

Post by GandK »

G and I discussed movie theaters just this morning. We love going to the movies but rarely do it... between Redbox and Netflix, we get whatever we want to see for a dollar, eventually. So now we only go to the theater to see big explosions on a big screen.

Anyway, alongside the evil Cheesecake Factory that's going in up the road will be a CinéBistro, which is just what it sounds like. We saw the billboard for it this morning, and we just looked at one another and laughed. Good Lord, we both have problems now when people make food noises in the theater... only think what happens when you add knives and forks and waiters. The one potentially good thing, though: most CinéBistros have age restrictions on people under 21 because they serve alcohol. Not sure whether this one will yet. But when we do get a date night without our own kids, we're frequently scouting around for places to go that we're unlikely to be seated beside somebody else's.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

I hate going to movies. We went to 2 this holidays. The first cost $80. There was 2 adults and 4 kids but that is expensive. The second cost $50 but we had a free voucher.

I can't justify the cost but my wife and kids like going.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

We went to see the new Avengers movie this summer in one of the new, fancy theaters. The reclining seats were something else. I wouldn't like them if I were young though. How are you supposed to neck in those chairs when you're so far away from each other?!

dalralmi

Post by dalralmi »

I've been lucky with theaters near me. Growing up we had a theatre that didn't advertise it but would allow outside food in. We use to go get fast food and carry it in without hiding it and eat that instead of concession food. It definitely made it cheaper. The next place I moved had a theatre that had 4 dollar matinees and still does which is really cheap for me in general for going to the movies especially when it's just me.

I have an older theatre near me here that only has one screen that has intimate dinner seating at it with little phones at each table. You pick up the phone and whisper your dinner order before the movie and other than needing refills you aren't interrupted while the movie is playing. The waiters bring you your food without comment and you pay your bill in silence as well. It's also fairly cheap although a one item minimum per person. The atmosphere though is fantastically fun occasionally.

I can't imagine trying to bring a family to the theatre these days. My family growing up had 4 kids and we were cheap. We always snuck in our own food so the idea of paying for concession is just insane to me. Other than tickets which were only allowed to go for matinees that was it. I could probably get a family of four around me to the movie for less than 30 dollars with one giant drink to share.

Chad

Post by Chad »

jennypenny wrote:We went to see the new Avengers movie this summer in one of the new, fancy theaters. The reclining seats were something else. I wouldn't like them if I were young though. How are you supposed to neck in those chairs when you're so far away from each other?!
Where those movies you made out in Talkies?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Pipe down, whippersnapper! Be respectful of your elders. :P

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

No, it was a drive-in I'm sure.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Its really expensive here in the UK. £11.50 for a 3D ticket + £1.50 surcharge for the glasses for full paying adult. Looks like our local plex got upgraded with fancy electric leather recliners too. Tickets for standard showings after 7pm with membership card (free) are £5.50 which is reasonable. I usually take my own water and a bag of home made toffee popcorn (tastes better!).

I went to see the Martian too. I must say I enjoyed the overall experience, particularly the Star Wars trailer, but I don't intend to make a habit of it at that price. I may go again in December to see SW, but there are not many films that will get me in at that price. One of the benefits of having the 50" plasma (haven't the heart to downgrade, it was a gift, don't judge me ;)) is that movie nights don't often involve the cinema. :lol:

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

I saw Jurassic World in theaters this summer. IIRC, it was about $25 for two tickets to the 3D matinee. That was the last time I'd been to the theater since whenever the first Hobbit movie came out (which was bad enough to dissuade me from seeing the next two in theaters). The last movie theater trip before that was probably whenever Return of the King came out or a Star Wars Episode 3 or something. Seriously, like a decade ago...

Honestly, the prices alone aren't that bad IMO, but the added inconvenience of driving somewhere, being surrounded by other people and their unpredictable noise levels, not being able to pause for bathroom breaks, not having control of the volume (some of us aren't deaf yet and would like to keep it that way!), etc... all that adds up.

This is why I paid $600 for a big flat screen. We have watched far more than the 20ish movies required to justify the cost. I'm a patient fellow and when it comes to most things, I don't mind waiting for it to come to Netflix or the library.

Heard great things about The Martian. I look forward to his arrival on Netflix. Actually, I'll probably just read the book. :D

Ydobon

Post by Ydobon »

I don't mind a trip to the cinema, we take advantage of offers to bring our average cost down to somewhere in the region of £3/person for an adult ticket. Haven't seen much since Jurassic World, although Star Wars is eagerly awaited. Heck, we even buy our snacks in the lobby from time to time (vexed's comments re. DIY popcorn made me laugh, I can't begrudge our local £1 store their fee for a bag of 'convenience' toffee popcorn that I don't have to make) :)

12b-6

Post by 12b-6 »

Spartan_Warrior wrote: Honestly, the prices alone aren't that bad IMO, but the added inconvenience of driving somewhere, being surrounded by other people and their unpredictable noise levels, not being able to pause for bathroom breaks, not having control of the volume (some of us aren't deaf yet and would like to keep it that way!), etc... all that adds up.

This is why I paid $600 for a big flat screen. We have watched far more than the 20ish movies required to justify the cost. I'm a patient fellow and when it comes to most things, I don't mind waiting for it to come to Netflix or the library.
This is the way I went. We have a tiny spare bedroom in our house that is a dedicated home theater space. I built speakers and acoustical panels, and bought a used plasma TV (room is too small for a projector). Now my setup looks and sounds better than the theaters I've been to, and there are none of the accompanying hassles.

Too much work and money if you're not obsessed with movies, but I could never go back.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

@ydobon, if you've never had proper homemade popcorn you're missing out ;)