IQ Test

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
black_son_of_gray

Re: IQ Test

Post by black_son_of_gray »

jacob wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:37 pm
Would it surprise you to learn that I fall under the marginal strategy in that article?
Apparently, I straddled the line between marginal and committed, in varying ways and at different times, but mostly on the committed side. Bullet dodged. I also had a period of a few years during development where things were pretty emotionally/socially dicey*, but it's difficult to tease apart how much of that was "giftedness" vs. having uprooted and moved across the country vs. typical pubertal bedlam.

*I haven't read up in this field, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of "critical period" window during childhood that really sets the tone/flips the switch on maladjustment. That would be consistent with the somewhat binary framing of difference in kind at 150 that the article makes. Also, the timing of IQ development makes for interesting variability. E.g. A person could be precocious very early on, then somewhat regress as peers catch up later, or there could be the "late bloomer" who had a relatively normal childhood but just slowly outpaces their social sphere over time. Perhaps the worst would be to be precocious, and then also outpace peers over time. In other words, if 150 is actually some bizarrely specific line in the sand, it might matter greatly when you hit 150. Unless I'm misunderstanding IQ (likely), a 150 eight year old != a 150 eighteen year old.
Hollingworth identified a number of adjustment problems caused by school acceleration. As this is rarely practiced in today’s educational system, these are no longer problems and will not be discussed.
@jacob, were you by any chance accelerated in school? I was offered skipped grades/special programs, but never took up the offers. In fact, one of the lovely quirks of the American K-12 system is that when I moved in high school, the new school system I entered had a slightly different progression for coursework, which meant I was stuck a grade behind for a while in some areas due to how they chopped up the material. For some reason, I didn't really care, the other students didn't really care that I was a year older, and the teachers on the whole didn't really care if I just doodled for most of the class given my test scores. I suppose if I were any smarter the "comfortable ease" could have turned into "disruptive boredom" pretty easily. That being said, it was probably a good thing that I wasn't skipped up the grades faster. Bullet dodged.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Henry wrote:Following the Schopenhauer quote, people have to find their non-essential wants through imitation because that's what people are - imitators. We search for value. If people come to this board, they are looking to imitate those are successful in ERE. The "leaders" of the board are not the high IQ's but the highly committed high IQ's. Subsequently, a low IQ person who is successful in ERE will be more valuable than a high IQ person who still lives with his mother because the former has imitative value where the latter does not.
Yes, but this depends on whether you believe the core value of ERE is "saving up enough money to live independently and not work for others" OR "reducing consumption/spending to level that will not contribute to burning down of the planet." I know I was burning up fewer resources/spending less when I was sponging living accommodations off of one of my partners than I am now living on my own in my tiny apartment. Living by yourself is usually going to be more expensive, and although the ideal of the heterosexual, high IQ frugal male might be to find a female partner who is willing to be ripped off by agreeing to a 50/50 split of expenses and also provision of sexual access, this arrangement is not always available.

Also, if a high IQ INTX male is living with his mother, the arrangement is likely going to vibe less like what you might be imagining, and more like Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock Holmes' housekeeper/landlady. The day his father moved out due to our impending divorce, my INTP son turned to me and cooly said "I guess this means more food for me?"

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

I fall into the twice exceptional category (2e). I am intellectually gifted, but I also have a learning disability (dyslexia). I started pre-school early for my age, but I failed because I did not interact with any of the other children. I only wanted to interact with the adults. Why would I want to spend my time with kids who were still pooping their pants and playing with blocks larger than their esophagus? I already had a bunch of Legos at home and could build animal traps or shelters, or do leatherworking on the weekends.

I learned very early to hide my intelligence and use it to become a social chameleon. I survived grade school by helping the teachers teach the other kids. They couldn't "accelerate" me because my spelling and reading comprehension under timed testing scenarios were relatively poor. The concept of twice exceptional (2e) wasn't widely recognized back then, and the research was just starting to make its way into teaching discussions. Based on the reading this was actually a blessing in disguise.

College was where I finally felt I could explore intellectually and make it as challenging as I wanted. I took a full course load, worked part-time, and belonged to a few clubs and found smart folks that were interested in climbing and mountain biking.

... various details ...

