IQ Test

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: IQ Test

Post by jacob »

Ahh ... that list .. I'm still weirded out from that because the only things I haven't done on that list yet is to "dress a chicken, change a diaper, and know the local drug scene". Pretty sure that Big Data (as well as GandK, a famous "what not to buy at WMT at the same time"-strategist) would draw overly weird conclusions here :-D

I'm not describing anything lofty ABOVE though ... just a "naive" method for turning questionnaires (of which any IQ test is just another instance) into numbers.

Maybe we (by which I mean you, thanks for volunteering :mrgreen: ) should devise such a questionnaire?

BTW, for a long time, I wanted to create the ERE version of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek_Code
Unfortunately they seem to have patented/copyrighted the @$#$@ out of this idea?! :-P (Right, anyone?, Dragline?)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I did fiddle around once with a questionnaire intended to measure a person's aptitude for ERE. Sort of an ERE scouting combine. I suppose it could be modified to score a person's ERE IQ. I guess what you're trying to measure is the person's ability to effectively apply their intelligence to achieve free agency.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Yes!

... if I can do that without violating anyone's IP :-P

Quadalupe

Post by Quadalupe »

Well, the MBTI can be used as to produce naive aptitude measurement for ERE right? :P

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'll know the test works if this guy fails it LOL. Amazingly, the piece is called "7 Ways to Be Debt-Free for the Rest of Your Life." I understand the message to focus on earning more, but this guy seems to equate it with spending more. How does that improve a person's situation?

"When you purchase items from the luxury market, no matter how small it is, you will automatically feel richer. For instance, every week, I went to Pier 1 to buy gold forks. As I began to accumulate more superior products, my self-esteem increased, which affected my bank account."

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

jennypenny wrote:I'll know the test works if this guy fails it LOL. Amazingly, the piece is called "7 Ways to Be Debt-Free for the Rest of Your Life." I understand the message to focus on earning more, but this guy seems to equate it with spending more. How does that improve a person's situation?

"When you purchase items from the luxury market, no matter how small it is, you will automatically feel richer. For instance, every week, I went to Pier 1 to buy gold forks. As I began to accumulate more superior products, my self-esteem increased, which affected my bank account."
I just read some of that link. It makes me want to go out and punch that guy hard in the head. I don't want a whole bunch of crap in my life. I mean FFS gold forks.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

steveo73 wrote: I just read some of that link. It makes me want to go out and punch that guy hard in the head.
Doesn't that hurt your fist?

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

I'm sure everyone is being honest on their posts.

Kayakmom

Post by Kayakmom »

I answered them all wrong and got 98.
This scoring is not accurate.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

jacob wrote:PS: FWIW, I scored 134 on the Mensa test above. I bet several of you can do better than that, especially JasonR ;-).
I got 128 on Jacob's mensa.dk link. Højt!

But that's "beregnet ved brug af spredningen 15." With a click of a button I can "omregn til spredningen" 24 and upgrade my IQ to 145!

Jacob, your score is based on standard deviation setting of 15, right? Is that the standard for setting the scores to compare to other IQ tests? Funny how someone could think they have a super high IQ which could have been their legitimate score from a high quality test, but with a higher standard deviation resulting in "grade inflation".

There's an English version here: http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf
But no sound or color, and you have to stick with the lowly standard deviation of 15.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Right. 15 is the modern standard for the standard deviation and I adjust my [expressed] test scores to that. It's annoying that adjusting an IQ score always requires some detective work to figure out what its sd is, but it's either 15 (modern), 16 (Binet), or 24 ("classic").

They could do away with all this ambiguity by just expressing the score as a percentile.

Infamous

Post by Infamous »

132 and I had a few drinks

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Infamous wrote:132 and I had a few drinks
I scored 70 and was sober.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Papers of Indenture wrote:I'd imagine the substantial majority of people here would fall into the 120+ category on a professionally administered IQ test.
I doubt it. 115 would seem more reasonable. I would get more than 120 but that's because I have had access to the answer manual :D

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

:lol: I guessed on 20% and got 130. Gee, that felt good know why?

I scored 98 as a kid in a public school screening. I recall spending most of my time trying to figure out how I'd slip the pencil past the proctor without returning it. Mom was really mad because my siblings tested at the top of the scale.

They look unbelievably stupid now after a fifty year real time experiment. The funny part is when they compare our relative success they bring up my old IQ result in bewilderment. I just let them try to explain the puzzle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

As an ex-Mensa member (did not pay to renew membership after 1st yr, but can be reinstated anytime by parting with $), IQ tests and academic, puzzle solving intelligence is overrated in terms of impact on most people's life.

Unless one is going to be John Nash or Einstein, high IQ is not needed for a successful life. And even then they were pretty miserable socially. Meeting some Mensa folks further confirmed this.
Just don't be stupid - that's good enough.

In ERE too, once beyond basic SWR, immunity against SHTF comes from how many people are willing to say take you in versus the size of your prepper stash.

With 7.2 billion humans, applied intelligence is more about meaningful connections between humans than between our own neurons.

Currently staying on 100 acres of off-grid solar property with its own water supply, root cellar, food storage, ammo and guns - great in peace time. In a SHTF scenario, this place would be so run over.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Go through the test CMonkey posted again, and punch in random guesses. Try it a few times.
I wager you'll always come out above average and that you'll see that quick advert for growing your already 'above average' potential.

Lake Wobegon IQ testing...

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Eh, scored 104 on one posted in first post :oops:, bit ashamed to be average in such group. Explains a lot :lol:. Guessed on 10, took paper notes during doing this on PC, I was also a bit distracted (toilet, sending SMS).

BTW, does in real test can you take notes or cross off answers you don't like? I've once done proxy IQ test and it was live version type (no possibilty to fiddle with pen and paper, no possibility to go back etc.)

Taking a look on this famous occupation list by IQ.

Walwen

Post by Walwen »

I always feel like these IQ tests are too math-heavy. Perhaps it's a personal bias, but when I think of intelligent people, I think of people who are able to understand communication and communicate well in return. That they understand and are understandable. That and reasoning skills. Not really mental math or finding patterns.
However I know a large issue with non-math-y IQ tests are cultural differences. Someone might bomb a comprehension test, not because they're stupid, but because it's about something they have no concept of.