When I started interviewing for faculty positions, my postdoc advisor sat me down and said:

"mF, you may not realize this, but you come across as very intimidating. This is not your fault, and there isn't much you can do about it. People will be intimidated by you, and it may manifest in strange ways. Keep this in mind when reflecting on your interviews."

Sure enough, the post-interview feedback didn't focus on my work or ideas at all. The feedback was about "how I dressed" (formal, informal, etc.) or some other trivial detail. What was actually happening was that I was being filtered based on how much I could be bullied into various assistant professor committee tasks. I am fine being a member of a committee and a team player for that type of stuff, but I won't say yes to anything I don't actually want to do. I was also rejected once because I said "I couldn't care less about football. I applied here to work in a good department." I did not say the following, but I prefer spending my weekends doing sports rather than getting drunk and watching them.

Fuck all that. So I started a company instead to work on my ideas within a different system. We raised a bunch of VC money and proved that the ideas worked. At some point post series-A and after recruiting and hiring the scientific team to continue with implementation, I had to decide whether to focus solely on management or "demote" myself to continue doing research. I achieved what I set out to do—to demonstrate that my ideas would work. I started winding down my position over six months, left on good terms, and then took my art sabbatical.

All of this is to provide a few examples and to say that the linked articles align well with my experience. Specifically, the discussion of eventually being pushed out.

Now my work is completely within my control. How it is accepted matters little.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@mF:

I think there is more than a little overlap in the Venn diagram of High IQ, Male, Oppositional Defiant. High IQ females, in my experience, are less likely to display as Oppositional Defiant, and more likely to simply just do whatever they want to do, as in “Uh, yeah, your hierarchy doesn’t apply to me.”

Of course, personality type also applies. For instance, my high IQ and also musically gifted cuckoo-bananas INFP sister is currently in almost complete seclusion composing a neo-classical symphony. I think the first thing my high IQ xNtj daughter learned how to say was “I can do it myself!” Her biggest complaint about some of her lifelong more “normie” female friends is that some of them believe in astrology. We recently had a conversation about how it might be possible to tolerate conversations about “ghosts” at the level of recognizing that most human cultures have independently invented the concept.
Last edited by 7Wannabe5 on Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

@7 Wisdom and respect of course! I had to climb the social ladder from lower rungs to realize that it did not matter. I wish I had some more female friends like you describe when I was young.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Yeah, high IQ females are rather surprisingly high in demand. I think something like “Once you do 140, that’s your shortie” applies.

I think this is due in part to the fact that many men can’t stand being dumped by somebody expressing her displeasure in purely rational terms.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

haha. I have been lucky now 2x in the 140 shortie department.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

There is an alternate path to the marginal strategy represented in the forums compared to the one laid out in that article:

Path on forum: When a person is 1) able to get into a white collar/high-IQ-niche profession 2) disagreeable and therefore avoids ideological discipline (ie Schmidt's Disciplined Minds) required for many professions which results in 3) searching for a way to live without the profession in order to have more freedom (ie FI).

Path from the article: The person doesn't get onto the white collar/high-IQ-niche track as a young adult and is unable/unwilling to do so later, too, whether due to lack of cultural capital, lack of financial capital, falling into "disruptive boredom" as bsog put it, encouragement from retirement forums for bright students to head into a trade (@7w5 ;)), or other reasons.

Henry

Post by Henry »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:22 am
Yes, but this depends on whether you believe the core value of ERE is "saving up enough money to live independently and not work for others" OR "reducing consumption/spending to level that will not contribute to burning down of the planet."
The ethos of this board is the latter as the board is an extension of the book or possible vice versa. Chicken and the egg. We all know the board that values the formmmer as it has posters bragging about not buying Porsches and meeting up at wine bars scrolling their stock holdings while listening to birth of cool Jazz bands while the latter has posters who shit into a pipe and have meetups in the woods where they pack all their belongings into their sweaty bandanas and have classes about how to make woodworking tools out of fossilized coyote shit. Not to say there is not crossover but you know what are the valued core tenets are.

The personality acronym soup thing is not my bag. It's like a psychological horoscope. Everyone has the traits. Maybe some are more dominant. But the more you repeat to yourself who you are the more you listen to yourself tell yourself who you are.

My point is we imitate. And we know the guy here who is the ideal to which we imitate. We all fall in line somewhere. I just happen to be the guy who couldn't stand the white wine drinking not buying Porsche douchebags who can't commit to wiping his asshole with unused supermarket coupons.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@mathiverse:

In addition to "disruptive boredom" (which I suffered from big time, the first class I ever studied for was AP Chemistry in 11th grade), and garden variety "disagreeable", there are also problems related to "will not do work for adult whom I do not respect, because clearly lower IQ than me*" and "precocity." For instance, I dropped out of school with plan to "educate myself in the library" when I was 15, due in part to alienation and boredom, but also because reading adult novels by age 11 led to seducing adult men by age 15. I think one of the reasons I tend towards sexually objectifying men more than most other women I know is that my first few partners were definitely lower IQ than me, so I mostly appreciated them at the level of interesting and amazing "force of nature."

High IQ is heritable, and runs in families like mine (my 4th sister is also very high IQ, my 3rd sister is above average IQ, very socially popular jock type, or as she has expressed it with great good humor "In any normal family, I would be the smart one." ) but it is also very "sporty", so it will pop up even in the underclass realms where I sometimes teach, and these kids will often be mislabeled by "normie" teachers as behavior-disordered, because their tendency towards opposition defiance will come out as @%$&*@#$&. Maybe one of these days I will try to organize a garden-based mathematics tutoring program for low income, disagreeable, IQ gifted children and try to get all of you tightwads to chip in towards the funding.

*I had to advocate for my son, who was the Southeast Michigan Spelling Bee champion due to having a certain degree of eidetic memory in addition to very high IQ, one time when he was in middle school and refused to do work for an English teacher who was not a terrific speller. I, of course, attempted to convince him that spelling ability was not necessarily indicative of intelligence and sometimes you have to go along to get along, but he argued "Well, if she is an English teacher then it should be her job to double-check herself." etc.etc. etc. So, they were going to transfer him to the English class for the slow students, and I had to call the school and tell them that I was going to lodge a complaint about their lack of mandated facilitation of gifted students and/or home school him. Then I asked my son, "Will you please do your work, so that I don't have to deal with the headache of having to interact with this bureaucracy?" and that worked, because he is fond of me. Otherwise, he was always an extreme Stoic shit-head, who would respond to any conventional form of punishment with statements such as "There is nothing you can do that will hurt me." and proving it by sitting in a chair staring at a blank wall entertaining himself with his own thoughts for 6 hours straight.

OTOH, my DD was so hyper-conscienscious, she would frequently feel guilty or expect me to be upset about behavior that I really didn't care about at all. For instance, she tried to hide the fact that she got a teeny-tiny tattoo from me, and I was like "Are you just imagining that I am some highly judgmental mother that only exists in your own head?" She is also more in the classic nerd mode. She actually hostesses an online D&D group (which she informed me is now more cool than when I was young.) and all of her best friends from the extremely expensive private university she attended on academic scholarship were from a group that was selected to attend a state-sponsored boarding high school for gifted students.

CS

Post by CS »

I think that article perhaps misses that things can and do go the other direction (to more well adjusted) as the person gets older. Or adjusted in terms of... ?

Not to spill too many personal details that aren't mine to spill, but I do know of one (male) person of the triple 9 variety who could not be bothered to fit in as a youth. Or tried several times and had to walk away with a GED and a few failed attempts at college only done to please the folks.

Fast foward 30 years - They now own a multimillion dollar business operating world-wide doing something they are passionate about (not the first business attempt, mind you) with nearly 100 employees, having not worked for anyone else since the tender age of 18. Is that adjusted? Some would say yes, but certainly the path was not MBA to mentorship to business.

I wonder how many small businesses are just the survival techniques of 'outsiders'?'

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:02 pm
She is also more in the classic nerd mode. She actually hostesses an online D&D group (which she informed me is now more cool than when I was young.)
Yeah, I think you can almost call it mainstream since they just made a DnD movie, and you can casually mention Critical Role in conversation and many people will have heard of it at the minimum. Many 20 through 30 year olds when asked if they would want to play something like Dnd will now say "yeah, I've been curious since I saw it on TV, I might be interested". Credit is largely to Stranger things for making people Dnd curious, and to Critical Role for taking something incredibly niche and using a phenomenal cast of voice actors / friends to make a media empire out of it (2 full animated shows in addition to the live "Actual Play", and looking like they are gonna take the actual reins from WotC who are quickly ruining the DnD brand).

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Henry:

:lol:
The personality acronym soup thing is not my bag. It's like a psychological horoscope. Everyone has the traits. Maybe some are more dominant. But the more you repeat to yourself who you are the more you listen to yourself tell yourself who you are.
True at the level of "When you label me you negate me" but it's difficult to function in a system absent of categorization, and this problem exists for any sort of "label." For instance, I might also loop homeostasic in accordance with "female", "middle-class", or "middle-aged."
My point is we imitate. And we know the guy here who is the ideal to which we imitate. We all fall in line somewhere.
I guess maybe I don't really grok this point that you and Ego are trying to make, because I don't think I share enough "labels" (inclusive of umptweenty IQ points) or life experience with Jacob to imitate him. Also, he was probably running around in a diaper and a Darth Vader mask when I was old enough to be making out with boys named "Ace" in the rolling rink parking lot ;) I mean, I think "ERE" is a brilliant book towards generalized lifestyle design, but the fact that it is "generalized" means that any attempt to directly imitate Jacob would be in effect tossing in the trash the majority of its value.

I'm rambling on a bit here on the topic of high IQ, because it's fun for me like doing a million burpees is fun for some of the rest of you. My father, who was not at all the typical Mensa type, more like a cross between Fred MacMurray and James Garner, took the test and missed by a couple points. I think he was motivated to take it simply because he liked competitions, and his semi-famous lawyer father and his forever a grad-student younger brother were also very high IQ. When he and my bi-polar mother would fight, it was just like Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" Just having at each other with the crisply, cutting words, words, words, words...

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:05 pm
I'm rambling on a bit here on the topic of high IQ, because it's fun for me like doing a million burpees is fun for some of the rest of you.
Hehe, both are fun for me.

I find the discussion insightful. For one, after reading stuff from under Quora links I now gather better what's all about training the generals etc. etc. and essentially being a consultant.

It is also I believe a choice to be made, whether to keep on adopting a marginal strategy or become committed. Making the world go round or go forward is in essence the question of whether one wants to be someone or do something, from elsewhere on the forum. Ideally those having the world go round would be consulting, or collaborating with, these that try to make it go forward.

I did an official test once because MENSA folk came to my uni and were administering it for free by the occasion of a brain week festival sort of thing. I never did much about the result but recently have used the fact as a wild card to almost get a bursary for a maths project. But this discussion has been stimulating for me to try to think of it more as a resource and what to do with it just like with any other resource.

Also, I had created synthetic samples from the specs in the 'Outsiders' article and came up with boxplots of these distributions for more visually inclined like e.g. @mF.

ETA: Did another simulation with a conditional split as per the buckets in the article (though the author there talks about males only where I include them both). Fun to brush up on R skills this way.

Note1: This is from simulated data based on the counts, means and standard deviations from here

Note2: for the bar charts, y-axis scale differs between the bar charts so it is only the 'shape' that can be compared.

Last edited by guitarplayer on Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

black_son_of_gray wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:34 pm
*I haven't read up in this field, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of "critical period" window during childhood that really sets the tone/flips the switch on maladjustment. That would be consistent with the somewhat binary framing of difference in kind at 150 that the article makes. Also, the timing of IQ development makes for interesting variability. E.g. A person could be precocious very early on, then somewhat regress as peers catch up later, or there could be the "late bloomer" who had a relatively normal childhood but just slowly outpaces their social sphere over time. Perhaps the worst would be to be precocious, and then also outpace peers over time. In other words, if 150 is actually some bizarrely specific line in the sand, it might matter greatly when you hit 150. Unless I'm misunderstanding IQ (likely), a 150 eight year old != a 150 eighteen year old.

@jacob, were you by any chance accelerated in school? I was offered skipped grades/special programs, but never took up the offers. In fact, one of the lovely quirks of the American K-12 system is that when I moved in high school, the new school system I entered had a slightly different progression for coursework, which meant I was stuck a grade behind for a while in some areas due to how they chopped up the material. For some reason, I didn't really care, the other students didn't really care that I was a year older, and the teachers on the whole didn't really care if I just doodled for most of the class given my test scores. I suppose if I were any smarter the "comfortable ease" could have turned into "disruptive boredom" pretty easily. That being said, it was probably a good thing that I wasn't skipped up the grades faster. Bullet dodged.
I don't think there's a magic cut-off number in terms of adjusted and not adjusted. (Also see guitarplayer's plot above.) Rather, it's all a matter of statistical distribution with individuals differing. Samples with higher means have a correspondingly and increasingly much higher incidence of the not-adjusted at the tails of the distribution. Compare to climate change and how an increase of a few degrees of average temperature leads to a much higher incidence of adverse extreme temperature events than the relatively small shift of the mean implies.

I do think that there's a "critical period" or perhaps critical periods that don't necessarily only happen during childhood. In particular, the adjustment problem is not a distribution over absolute IQ. Rather, it is a distribution relative to the environment of the given individual. Surely other aspects of the person like personality and temperament also plays a role. The "twice exceptional" or "twice outlier" issue as noted by mF.

Childhood IQs tend to have a much higher range given they're age adjusted. E.g. if a child at age 6 scores the same as a child of age 12, then the 6yo has twice the IQ of the 12yo. Basically, the young one is just ahead of his years. This is also what's behind the idea of skipping grades. As the kid grows up many end up having their IQ score drop due to losing the age-adjustment bonus. IOW, having an IQ of 180 as a child is not as impressive as it sounds---it may well turn into 130 as an adult.

It's also worthwhile to consider the difference between fluid intelligence, which is what researchers generally try to measure, and crystallized intelligence, which is how that fluid intelligence has been applied to grow the neural wiring (e.g. chunking), which again depends on personality. For example, two persons with equal fluid intelligence will end up with very different kinds of crystallized intelligence if the former is an ESTP who is an athlete and the latter is an INTJ who reads a lot of esoteric books.

To answer your question, I was not accelerated in school, because the Danish education philosophy at the time was that socialization and "working together" (SD:Green through and through) was more important than intellectual stimulation. (Fortunately things are changing! Over the past 5-10 years there's been an increasing recognition that gifted children also have "special" needs and that while making them help out the dumb kids might take a load of the teacher, it does no favors to the gifted kid.) As such I was thrown in with the general population. Initially I was hungry for learning. My parents have told me how I eagerly asked the teacher for some homework on the first day of real school. (In preschool, I was mostly sitting by myself drawing and typing numbers... not smashing toys together like most other kids.) She told me to go home and write the alphabet. Which I did. The class then spent the entire school year learning how to "draw" the letters at a rate of about one week per letter (AAAAAAAAAAA, next week BBBBB, ...ZZZZ... aaaaa...). By the third grade, I was thoroughly bored with school and checked out mentally. A recurring theme from the teachers was that "little Jacob should engage more and put his hand up when I know he knows the answer". I didn't see the point of sitting with my hand up all the time---also that would attract unwanted (tall poppy) attention from the other kids. Some teachers are oblivious to this aspect.

I'm some 30-45 points above the rest of the family, who all hail from Church's labor ladder. If I didn't look so much like them, one might speculate I might have been mixed up with another baby at the hospital. As far as I have been able to find out, there's no one in my genetic line who is anything like me. Despite that they helped me as much as they could, taking me to the library when I asked, etc. but they also couldn't direct me or understand why I found school so incredibly boring or why I claimed that I wasn't learning anything. Around the 7th grade, I was ahead of them in terms of what we could talk about. After finishing the 9th grade, I seriously considered leaving school forever, which in an option in the Danish school system. However, having no other plans, I went on to high school. Part of the polymathic interests likely came about because I was randomly casting around for something mentally stimulating. I spent a lot of time in the library and on the computer (back when home computers were rare; fortunately my parents were very supportive of this activity and didn't insist that "I go play with the other kids"). Note that the school system actively frowned upon reading ahead of class. The system was essentially anti-acceleration. You were supposed to keep pace with the rest of the class. As such interests had to be found elsewhere, like computing.

I got online in 1989 or so. This was the first time I met people with high horsepower brains. (Back then getting online was its own intelligence test.) I started hanging out on the forums of the that time (fidonet). My teachers noted how my essays suddenly became much better. I was learning how to argue a point, not from school or at home, but arguing online with people like myself.

A co-factor to the marginal strategy is likely also that I grew up with a labor perspective on how the world worked. "As long as you do your job, you will be rewarded // Hard work is its own reward." This is stark contrast to the higher Gentry who actively networks and strategizes about their career. While I was being bored out of a my mind in the 7th grade solving 2x+4=0 in class, some of my future university friends were already solving differential equations (normally not encountered in school before grade 12) courtesy of having parents who happened to be engineers or STEM professors. This is a similar to the problem in the US where underprivileged kids get a free ride to a prestigious university yet fail to translate that into career success because while they know how to work hard and get good grades, they are oblivious to the game of networking with the professors/alumni/etc. because nobody told them how that is even more important than grades.

When I was 15, now slacking off in high school, I met a guy online who was only a year older but way ahead of me in math. I decided to break the verboten rule about not reading ahead in class and headed to the HS library to pick up some college books on math and physics. This eventually lead to the phd and 5 years of postdoc'ing. However, to me it eventually still felt more like "pointless homework" than a career. I was just publishing paper after paper and slowly losing interest. I suspect having multiple interests had rendered my perspective incompatible with a career in academia. I noticed how my peers would generally only have two interests in their life. Their profession and one other thing, like architecture or playing the piano, that they had been practicing for 20-30 years. Whereas I was all over the map in terms of my interests because I was in the habit of finding my own stimulation rather than having my cravings directed in the direction of a specific career path.

In conclusion: Marginally adjusted. Once you go polymath, it's very hard to go back to being a committed monomath. Indeed, I think it would require too much brain rewiring. My mind is way more lateral and synthetic than the typical professional's. Doing the same kind of analysis over and over reminds me too much of the school system.

xmj

Post by xmj »

I'll add one point which contributes a lot more to becoming and remaining an Outsider than is commonly admitted:

The fact that people who choose to internationally relocate (as expat, immigrant, emigrant, or whatever - even works between states/cities in the US, I presume) do not experience the compounding effects of having a great self-selected/filtered/truncated-distribution social network **in one place**, and have to go through The Window (t3x) over and over and over again.

When I compare my life history and its transitions (DE->CH, CH->EE, EE->CH, CH+EE simultaneously, now mostly CH) to the friends I made in university that did a PhD (or, in one case, two) or an MSc (or, in one case, three) and stayed in-country, their network has not suffered from any interruption in compounding, and so I have to now go out and meet a lot more people to obtain the handful people locally that they've always had all along.

Which is a factor that, in the frame of The Window, is an obvious fact of expatriate life that is completely absent of any meaningful discussion of the pros and cons.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

I never liked that the results of the IQ tests are given on relative scale. I mean, one person scored 140 and another 160, but if the absolute difference between them was just getting say two more questions out of a hundred right, then maybe the 160 is not that much smarter than 140 (even if he is much more rare)?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@zbigi - Questions usually get exponentially harder the later they appear in the test. If one or two questions makes a big difference in the result, then the test is not calibrated for the range. E.g. using a "100"-test to measure 150. This is why "150"-tests also exist. A person of average intelligence may not even get one question right on such a test, but it would give a more accurate assessment of the 125-175 range, say.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

There is also quite strong correlation between high IQ and longevity even factoring in the increased risk of suicide for high IQ males. Recent studies indicate that this may be more due to genetic factors than the theory that those with high IQ are more likely to make good lifestyle decisions*. High IQ is associated with an overall greater level of "bodily integrity", reaction time, and telomere length. IOW, there is some evidence that those with high IQ generally retain more plasticity over a longer lifespan. This would, obviously, also fit nicely with theories of development in adulthood such as Kegan's.

*For instance, the correlation between high IQ and wealth/net-worth seems to be much weaker than the correlation between high IQ and longevity ( .16 vs. .79) Which might help explain why this forum is not, IMO, a balanced representation of those with high IQ compared to some other "niches" I have inhabited, even one in which one of the two alphas was very much like Jacob (he eventually became one of the founders of Craigslist.)

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:05 am
this forum is not, IMO, a balanced representation of those with high IQ
Are you saying we're stupid? :D